Ultralight on NSW Vic border today

I just caught the end of my local news today about an accident/incident involving a Jabiru on the NSW/Vic border today, but missed the details.

Anyone heard anything more?

Regards Geoff

Guest Guest

Let me know if you need to know more about this. I have all the relevant details however they are not appropriate to be spread in the public domain.

Nosmo

Guest Fred Bear

No need for PM's gentlemen, it's not a secret now as word travels fast down south.

6 Cylinder Jab - SP? forgive me, I don't know the models. The homebuilt type non-certified stretched fuse with standard wings (not J200).

It was participating in the MegaFauna flying trip which started at Yarrawonga on Sunday.

Had a rather "hard" landing. Tore the engine off the firewall and took most of the firewall and dash with it. Ripped off nosewheel and main undercarriage legs. Squashed lower cowl and under-fuse at front.

Smashed windscreen too. Wings are undamaged and only minor damage to prop.

Pilot fine, passenger has back pain.

Aircraft will be fixed and returned to active service.

A crosswind existed at the time, but it wasn't overally significant although it was a contributing. A witness suggested that the aircraft dropped rapidly most likely as a result of flap reduction, windsheer or pilot error at the point of go-around.

Anything more than this analysis would be considered pure speculation.

Clem

• 4 weeks later...

I dont get this - "are not appropriate to be spread in the public domain" statement; I thought reporting of incidents is all about educating those that need to know..... These forums are not the SMH or Age - they are viewed primarily by pilots - or aspiring...

Incidents are reported in the various Association mags - and they are available to anyone... bushpilot

Being a fairly unknown website (to the general public at least) the idea of keeping info secret is not overly important.

Wanting everyone to know, and learn from other mistakes, is a good idea.

BUT we must not go uploading information that is only assumed, although I guess we can all learn something in the ensuing debates! 068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif :ah_oh:

In time the full story will come out.

Arthur.

Guest Fred Bear
I dont get this - "are not appropriate to be spread in the public domain" statement; I thought reporting of incidents is all about educating those that need to know..... These forums are not the SMH or Age - they are viewed primarily by pilots - or aspiring... Incidents are reported in the various Association mags - and they are available to anyone...

Um, not exactly... when the incident happend only hours before the post and the pilot may still be in hospital, it's not best to speculate on what may have happened. Perhaps a little later on. I realise everyone wants to know what happened ASAP, but sometimes it's not always appropriate to spread the actual reason for the incident. Hopefully more will come to light on this one later.

Hi All

All incidents need to be treated with sensitivity and with respect to those involved and to their family's.We can speculate as much as we like, but you have to be involved to know what really happened. I do agree that we must all learn from any incident so from that perspective it is better to know what happened sooner rather than later so that we can use the knowledge to prevent something happening to us or others. Due tothe apparent seriousness of the incident that has prompted this discussion, it has a high probability of being reported officially to the RA-Aus, ( as all incidents are meant tobe ) so giventime the resultswill be published in our Magazine. Meanwhile it is so very important to be careful what werepeat what is spoken or written in the Media. The persons involved have the inherent problems from the incident without any one adding to their dilema.Well done tothe previous posts that showed the required sensitivity.

Regards

Ed

• 1 month later...
Guest micgrace

Hi

Anyone know if any engineering reports are done on such an incident and if they are how to obtain a copy?

There is something of concern to me in the above photo.

Micgrace :)

Guest Guest

No doubt your concerns Micgrace relate to the structure / build / designof the aircraft and where it's broken away from the windscreen and door structures, etc...?

The problem is that there comes a point where things must break if you throw them at the ground really hard - something must give!

I believe this aircraft hit the ground VERY hard, so something had to break off somewhere.

As for "publishable" reports - I believe it's not been reviewed officially and realistically there isn't really a need for. The aircraft came in slow and stalled a little too high off the ground. That's about it.

I've heard that it's been professionally fixed already.

Guest Guest

I suspect that at the time it happened that nobody actually knew the circumstances of how the accident occurred and anything mentioned would have been speculation.

I have seen many shots of hard impact landings by Jabs, and loosing the whole nose seems fairly typical. :ah_oh:

I've never heard much about leg injuries sustained?

It does seem to be a progressive break up, shearing off the gear first, then breaking off the nose and finally breaking off the rear fuselage allowing the cabin to roll over the wing thereby absorbing the speed and impact!

Not in a hurry to research the repeatability of this though.... :black_eye:

Arthur.