Reported to RA-Aus, some people must have nothing better to do!

Aldo

I was out doing some night recency flying a couple of weeks ago (with my Ipad which incidentally had my RA rego displayed).

The following morning I get a phone call from RAAus asking if I was flying at night in Brisbane FIR and active Oakey CTA I said I was and why was that an issue.

Ans. We have an email report including screenshot of OZ Runways showing you (19-4203) flying at night in the Brisbane FIR and Oakey CTA in your Jabiru, I'm sure you are aware that you are not allowed to fly a RA aircraft at night even though it may have the required instrumentation to fly at night.

Response. Really, how would anyone know I was in my Jabiru? In fact I was in a 182 doing some night recency flying and you guys have all my information including my GA licencing.

Ans. Yes we thought that may be the case but because it was reported we need to verify and follow up (no additional documentation required just took what I said to be true).

I guess I should change the Oz Runways information when I fly a different aircraft but there is no requirement to have any rego displayed.

Some people really have too much time on their hands.

Aldo

• Agree 9

Just put your Rego into Oz Runways as your first name. People you know will know who you are, people who don't know you will know that there is an aircraft there which really is all they need to know.

• Agree 1

Aldo - It is Petty Jealousy and those who cant, to whoever put you in and did not contact you first than involve the RAA. They are just jealous of the joys of night flying in clear skies and don't spend the money to get the rating. May I give you the perfect curse to pass on to whoever did it.

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your ass

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I fail to see the issue? They contacted you to clarify and accepted your answer.As responsible aviators we all have a duty to report any incidents we may witness.

Rhys

I don't have an issue with RA-Aus, my surprise was with the person that reported it, who certainly didn't witness anything, I could have a VH rego displayed and be flying my Jab and no-one would be any the wiser. The rego display on Oz Runways has no bearing on anything and that was what the report was based on, now if it was an ADSB readout that is an entirely different scenario altogether.

Oz Runways is a great tool and I think the rego display is a good part of that tool but if this is what is going to happen most people will turn off the traffic display which will render it useless.

There are numerous times when you observe conflicting traffic on Oz Runways call up the rego that is displayed and get a response as to their intentions

Aldo

Well they clearly thought they witnessed it (on their Ozrunways), I guess the lesson learnt here is someone may always been watching and if you are going to give out information make sure it's correct.

I personally don't think anyone has done anything wrong and I'm glad RA-AUS sorted it without too much drama

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Well they clearly thought they witnessed it (on their Ozrunways), I guess the lesson learnt here is someone may always been watching and if you are going to give out information make sure it's correct.I personally don't think anyone has done anything wrong and I'm glad RA-AUS sorted it without too much drama

Well I think it was poor form for someone not to contact Aldo first to ask the question. They made an assumption, jumped to a conclusion and it resulted in an incident that never happened wasting everyones time. There is far too much of this going on these days with people becoming self appointed safety officers or whatever, rather than doing the decent thing and raising the issue with whoever they think may have done something.

• Agree 2

Why? I doubt the members would want it. The display of information on registered aircraft is well in excess of the "privacy", that stops you getting the same access with cars etc. What members want should be of some importance. Clubs I belong to don't publicise my name unless I wish it. Nev

• Agree 5

I'm with nev on this. Nothing will come of it, RAAus was required to chase it up once notified, the person who noted it and reported it made an understandable interpretation of the scenario and was actually doing what they are required to do by law. A single phone call from RRAus fixed it and your iPad ozrunwaysOzR stays as your rego which I freel has benefits.

All sorted.

• Agree 4
  • Winner 2

i'd change the name on your displayed rego to 'airplane repo' 'airfarce one' or something.

who's to know next time it might be some busybody saying youre operating a Jabiru Powered Aircraft over places youre not sposed to be - at least till July anyway

I'd better not dick around with Ozrunways in the car while my partner is driving then.....I might get reported for for flying my Drifter in CTA at night, while following roads at low level.

No one needs people like that.

• Haha 4

I'd better not dick around with Ozrunways in the car while my partner is driving then.....I might get reported for for flying my Drifter in CTA at night, while following roads at low level.No one needs people like that.

And past VNE? 004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

• Haha 1

I'd better not dick around with Ozrunways in the car while my partner is driving then.....I might get reported for for flying my Drifter in CTA at night, while following roads at low level.No one needs people like that.

What , at 3500' ... Bob

Is the implication here that if we see anyone acting dangerously, we should just keep quiet.

My attitude is that if I see anyone acting with stupid regard to safety I will speak up. By that I mean speak to them personally. It usually results in the stupid one admitting his folly and it is all over.

Dobbing in to the authorities would be a last ditch for some really extreme stupidity.

I was dobbed into RAAus for low flying and copped an earbashing for it. Trouble was it was not me, nor my plane, just a Drifter pilot trying to warn swimmers at the beach that there was a shark nearby. Fair dinkum and not a made up excuse as he told me about it before RAAus were on the case. Wouldn't work with CASA and their strict liability.

• Agree 5

I don't think one unsubstantiated allegation should require any action by the RAA, the RAA must have too many staff if they are following up every rumour. If someone is flying an RAA aircraft at night, they would now know the RAA are onto them and turn off their FMS.

Yep I have been known to do that.

What , at 3500' ... Bob

And to add to the confusion Low Level at night in CTA. 015_yelrotflmao.gif.6321765c1c50ed62b69cf7a7fe730c49.gif

Hey guys - Rowan from OzRunways here. I'll try to give some facts to help. Also see blog.ozrunways.com for a more detailed explanation of how the traffic works.

- It doesn't log when you're driving or stationary. We have algorithms that determine when you are airborne and its in everybody's interest to *not* display people on the ground

- Our privacy policy says we will not share your historical information with anybody except search & rescue agencies and accident investigators so we can all learn from accidents and help pinpoint missing persons. We will never give your information to anybody else without a valid court order, which we have never received.

- You can hide your callsign with a setting in OzRunways → Settings → Traffic. You will appear as 'Unknown' to other users.

- If you do choose to display your callsign, which I would recommend, it uses the one set in your aircraft profile (if you are in a plan). Otherwise it uses the one in Settings → Traffic.

I don't actively monitor this forum so if you have any questions please hit us up at help.ozrunways.com

Cheers, Rowan.

• Like 2
  • Helpful 3
  • Informative 9
  • Winner 1

Rowan..........heard recently that a proposal to enable ozrun and avplan to

" speak" to each other , to alert flyers of traffic of both formats, was rejected, why so.....if indeed it's true.

I must admit I fail to see the issue here. Someone believed they observed (albeit through OzRunways) an action which may have been unsafe and reported it. RAAus then followed it up and clarified the issue with a simple phone call. I would prefer to be in the sky with those embracing a safety culture over those that look the other way.

BZ to RAAus for chasing it up.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

Fair comment. If it was VH registered it is easy to check owner & operator. It is about time RAA published Aircraft details as well.

So u want to pay landing fees. I would object give them your rego not mine

• Winner 1

So u want to pay landing fees. I would object give them your rego not mine

Ozbear

Believe me once AvData have your details you will be paying landing fees, if you fly somewhere often enough that has AvData they will eventually get your details. It is as simple as the local council rep asking someone on the airfield, hey who owns the Foxbat over there, from there it's done and dusted and you can never escape.

Apart from that I pay landing fees for my RA registered aircraft (and happy to do so) so why shouldn't everyone else, you are using the infrastructure and it costs money to operate that infrastructure, or are you one of the majority of Australians these days who think everything should be provided free of charge?

Aldo

• Agree 5