square or oval?

diesel

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember reading somewhere that the key to a good landing was a stable approach, then I read something that made more sense, something to do with making a good landing from 'any' approach.So these days, when I'm playing with others, I fly the rectangle or racetrack approach as required for safety, when I have the paddock to myself, I fly all sorts of different approaches to mix it up.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

If you are doing a precautionary outlanding in a paddock or forced landing it won't often be a standard final if you do the safest technique. . If you have a row of trees in your way on the final you choose, you would be better flying along them and a slipping turn onto short final than attempting to fly over them from further away. Nev

• Like 1

I've done a lot of glide approaches, from every part of the circuit, with the slightly wider circuit. (it's 1/2 mile vs 3/4 mile).typical glide ratio is what, 8:1 up to 10:1 for most LSA-class aircraft? so you should be able to go 1.3 nm from 1000ft, excluding turning distance.

Under ideal conditions with a pilot sticking to exact numbers and balance. In reality I wouldn't want to be that far out.

I have had an instructor pull power on me when I got a touch to far out and reaction time can take a lot of that 1.3 theoretical nm off you in a big hurry. I like to keep the runway/threshold about 1/2 to 3/4 up the strut in a highwing (of course each one is different) and that normally gets me in quite safely without power.

• Like 1

When they first introduced aircraft carriers, during the initial training (or the period of trying to work out the best way to land on a bucking pitching rolling playing field) quite a few ended up smacking into the back of the ship or just bounced off the deck as the pilots just could not see over the nose of the beast they were flying. So someone worked out the rounded approach to the problem. It gave a greater view of the deck and gave a more stabilized approach.

I prefer a rounded circuit for the same reasons. Better view of the runway and aircraft moving around on it. Some instructors don't like them and some do. I make my own decisions. And rounded is the one. Bit like the old argument in the US, Navy verses Air Force.

Another approach to the subject is a rounded approach eliminates the over shooting of the base to finals turn that has wiped the faces of more than a few when they cranked the turn up and booted in some more rudder. "Oops" was probably the last thing they said as the windscreen filled with rooftops or green grass.

Military pilots fly oval ccts because that is what they are taught. The reason they have been taught that is because forward visibility on their fighters is not great when on final with a high angle of attack. The Mirage was very bad for that. I haven't flown in a Hornet so I have no idea about it. What I do know about the military is that if they have done something for generations it is very hard to bring about change.

Personally I fly both square and oval depending on the aircraft I am in and who else is in the cct. I do not cut in on the aircraft in front, it's not safe. I suggest that if you are having to use much power at all on base and/or final your ccts are too big. Do yourself and those behind you a favor and tighten up. You'll save time and money and be safer.

• Like 2

When they first introduced aircraft carriers, during the initial training (or the period of trying to work out the best way to land on a bucking pitching rolling playing field) quite a few ended up smacking into the back of the ship or just bounced off the deck as the pilots just could not see over the nose of the beast they were flying. So someone worked out the rounded approach to the problem. It gave a greater view of the deck and gave a more stabilized approach.I prefer a rounded circuit for the same reasons. Better view of the runway and aircraft moving around on it. Some instructors don't like them and some do. I make my own decisions. And rounded is the one. Bit like the old argument in the US, Navy verses Air Force.

Another approach to the subject is a rounded approach eliminates the over shooting of the base to finals turn that has wiped the faces of more than a few when they cranked the turn up and booted in some more rudder. "Oops" was probably the last thing they said as the windscreen filled with rooftops or green grass.

I read that British Navy introduced an oval circuit when they introduced the F4U. Because of the long nose, they couldn't see the deck on final, so made a constant turn for downwind, base and final right to the deck, where the guy with the paddles took over.

I haven't flown in a Hornet so I have no idea about it.

The viz is exceptional, just look at some youtube videos, the whole reason for the oval ccts is efficiency & its also much easier to get on the extended centerline in all wind conditions.080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

• Agree 1