Hello to all

Guest MMax

Hi Guys,

Thought I'd join the group and see what all the fuss is about?

I live in Adelaide. I ownand currentlyfly Minimax 1500R. I am very slowly building a Jodel D18 under my wifes guidance. Wow, what an assistant..!

I fly from a local ultralight club andflew trikes for many years.(owned an Edge and built a Pursuit ).

I have learnt the thrill of a goodlandingin a taildragger and the greater thrill of a poorer landing.....!

Regards Arthur Withy.

Hi Arthur

Welcome to the Forums. You will find them great fun, particularly if you have any questions while building your Jodel. A lot of experienced flyers and buildersfrom all directions use this site. Your Minimax looks a lot of fun and you fly with a great bunch of people at Truro Flats Airpark. See you there soon!

Best Regards ;)

Ed

G'day Arthur! just a quick question on how do you find the Minimax? general flying and performance?? i love small aircraft and have a set of Cri Cri plans here i will start work on some day, i have always liked the Minimax!

Thanks in advance!

Rob.

Guest danda

Hi Arthur I am only new to flying and I have found this forum fantastic great bunch of people only to willing to share their knowledge welcome aboard.

DON

Welcome to the gang Arthur, looking forward to your posts and build progress. Hey, with pics like that you should post some to the "Guess The Strip" thread. Don't you agree Geoff? Methinks all strips should have their names in big letters like Truro Flats ... makes the guessing easy.

Cheers, Paul

Thanks Paul,

You have me laughing already...!

In 450 hours and 50 airfields (approx) I have only seen the airfield name written on the ground twice...! Its probably the only way I know I'm home? and the fact I have a GPS..........only kidding?

Thanks for theWarm Welcome...it is refreshing to experience such enthusiasm. Lets all have a great time.

Answering Rob: Here is an email I posted to a flying friend in WA back in Jan 18th 2006.....hope this answers your question.

"Last Sunday I committed another 3 hoursof aviation in my newly aquired 1500R...........Great FUN.

I'm learning the thrill of taildragging, the excitement of a good landing and the greater excitement of a poor landing.

I took off at first light with almost calm air from the SE at ground level of 220FT AMSL.

I was carrying full wing and fuselage tanks(60 litres), with my GPS and digital camera.I took off and climbed to 2000 agl, veiwing the mighty River Murray over the nose.The air was cool, but not cold-no gloves required today. As the nerves settled I thought lets "go bash a few circuits". After 4 'touch and gos' and the purring rotax 447 probably waking the neighbours ,I climbed above the airfeild to 5000 feet...the air still smooth, but a few bumps as I passed through an inversion at 2500 feet. I did a large orbit to the left and did a few stalls. At 42mph indicated, theres a shudder to let me know the stall is coming. A gentle drop and I'm off again, thinking how privaliged we are to know these sensations, gotta love this flying stuff..!

I then relised the GPS was telling me I was travelling about 20 knots faster, in really smooth air, so I tracked 270 degrees and headed for Pauls about 30miles away.

Arriving at Pauls Farm, I circled at 500feet until I saw signs of life. I saw Paul heading for the car, so I did an overfly of his 500 yard strip and on my second approach (after scaring the kangaroos) I greased the Minimax onto the dirt strip. It was probably my best landing--and no one to see it.

( Of coarse..!)

Pauls strip is on the side of a hill- with a drop of about 250 feet in 250 yards- In windy weather Paul tells me he takesoff down hill only( owns a Soneria)- Probably exciting?

After an hour of chatting and a coffee, I checked over my Minimax and before departure , checked fuel remaining...Crikey...doesnt this aircraft use any fuel?

The take off was done up hill and into a slight crosswind...no worries...wer'e off and climbing in about 100 yards. I gave Paul a wing 'waggle' and the the Thumbs up from the open cockpit of "Maggie Mae". Arrival back at the club via 2 more airfeilds, I joined downwind for RNY 13..about 10knots on the nose...thermals popping...steering her in with a grip only a novice knows?

Hoping for no surprises.....and then the familar sound of the wheel bearings singing to me..!

I taxying back to the hanger, relaxing my grip, wondering how much fuel I'd used.After3 hours in the air, I'd only used the wing tanks...not bad. (approx 38 litres)

Had a great day."

The minimax is very light and positive on all the controls, and it's a pilots aeroplane. It is docile and forgiving in light to moderate weather. It is ( I believe) an easy aircraft to 3 point and lands best this way.Probably due it lack of mass and high drag...in windy, gusty weather It is a handful to get it back into the hanger.I have always found it easy to taxi even in strong winds and find the aircraft challenging when landing with a crosswind as it is very easy to lift a wing unless your ahead of the aeroplane.

I would describe the Minimax as a fun aeroplane to fly.

Not fast enough for serious cross-country work...its a bit like your bicycle...comes with a 'built in' headwind.

A real joy to fly. I have had lots of praise on the aircraft flight performance.

I think, by most people....itis an under rated..! or am I biased?

(over 1000 aircraft flying worldwide)

Keep well and see you soon Ed.

regards Arthur PS stall is 28 knots

Now Ive added my aircraft as an avartar...however, it a little distorted.

(Self taught trial and error.)

regards Arthur

Hi Ed

I am going up today to refit the Horizontal stabiliser, after replacing a few bolts on the Elevator clevis pin , tail spring and vacuuming the fuselage.

Will look at the weather.

regards Arthur

Thanks Darren.

Rob , forgot to mention the rudder is quite powerful and has a solid feel to it.

A good trait for a taildragger.

regards Arthur

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Guest

Hi Arthur

I saw Leo Powning on Saturday & told him you said "Hi"

He wondered how things were going with the MMax & your new project.

Thrasher

Thanks Steve.

hope to do some flying Sat or Sunday. I have replaced my tailwheel horn due to 'wear and tear'

regards Arthur

Guest Guest

Hi Arthur

Ah the fun of flying a Tail Dragger. We have had to replace our tail wheel recently on our little Thruster as we have four of us who are part owners & we have all been learning the Tail Wheel thing.

Do you Wheel it on or Three Point your MMax....

Hi Steve,

The aircraft is better to land when 3 pointed however I am learning in cross winds it seems better to wheel it on, however it seems a little more difficult.

The aircraft with a less than 290lb empty weight and lots of wing area, just wants to keep flying.

Taildraggers are real aeroplanes...!

regrards Arthur