Overseas Licences

Airlawyer1

Sorry he cant, there is no version of a Sport Pilot Licence in Australia that's compatible with a USA issued license. He would have to do the RA-Aus certificate over again although he would get some dispensations. I know this because i had a friend try exactly the same.

I have a friend coming in from the US who has a US Sport Pilot's Licence, does anyone know if or how, he can get that converted to fly an Oz registered aircraft?

Welcome Air lawyer1, I can't help you with your question but just wanted to welcome you seeing as you are basically local:thumb up:.

I have a friend coming in from the US who has a US Sport Pilot's Licence, does anyone know if or how, he can get that converted to fly an Oz registered aircraft?

I think they might be better off upgrading to a PPL in the US and flying here under that

• Agree 1

As far as a USA PPL would be no problem changing with CASA. As for RAA all time is recognised and a pilot certificate criteria is in the ops manual is section 2-13 .

RA-Aus OPERATIONS MANUAL

Section 2.13-1 ISSUE 7 –OCTOBER 2014

SECTION 2.13

RECOGNISED FLIGHT TIME AND/OR QUALIFICATIONS

For the purpose of this manual recognised flight time is:

1. For gaining a Group A Pilot Certificate and associated Endorsements,

Ratings and Approvals:

2. (a) dual and pilot in command hours gained in obtaining and maintaining a CASA aeroplane, helicopter, gyroplane, airship licence or overseas equivalents or Australian Defence Forces wings standard, overseas equivalents, a GFA Glider Rating or overseas equivalents and endorsements, ratings and approvals associated with these qualifications; and

3. (b) dual and pilot in command hours gained in obtaining a CASA Recreational Pilot Licence and former equivalent or graduation from an Australian Defence Force basic pilot’s course, whatever called; or

©verified logbook entries of training undertaken towards the attainment of a Licence or Certificate with a recognised organisation; or

[*]For gaining a Group B or C or D or F Pilot Certificate and associated Endorsements, Ratings and Approvals:

(a) all dual and pilot in command hours flown when obtaining a Pilot Certificate with another RAAO, or equivalent overseas qualification and endorsement, rating and approval associated with these qualifications for the corresponding Aeroplane Group; or

(b)verified logbook entries of training undertaken towards the attainment of a Licence or Certificate with a recognised organisation.

[*]Notwithstanding Paragraphs 1 and 2 of this Section, the Operations Manager may disallow overseas qualifications without recourse.

[*]For the purpose of this manual recognised qualifications are validated Licences, Certificates, Endorsements, Ratings and Approvals and overseas equivalents from recognised NAAs and RAAOs.

page80image8016 page80image8100

From first hand experience, the CASA options are very inflexible. I asked about using a UK PPL to obtain a RPL (to avoid having to go through the AVMED medical debacle . The only option offered was PPL to PPL, then once PPL issued downgrade it to a RPL.

I think they might be better off upgrading to a PPL in the US and flying here under that

Whoa! It's not that simple.

The licence is relatively OK but the ASIC that may well be required is almost impossible in a short enough timeframe to be useful . The introduction of ASIC killed several very successful group hire/tag along flying businesses because the time it takes to get an ASIC is often in the order of months.

Not sure what the current time frame is but I suspect it will still make life difficult or unviable for a visit here.

• Agree 1

From first hand experience, the CASA options are very inflexible. I asked about using a UK PPL to obtain a RPL (to avoid having to go through the AVMED medical debacle . The only option offered was PPL to PPL, then once PPL issued downgrade it to a RPL.

https://www.casa.gov.au/sites/g/files/net351/f/_assets/main/lib100191/rr61_medical_fs.pdf

you can fly a PPL with a RAMPC - there are limits to what you can do with it though - generally 1 PAX, SE max 1500Kg, DayVFR, under 10,000ft. One thing you can't do is a PPL Flight test without a class 1 or 2 medical. (whoops, another stuffup with Part61). If you have a safety pilot with a class 1 or 2 you can do more.

ASICS take about a week to two at the moment, my renewal was done in a week.

That would be good but Renewals always take a lot less than initial ones so that may not be reflective of what it would take for a transient visitor.

ASICS take about a week to two at the moment, my renewal was done in a week.

I did a renewal about 3 weeks ago, no ASIC yet. Mine is still valid till the end of December, so not a problem yet.

I don't know who is to blame or praise for what - in the end it's irrelevant. It's the final product that's important.

Its a matter of public record that in the initial couple of years the delays in provision of the final output was so slow that two companies that I know of closed down due to delays for ASICs for overseas pilots coming to Australia.

And it's a matter of fact that I personally have lost about 8 months worth of value of what I paid due to successive delays each time I had to renew through Merimbula. In the beginning there was no capacity to elect when they did action on your application. You sent in the forms and when they got to yours they started. When they finished you got the card. I went for 4 months without an active card once. But it was irrelevant anyway as I have only had anyone look at my card a couple of times in all the years the cards have existed.

I have now managed to get around it by getting mine through the local international airport internal ASIC system. They have some sort of expedited system because they are catering for workers for the airport, the airlines etc. got my renewal in 4 working days recently.

You must be the only one.

I've been involved with an aero club as board member, SAAA chapter president, secretary and technician counsellor and the tales of rip- off with delays and obfuscation in the ASIC chain that I have seen and assisted members with would have to be seen to be believed. I was pretty involved because we were operating out of an international airtime and all members had to have them to even walk out on the Tarmac. Not that anyone checked your card around your neck, but that was the rules and we tried to obey and enforce obeying.

But in getting those cards we saw everything from incompetence to outright lies and what in any other part of society would be really fraud .

Not saying where in the chain those events happened but they happened none the less.