Fatal Accident Laidley Qld

I have since that day been 100% cautious whenever I hand prop any aircraft.

You & me both Oh Learned One Kasper! You young sky troopers out there, learn from us & don't be stupid. Think! Before you act! You may not be as lucky as us!

Yep - saw that one coming. And i've see similar go very wrong:

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was at Mangalore easter flyin around that time and saw one aerobated - can’t say for certain it was that particular aircraft but I remember being alarmed at how much the tail boom flexed under ‘G’ loading during loops and rolls. I didn’t see the runaway incident but was told about it. Pretty hairy stuff but. The other thing that I remember was having a look over the Legetti Stratos that was on display. The cockpit was tiny - very slim and very little leg room, the pilot flew in a reclining position - looked uncomfortable to me but may have been ok. I reckon the pilot wouldn’t want to be much over 70 kgs.

It was a really interesting time for the ultralight movement (in it’s infancy).

I knew Ray, he was a careful pilot who too no risks. I;m not sure how long he held his GA licence for but many many years. He had flown ultralights for 20 years I know of. and flew most weeks, current and careful.good bye old mate.

I've just realised who this is. Really sad to hear it, all round good bloke - and one of the 5 UFOs I posted about a couple of years ago (United Flying Octagenarians).Fair winds Ray, and sincerest condolences to family and loved ones.

I went to the previous Mangalore show, and it was fantastic, with a mass takeoff and flypast; looked like a scene from Mad Max with all the different shapes an engine configurations. Not sure what ended it because there were plenty of paying spectators.

I was at Mangalore easter flyin around that time and saw one aerobated - can’t say for certain it was that particular aircraft but I remember being alarmed at how much the tail boom flexed under ‘G’ loading during loops and rolls. I didn’t see the runaway incident but was told about it. Pretty hairy stuff but. The other thing that I remember was having a look over the Legetti Stratos that was on display. The cockpit was tiny - very slim and very little leg room, the pilot flew in a reclining position - looked uncomfortable to me but may have been ok. I reckon the pilot wouldn’t want to be much over 70 kgs.It was a really interesting time for the ultralight movement (in it’s infancy).

I know this is drift but ...Stratos and vampire were at the 1986 mangalore ... and yes even as a teenager I didnt fit in the stratos

The ultrabat accident was in 1998

Probably a bit of memory merge on dates

I know this is drift but ...Stratos and vampire were at the 1986 mangalore ... and yes even as a teenager I didnt fit in the stratosThe ultrabat accident was in 1998

Probably a bit of memory merge on dates

Disregarding the Ultrabat thing ... and I'm not sure when the Vampire featured but I can certainly attest that the LGT Stratos was at Mangalore in 1984 and 85. It went to Oshkosh and received an 'extraordinary' award from NASA in 1986, and was the 'feature' aircraft at Mangalore in 1987.I'm looking at the pics and manufacturer's specs taken at Mangalore published in Berger-Burr's 85/86 edition, of Ultralight & Microlight Aircraft of the World, and also the patch and memento glass from the dinner, 87, which feature the Stratos.

I've still got most of those patches and glasses, Fokker Universal 86, DH Comet 85, Victa Airtourer 84 and a number of others.

Kasper....sorry to drag this out but I miss-read your post. I thought it was you that hand propped the ultrabat. That made the news in the U.S. Wild. Thanks for the link. If that had happened in the U.S. litigation attorneys would've been foaming at the mouth to get a piece of the pie!

Yep - saw that one coming. And i've see similar go very wrong:

Kasper....sorry to drag this out but I miss-read your post. I thought it was you that hand propped the ultrabat. That made the news in the U.S. Wild. Thanks for the link. If that had happened in the U.S. litigation attorneys would've been foaming at the mouth to get a piece of the pie!

No. It was George Markey. The accident was a long set of errors with many steps but that rotax 583 engine had awesome power and it was started at wide open throttle and/or went to wide open instantly on startup. With the results you saw.And that is not a mistype it was not a 582 but a 583 with highly tunes exhaust and fuel setup.

Kasper - your probably right about “memory merge”. To cIarify, I attended the Mangalore flyin a number of times over a period of time, the things I recalled in post 53 were not necessarily at only one flyin, I did say I was told about the runaway incident I didn’t witness it. Sorry for not writing a clearer explanation in post 53. Cheers.