Decoke

Russ

Don't know how good it is. you didn't suggest what it was to be used for.

Jabiry don't authorise any additives as far as I know and i would assume rotax are the same. Lycoming allow certain additives, but not liqui moly as far as i know.

My personal opinion is to stick with good engine oil and other lubricants and leave the mirale cures alone. Many years ago I used molybdenum di sulphide and found absolutely no advantage. then Shell brought out a Super oil and I found it cleaned up my high performance car engine very nicely. Cheaper than the additives. Of course modern oils are all better than that Shell product 45 years later.

• Agree 1

This " Molly" stuff......hearing it's good to clean out the engine ( carbon )

And carbon buildup in and around our valves is a source for problems, hence the topic.

it's a lubrication additive, how can it clean up carbon buildup around the valves? I tried liquid moly many years ago and found that it didn't live up to the claims. I'm still sceptical.

Besides, there's no substitute for sticking to the makers instructions.

• Agree 1

Please let me say straight up, I would NOT be using this stuff in an aero engine. Actually I'm too lazy to use it in any engine but thought this might be of interest to some.

I think that additives, whether they are in fuel or the oil, can be a good thing but the trouble is we are talking about putting them in aero engines and trusting them while we are well away from the ground. Soo I am not comfortable using them in my plane and am happy to stick to standard fuel and oil knowing that they are tried and tested and will very likely do the job I expect of them. Others may think differently and maybe are having trouble with excess carbon buildup so maybe experimenting can pay dividends but please please please be careful.

Russ, if you are thinking about it and do decide to try any form of additive I would strongly advise you NOT to do it if you are going cross country or anywhere near tiger country.

But I am NOT any sort of expert so my opinion is basically worthless but do be cautious.

Anyway here is the vid

Russ, years ago when I was an apprentice with Mack Trucks ( not actually Macks but a large dealer) I got the job of rebuilding our workshop EH ute engine, cant think what model red motor it was.

Dont know where I got the idea from but it was probably one of the older mechanics, it was to slowly pour rice down the carby throat while keeping it running. Engine was clapped anyway so not much

to loose. Next day after removing the muffler and armed with a small bag of rice I went about to decoke the engine. By this time near everyone around was looking on. Needed near full revs to keep it

running and it made noises that I never heard before, backfired and left burnt rice all over the workshop floor. Guess who had to clean it up haha! Well it decoked the engine beautifully and showed no

signs of mechanical damage, dont think the high compression engines today will handle that.

On another note back then we used to feed bon ami into the inlet on diesel engines to reduce oil consumption, mainly on the V8 Macks, from memory they needed it at about 60,000 miles. Never

on customers engines tho, my Dad had two V8s.

I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT ON ANY AIRCRAFT ENGINE OR ANY OTHER MODERN ENGINE.

Steve

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Well........received a "pm", an email, .....both guys report excellent results in their aero engines ( 1 jab)

3rd guy my way ( originally raised the topic to me ) uses similar product in his motors. .....Interesting.....

One guy reported....when his pull throughs get soft ( 1 or more cyls ) he doses his engine exactly as per directions, and comps return to good.

So just maybe.........there is informed results using legit product.

I've been using moreys in my fuel for some time now, absolutely swear by it, internals are spotless, comps always good. ( jab say....don't use, go figure )

so my gues that some off you back yard experts are not complying with the manufacture of jab motors is correct now what has been written here has been confirmedyou have **** in your own nest neil

Geez.....only do as jab says.....now where do I start here.

Nar.........why bother...... Perhaps shoot a mail off to camit, telling them,

" their mods" are unapproved by jab, therefore by your view....wrong.

Then there's a growing number of folks modding their engines, with proven end results.

Then there's one chap in particular ( lame) that almost has a cult following regarding HIS proven mods to jab engines.

So....how am I going so far ??

storchy, the problem with what Jabiru says is that they have to carry the legal consequences of anything they put in writing. So of course they have to be super-conservative even if they secretly think differently.

Of course if you use non-approved things you are on your own legally, and this is how it should be.

A lot of the "carbon" in a motor is in fact dust. No oil company recommends additives nor any aircraft engine manufacturer. You are illustrating that jabiru have little control over their products in the field.

Two stroke engines burn the oil and it is produced to NOT form excess carbon, or lower the octane number, like two strokes of old where the port blocked in a few thousand miles. Nev

• Agree 1

Russ,

Subaru have used a "spray into venturi (carbi-inlet of old name)) instead of removing the heads, to de-coke their engines with great results.

Personally tried on three different car motor's with same results, ie, removed the head to check for myself that it had cleaned right down to the piston rings.

I have rusting away in the yard a "Holden V8 block with pistons that was pulled apart to de-coke, & ended with the piston lands broken (the segment between the ring groove),

Plus scratched bore. The owner is still racing ,(Drifting that is), and now uses chemical spray to De-coke the replacement motor.

spacesailor

PS Subies have lots of alloy in their motor.

A lot of the "carbon" in a motor is in fact dust. No oil company recommends additives nor any aircraft engine manufacturer. You are illustrating that jabiru have little control over their products in the field.Two stroke engines burn the oil and it is produced to NOT form excess carbon, or lower the octane number, like two strokes of old where the port blocked in a few thousand miles. Nev

Neville....can recall yourself on several occasions recommending the use of 2 stroke oil ( added to fuels ) as benificial in " engines", you particularly made mention of best to use marine grade 2 stroke oil ( from memory....20ml / 20L fuel )....thereabouts.

Perhaps I've got this wrong, so maybe I'll stand correcting.

And yes.....no engine maker has control of their product once it's departed their shop, but sometimes......."field" mods actually improve the core product.

Actually have a mail from petro chemist ( major oil co ) he recommends adding oil/ lube to our fuels, he does this to his own jab.

I've never publicly recommended anything, but by it's nature two stroke is a natural additive type of lubricant if you are going to use something for that purpose, designed to be burned in an engine, without harmful effects. Nev

• Agree 1

"Then there's a growing number of folks modding their engines, with proven end results.

Then there's one chap in particular ( lame) that almost has a cult following regarding HIS proven mods to jab engines."

Where is the proof? What are the proven mods to jab engines.

I am always sceptical of claims like this and want to see where the claims can be legitimised.

One mod that was pushed and is still pushed for Jab engines is the Rotec water cooled heads. The only person I know of that tried this has removed the water cooled heads and gone back to aircooled Jab heads.

Took me a lot of ringing around, sort the chaff from the hay, you might end up Cessnock way.

Forgot......ring a chap bundy way also.

Both......a wealth of good info, plus others.

There you go......I've cut down a lot of your workload.

I would need to know the ingredients and the theory of how it worked. I have this same problem with lots of things, for example with coolants for car engines.

But I am open to the possibility that something might really work. Is there a case against upper-cylinder lubricants?

"Then there's a growing number of folks modding their engines, with proven end results.Then there's one chap in particular ( lame) that almost has a cult following regarding HIS proven mods to jab engines."

Where is the proof? What are the proven mods to jab engines.

I am always sceptical of claims like this and want to see where the claims can be legitimised.

One mod that was pushed and is still pushed for Jab engines is the Rotec water cooled heads. The only person I know of that tried this has removed the water cooled heads and gone back to aircooled Jab heads.

did he say what's the problem with the water cooled heads?