multi-engine simulation

Guest carlsnilsson

Guest carlsnilsson

I had had a love affair with the DC-3 for most of my life and have now started flying one with FS 2004. I have bought the 1946 pilots notes on eBay and if another FS enthusiast really wants a copy, plse let me know (only don't expect it back quickly!) I have quickly found that my old CH Virtual Pilot Pro yoke is not quite adequate and one really wants the new multiengine control box CH are now selling. That's a USB device. Has anyone got one? At the moment I'm unsure as to whether you also need the newer CH USB yoke to go with it (guess I can ask). Like rudder pedals, I think you also have to have separate engine controls to get the most out of the sim. Then it becomes a real training aid.

Carl

Carl

I'm not sure what version of the CH Yoke that you may have but I have the current version which has 3 levers on top - defaulted to Throttle, Prop Pitch and Mixture and 2 buttons on the front - flaps & undercarriage, but these can be programmed to anything within flight sim 2004. So if your yoke has the same then with the DC3 you could set two of the levers to throttles, one for each engine, and the third lever for something else etc.

CH, as you are aware have the throttle quadrant with 6 levers and 6 buttons that can be used for more realistic multi-engine control. 2 for throttles, 2 for pitch and 2 for mixture.

As for whether your current Yoke will work with the throttle quadrant I presume that with them both being USB that they would work ok (without getting into USB-1 or USB-2) but just to check you could contact CH's tech support via the form on their website or perhaps "Ultralights" of this forum may know as he uses flight sim extensively

CH website is http://www.chproducts.com/retail_flash/index.html

- Hope this helps!

Guest carlsnilsson

Thanks Ian:

My new USB yoke and pedals arrived a few days ago. For single or multi-engine, I prefer to use the three levers for throttle, pitch and mixture as normal, although I had to reassign the default settings to get that. After looking further, I learned that engine controls can be linked to just one engine by [E,1] or [E,2] etc. in FS2004. (When all else fails, read the instructions!). I have now started using multiplayer mode and trying to fly formation. Needing voice comms, a U.S. forum pointed me to Teamspeak <GOTEAMSPEAK.COM>. Works like a charm and is free for non-commercial use. Also good for free 'phone conversations particularly conference calls if we ever want them.

Carl

- that's great Carl, I know they're not cheap but geez they're great fun arn't they especially with the weather we have been having lately down here in beautiful one day, fantastic the next melbourne?