On-Line Flight Sims Part 2

Guest TOSGcentral

Guest TOSGcentral

PART 2

WHY GO ON-LINE?

Although programme AIs are becoming increasingly sophisticated, there is nothing quite like taking on a human opponent(s)! That is the main appeal and is not just confined to one on one encounters. You can gang together with your mates into a group or squadron and take on an opposing group. You can construct battles for territory and in fact there are some major on-line campaigns continually raging that involve hundreds of players around the world, that you can join in with on an opportunity basis.

However, it is nowhere near as simple as just leaping in to on-line play. There are a great many factors involved and perhaps this information thread will enable you to avoid, or minimise, what I had to learn the hard way.

WHAT PROGRAMME TO GET?

You can have any programme that appeals if you just want to use it at home. But if you want the on-line experience then you need a programme that other people are using – you cannot take Microsoft Flight Simulator on line and mix it with a different programme for example. So let us be clear on one point please – to contain the size of this post (that will anyway run to several parts) I will describe what I used and have direct knowledge of. There are other programmes and connections available.

The most supported programmes (eg what you can get good coverage for, lots of assistance and an active community) are the cutting edge simulations. I used Il2 Sturmovik Forgotten Battles. This is currently far and away the best flight simulation available. These days the current version is IL2 Sturmovik 1946. That is now four programmes in one! You get the original FB with all its upgrades, the Ace Expansion Pack, Pacific war and 1946 itself.

This comprises about 230 types of flyable aircraft (300 available total in the programme) and maps spanning from Europe, across Russia, to the Pacific. These are real world maps, not scenery impressions, and you can use them for accurate navigation. It costs about $70 and has the further advantage that it has been about for a bit so will run well on Pentium 3 and Pentium 4 machines.

ON-LINE GAMING – BASICS.

With Forgotten Battles you can LAN it. Eg you set up a network at home between several computers and go your hardest with family and friends.

The next option is that FB has its own server in the programme. You can log in with that to a host (eg Hyperlobby, which is quite free) and your mates can leap onto the internet and join your server. You can restrict access to this or leave it open to any passer by who wants to come in and join you.

The next option is to go to Hyperlobby and join in with an existing open server – and there are usually very many. That has problems that I will explain shortly.

What I would recommend is that you join an existing Flight Sim group and I will also come to them in a moment.

THE HOSTS.

I am exampling with Hyperlobby which is well set up and you can get to easily enough through Google. There are others.

The host provides a number of functions. Primarily it displays active servers for your particular programme that you can join in with. It also provides “meeting rooms†where you and your friends can gather so that you sort activities out and go on line together with latecomers still able to join the server directly when they arrive.

SOME CONNECTION HICCUPS.

The cutting edge servers are almost exclusively orientated to “state of the art†progression and operate the latest version of the programme. So you may have a copy of Forgotten Battles but that does not mean that you will get on a server unless it is exactly the same updated version that the server is running. That can be a pain in the butt because although you have up-graded and can play today, if an up-date becomes available then most servers will also upgrade overnight and you will not get on tomorrow until you have done the required down-load.

Where is the server that you want to join? Australia has few flight sim servers active but Hyperlobby has dozens because Hyperlobby is a world wide host. So there is something called “Ping†which is basically a value of the time delay between your machine and the server. Some servers will not let you on if your ping is too high because it spoils the activities of other participants.

The ping value causes weird visual effects on the screen. What is being portrayed is not happening real time because of the time lag, This is not simply being behind the action – as your machine tries to catch up you get what are termed “UFOs†where you can get strange images and odd accelerations of image.

Some of this may be controlled by the quality of your internet connection. Bottom of the barrel is dial up internet connection. This is what I played on and it worked reasonably well but I could never achieve really well in intensive situations where too much data was being transferred – and then only on an Aussie server.

Your best option is Broadband (or ADSL) and then you should get good results. I am currently on satellite broadband and have not tried that on line. I am a bit sceptical as there is an obvious transmission delay to the satellite – but I cannot really comment at the moment.

The next real big hiccup is TeamSpeak (which is your intercom to talk to other players). You really have to have this as even single player at home you are busy enough with the top line simulators – flying them in combat you just do not have the time (or hands free) to start typing text messages!

Teamspeak is free but requires its own channel/server that you and your mates have to be on so the rest of the world is not listening in. I found this to be one of the largest irritations although it may be better these days.

CONDUCT ON THE SERVERS.

There is a meeting point between those who view the simulations as a very serious interest as well as a form of relaxation – and those who are just “shoot em up gamers†looking for targets.

Most of the serious servers will automatically put you on at least a high realism setting (if not total realistic) which demands a high degree of skill anyway. But there are still the dip sticks who can get it off the ground and cause mayhem.

As such the better servers have strict codes of conduct that you will have to comply with or you will simply be booted off! Take the time to read any server rules that may be displayed.

REQUIREMENTS.

To summarise so far this is the basic requirement for what you need to go on line:

*A copy of your chosen programme at the latest update version available.

*Very good quality and fast computer equipment.

*Fast video card and a lot of RAM,

*Good quality joystick

*Rudder pedals – optional but highly desirable

*Internet access and the faster the better.

*TeamSpeak facility (free)

*A host server facility that services your programme. (free)

Your chosen programme is the cheapest of the requirements in comparison with the rest that is required to make it happen!

MAKING IT EASIER.

The easiest way of getting on line is to join an existing group – preferably one that has either its own forums or suitable means of communication. You can get a huge amount of assistance and advice to make the path forward easier.

There are not all that many Oz flight sim gaming groups but there are some (and I am out of touch at the moment). You will find them of you want them

The one I was in was ANGA WTE 2TG. I will translate that. Australian Net Gaming Association – Wedge Tailed Eagles – 2nd Talon Group.

This is a composite cover group for on line gaming that includes flight sims. 2TG covers that area and is an overall administrator for a couple of Wings and few different squadrons (allied and axis – fighter, bomber or ground attack).

This mob were the best set up of the Aussie outfits. The others tended to be small but keen and I do not know how they have fared since or what other groups have formed.

What these groups will do is guide you through the maze of requirements, making your equipment work, and getting on line with people who will support you.

WARNING – POLITICS.

Yep! Cannot get away from them! ANY organisation has politics and the gaming groups can be quite rabid in themselves. The movers and shakers of any group are usually highly motivated people. But what is the motivation?

Most readers of this will be pilots who, if they go the Flight Sim way, may be more interested in the depiction, history, the flying – whatever. The controller may be similarly motivated but that is not always the case, or all of the case.

Just as in our own Rec Flying movement, people get into controlling positions for other reasons than what is happening. Your real life experience may be welcome (just your presence will be) but you may find that there is a distinct difference between what people espouse that they want to what they actually want!

Despite the sophistication of the flight sims they are still a relaxation medium – a game if you like. While people who do not fly and will never fly state that they want realisim, that they want depictions of squadrons and structure – they actually just want to jerk themselves off while there are people around who know no better!

When reality arrives it can be eagerly accepted until it is seen as threatening to the power base that exists. My undoing was that I recognised how many people did genuinely want to learn to fly properly but knew that they never would be able.

I used my instructional and management skills to give those guy something that most eagerly grasped. The pendulum swung abruptly as I became more popular. Suddenly it was “just a game†do not need that realism crap etc etc. and the knives came out!

Go to those places to primarily enjoy yourselves and use the facilities. Make your own contribution if you wish, but unless you want to make a bid for power yourself – just keep it low key. I wanted no power, was given heaps, and then the situation became intolerable and I left. I wonder how many people have been forced out of that form of gaming (or our own real life interests) by similar attitudes?

Just go enjoy!

Aye

Tony.