Oil filter split

jetjr

ryco Z386 developed 8mm split, around 15 hrs old, most oil lost in flight.Landed safely, replaced and all good but very unimpressed on filter quality

Thats interesting, recently a very similar failure was reported in the UK on a Ryco filter, and I had a problem with a Ryco last year - the thred was of centre and it would not seal.

I switched to Mahle filters and have used them ever since, Mahle look to be better quality and are standard fit on M/Benz, BMW , Porsche, Audi and VW so prety good reputation.

• Informative 2

Hi Jetjr,

You need to alert Ryco's Automotive Technical Support Team and let them examined your filter to determine what caused the failure. It could be a manufacturing batch issue and you may save a catastrophic engine failure for some other chap/s.

Call them on 1800 804 541

Cheers

Vev

I would be getting an oil pressure on the engine quick smart, as seen here, too much pressure can result in bad also.

I built a hemi six once and didn't install it for a year or so, started it up an blew a filter, 2 filters later after loooong warmups, back out and off with the sump to clear the seized (from sitting) by-pass valve dang narn it.

• Like 1

Ryco Z386 has been manufactured in different places over the last 10 years. After the recall (only affecting Aussie product - not the ones sold in NZ by Supercheap according to them) I returned them and started using the Repco version

The main users of these filters OEM was Jabiru and CAE - both of which I believe switched to other brands on the new engines

CAE still call for Ryco and can say after using around 30 x Ive never had any other problem.

They are still very common on some small cars

Engine ran for some time but pressure and temps all good until it started to warm up (like 83 up to 88 deg C), pressure dropped quickly but only to around 35psi and held this until landed and shutdown

I have thermostat on oil so this possibly masked potential oil temp rise for a while

Noticed faint oil smell, easily gone with vent open.

Pressure runs around 65-67 psi - its a solid lifter so no problem and this is below max recommended.

Not sure quite what you mean Bex, Pressure was perfect after repair and refill. I flew home just hour or so later.

Old filter beyond analysis after removing with what tools I had.

Vev, problem is they wont even discuss aircraft use or problems, I will ring them however.

• Like 1

Not sure quite what you mean Bex, Pressure was perfect after repair and refill. I flew home just hour or so later.

Just to make sure you don't have a stuck relief valve. An issue that will split oil filters or break oil pumps.

• Agree 1
  • More 1

OK, yep its all good

CAE actually has extra oil port in gallery itself,

Seeing as normal pressure measured upstream of filter it may not represent what engine getting.

I thought two ports on front of engine were before filter and at end of gallery, it seems not. Can anyone confirm this?

A friend had a Ryco filter fitted to a Jabiru 8 cylinder split around the edge of the filter at the spanner end. Managed to get on the ground without damage but then changed to Champion aircraft filter as used by Lycoming. CH48103 from memory. He had to trim a couple of cylinder fins a small amount to fit it.

I know of two other Rycos splitting on Jabs as well.

• Informative 1

for starters Repco's ROF21 is what I've switched to but SCA now have their own brand now in two types - the high efficiency and regular. The Z386 was for a Datsun 1200 so should be available in some form. my original Rycos were made in South Africa and seemed very good but the later ones are too suspicious. Jabs come with Joywell or something like that now if you look on their pictures

They used to be the "standard" when they were made here. It was my filter of choice for many years. Ryan's of Melbourne made them using the best quality materials.

You don't know where some of this stuff is made these days. Check the fit of the threads on the centre screwed fitting. Often too much thread play which is dangerous. I don't know why the oil pressure needs to be that high. If the galleries are the right size and the bearings fed in the correct places 45 PSI should be ample. If an engine needs high oil pressures there is something wrong with the design. Nev

Hi all

The Ryco Z386 also is used on my Toyota Corolla 2005 model. Never had a problem yet but when I bought oil and a filter for a my Corolla oil change today I was given a Max WZ386NM (MO125) filter which says on its box that it is made by Daikuan Filter Co (wherever that is) and distributed in Aust by Wesfil Australia. Claimed to be interchangeable with a Z 386. Certainly looks the same as the Ryco Z386. I'll give it a whirl on the Corolla as that will stay ground bound.

They still fit current toyotas, Echo??

All auto parts stores have like 10-12x on shelf.

Higher pressure could be related to under piston cooling jets, not sure.

They also have habit of very low pressure at hot idle.

Suggest ryco make repco versions, the higher efficiency Z386 hve finer media and look ok but also have wire mesh support which might make cutting open media difficult. They run the same canister.

Honestly can't trust Jabiru Asian supplier choices.

Interested in champion filter mentioned above

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2237748

Refer to this article, you may find it interesting.

Also.

O.P.

Important Quality Message From Ryco

RYCO OIL FILTERS: Made in Indonesia Z386, Z432, Z442, Z445 and Z547

As a precautionary measure, we request that you identify and cease to fit any Ryco branded oil filters with a part number Z386, Z432, Z442, Z445 or Z547 that were manufactured in Indonesia. The country of origin can be found on the bottom of the inner carton. If you have any of this product please call Ryco Customer Service on 1800 804 541 and we will make arrangements with you to have the defective stock swapped at no cost to you.

Last year GUD Automotive experienced a minor quality issue across a limited batch of 65mm diameter spin on oil filters manufactured in Indonesia. The result of the issue was that some filters could weep oil from around the seam of the filter.

As the market leader in Automotive Filtration Ryco takes its product quality very seriously. GUD is taking every possible measure to ensure that all suspect stock is removed from the market. All stock of these part numbers shipped from GUD Automotive since October 2009 has been 100% certified. This stock has a country of origin of China so please do not return this stock.

GUD have undertaken significant investigations into the cause of this defect and are confident that the issue will not reoccur.

Generally if this defect occurs it represents an inconvenience for vehicle owners and fitters, and based on our analysis it is extremely unlikely that engine damage will occur. Should any vehicle in the field exhibit an oil leak then this should be handled through the Ryco warranty policy.

A full Ryco warranty statement can be found in the Ryco catalogue or on our website www.rycofilters.com.au

We apologise for any inconvenience caused and you can rest assured that Ryco is committed to providing high quality genuine performance filtration solutions.

More info http://www.repcotrade.com.au/go/news/important-quality-message-from-ryco

Yes, this was a different issue, I did get one of these filters and they were quite different. Some were splitting prongs

Equal result though

Who handles Champion aviation parts in Aus? Going to be expensive

If the quality of the "skin" is in doubt what about the innards? Crap filters are not worth having around the place . Period. Search for reliable stuff. Price is not anything let alone everything where a failure of a part is likely. Nev

• Agree 1