Lost Luggage

Took my son to Tulla yesterday, to fly Air NZ to the US via NZ. Got a message to say he had arrived in SFO but his luggage was missing. What a start to a holiday. He went to buy some emergency supplies. Mega everything in the USA - 5 pairs of jocks, 6 pairs of socks. No smaller packs.

As part of my previous working life I used to travel all over the world doing installations of some equipment I made for another company. I would have gone through Heathrow maybe 8 times and I reckon they lost my luggage every time. Infact the more I think about it I am sure it was every time. Heathrow was just a change plane point and this is where it was always lost...always eventually got it back but. Been lost through LAX and also HK...I got used to taking all my essentials in my hand luggage. Yes everything is bigger in America...I found that out..even their food....it was the first time I had seen strawberrys the size of apples and I saw apples the size of rockmelons

As part of my previous working life I used to travel all over the world doing installations of some equipment I made for another company. I would have gone through Heathrow maybe 8 times and I reckon they lost my luggage every time. Infact the more I think about it I am sure it was every time. Heathrow was just a change plane point and this is where it was always lost...always eventually got it back but. Been lost through LAX and also HK...I got used to taking all my essentials in my hand luggage. Yes everything is bigger in America...I found that out..even their food....it was the first time I had seen strawberrys the size of apples and I saw apples the size of rockmelons

Or the "all you can eat" breakfast servings.

One of my last trips was to the USA. I was working in San Fransisco and I had been there a couple of weeks...I was sitting in a cafe eating breakfast of their scrambled eggs and crucified bacon and drinking the usual black coffee as they never had decent milk..only this "creamer" that looked like liquid polystyrene. I finished my breakfast and was drinking the black gunge and I thought to myself its actually not tasting too bad.....I knew it was time to head home to OZ with that thought.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I arrived in Majorca after a very turbulant flight in a Britannia with a case that was split open down one side. When unpacking at the hotel, I realized all my new underwear was missing. Had a good laugh about it at the time, as we were on our honeymoon.

• Haha 1

Mine got lost in LA after an internal US flight with United & I couldn't catch the international connecting flight home. They gave me an overnight pack that consisted of a toothbrush & deodorant & took me to an overnight cheap hotel. Luggage arrived the next day & I got the flight to Auckland that evening. I'd never spent any time in LA before & took a bus tour to all the places like Beverly Hills, Hollywood Boulevard, Venice Beach & the downtown area where all the expensive shops are. I'd never seen plastic trees lining the streets before. After that I have never had any desire to go there again.

I've been to the US a few times recently, and so far have never had luggage lost.

On the other hand, the TSA have opened my luggage every time - maybe they are better at putting it on the correct flight than the regular baggage handlers?

I went to the UK via South Africa with SA Airlines. At Heathrow, no luggage, so i hunted everywhere, then went to the claims counter, filled in all the forms and lo and behold, there was my luggage, first off on the following flight. So much for having to be on the flight with your luggage.

On the WA to SA leg the cabin staff lost a food trolley. We were still nose up in climb configuratiion and they let the trolley go. I managed to grab it after several metres and of rolling and pull it into the side of the seat. I later talked to the purser about it and his comment was that they had to have a percentage of black stewards and that was what they got.

Travelled a number of times for work in the oil industry

Never lost a thing as I only travelled with carry on

Amazing how much you can fit in a small travel on case and back pack

Slightly heavier than allowable mind you

A great many (44) years ago we were on honeymoon and on an East African Airways F27 flight from Nairobi to Malindi in Kenya. In flight the captain came back and asked if anyone had any objections if we went to Mombasa first, no one did and so we landed at Mombasa and you guessed it, because Malindi should have been the first stop that was how the baggage had been loaded, so our bags stayed in Mombasa whilst we flew on to Malindi. Did get it back two days later!

I've a good run with luggage, only gets lost on the way back. Always take a basic bag of "essentials" in case the luggage goes missing. I'm sure the only time they lose it will be the day I don't take the essentials pack.

Lost luggage is a pain.

I travelled to Georgia via Arizona and I managed to just get to the the plane for the second leg. I was sitting there and realized there was no way my luggage would have kept up with my run from one flight to the next.

It arrived at the hotel the next day.

But my carry on bag had all the essentials - toothbrush, iPad etc.missing.gif.af0c8452edd2c89436e570b1f0faea9f.gif

Depends very much on airport - I went through a stage a few years back where every single time I went through Heathrow my luggage ended up delayed, even when colleagues who checked in at the same time had no problem.

At the other end of the scale, I remember a transit at Chicago O'Hare where my incoming flight was late and I had to run for my connection, only just making it as they were closing the gate. I suggested to the gate agents my luggage was unlikely to make it, but they assured me it would - and it did.

Not airlines and not lost luggage but........ enroute to Sun & Fun after visiting rellies in Pennsylvannia in March, wife & self decided to treat ourselves to an o'nite Amtrak train ride to our destination in Florida. Next day, at a scheduled stop in Orlanda with the choo choo running 40 minutes behind time, we were advised by train staff that it was a 20 minute stop and we could get off to stretch our legs. Pleasanr break yes? but whilst standing on the platform discussing car rentals, we look up to see our train moving off after only some 10 minutes - no "All aboard' call or departure announcement on the Tannoy - just the bloody train heading for Miami trying to make up time with all our luggage. Amtrak platform staff arranged via radio to have the carriage steward clear our cabin and put the luggage off at the next stop (our destination) and, without too much arguement, put us in a courier car for the 90 minute road trip to our end point. Closing note - 4 of our 5 bags (and 1 of some other poor sod's) were awaiting our arrival at Kissimee. The final errant item was delivered the next day. So...to avoid the hassles of airline departure procedures and cramped aircraft seating in the USA - go in style by train - but either carry your goodies with you everywhere or - don't get off the train!