Short Finals in Oberon, Central West NSW

Bubbleboy

Hi all.........saw the advert in RAA Magazine and thought I would have a look.

I am 34 Years old. Started flying at Bankstown Airport in 1997 attaining my PPL. Have since passed CPL, Instrument and ATPL :confused: theory. Life has taken over and with a young family cannot afford to fly at the moment. 051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif .My dream is to own some acres and build my own plane one day. Looking at the Corby Starlet or Pietenpol Aircamper (not sure how it will handle the high altitude here?). Would love to have a look at some Corby plans! Who sells these in OZ? Also very interested in Trikes!

I currently build and fly scale radio control planes up to 1/4 scale. Pop into our club forum for some pics if you are interested http://nswsas.forumcircle.com/

If anyone is in the Oberon area I would love to hear from you. Bubbleboy

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I too flew RC models until aged 31 and have been flying Utralights since1993..yes that makes me 43..!

I flew trikes for many years and have now moved over to a 3 axis taildragger. I'm loving this real flying.Sometimes I think it's cheaper than models...!

You mention a Corby or Pietenpol...both very different aircraft....if you like building in wood , have you considered a Jodel D18 ( 2 seat, 90 knot cruise, plans available locally for around $200.)

regards Arthur Withy

Hi Arthur.....Thanks for the reply. I thought of the Aircamper due to it being a 2 seater. Not sure if the wife would fly with me anyway. Corby looks like a nice little unit. Someone mentioned they are designing a 2 seat version. Not sure if it is true or not?I have looked at the Jodel and havent discounted it but like the look of the Corby. I still wouldnt mind looking at a set of plans to compare the building process.

I am currently working on a 1/4 scale Polikarpov PO2 Biplane for radio control. I agree, I sometimes think a full size would be cheaper!

regards Scott

Hi Scott,

There is not 2 seat corby available.....probably never will be?

Over the years I considered both aircraft. Both quite different constructions and uses.

Try http://www.cpc-world.com./for the construction of Pietenpol

and http://members.shaw.ca/kingdws/frameset.htmlfor Corby Starlets.

Have a look at www.jodel.com for another point of view

Have fun

regards Arthur Withy

Thankyou for the pic Arthur. How long has it taken you to get to that stage and what are you powering it with? Did you get the plans from the chap in Australia who redrew them?

Hi Scott,

Yes,

I purchased the plans from Frank Rogers in Sydney...They are redrawn and translated from french.

It is well known internationally that these are the best available Jodel plans. The D18 plans are about $250. (about 30 pages-poster size with written instruction book).Frank also sells most of the Jodel aircraft. D9, D11, D150 etc.I have been told the french plans are nothigh quality an unless you read french.........however the 'drafting' is similar.The plans are in metric using AN hardware.

I have probably done about 500 building hours on my Jodel. Which includes the following(not in photo):

The ailerons & flaps are complete. I have made the 2 fuel tanks ( total100 litre capacity) and fitted to fuselage.

Rudder pedals are complete and fitted to fuselage.

Control sticks (2) are completed.

Flap levermechanism is completed

Anti servo tab for stabiliser is fitted and almost complete.

The plans state it is a 1500 hour build....will wait and see...???

I have purchased the canopy from New Zealand via a fellow jodel builder.(sliding bubble)

The wing spar was easy to build and was signed off by a LAME before closing in.

The hardest thing to build so far were the 2 wing flaps...! and not even a complicated structure.

I hope to power my Jodel with a 2200 Jabiru engine or a Rotax 912.

(The airframe is designed for a 60 HPVW)

I have done 10 hours in a D18 with a 912 at 85 knots we were using 12 to 13litres an hour. Flown at 75 knots...11 litres an hour.

At 95 knots 15 litres an hour.

Climb at MTOW is nearly 1000 foot /min. Stall is about 36 knots.Aircraft empty weight is 258kg. Prop is a composite 70inch 3 blade powerfin. Take off with 12 degrees of flapis about 80 to 100 meter ground roll in still air..! (2 up).This Jodel flew from near Albany WA to Lethbridge in Victoria and return without a problem, except weather.

hope this answers your questions.

Your 1/4 scale biplane would make a great ultralight....! a 2 seater as well.

regards Arthur.

Sounds great Arthur...I am very envious! keen.gif.9802fd8e381488e125cd8e26767cabb8.gif

What wood did you use and who is the best source in Australia? What adhesive have you been using?

I know what you mean about my Model Biplane. I am building bigger each time till I can sit in it! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Scott

G'day Scott and welocme to the forums. i found the site the same way you did a few days ago.

I built and fly a Corby Starlet which is great fun, but not for large people. I am 1750 high and weigh 70kg and fit it well, the cockpit width is a bit tight and it is a struggle doing up the seat belt. Once installed the fun begins and with a Jab 2.2l engine performance is good. I opened it up on Sunday chasing a grumman and had over 120kts and still not fulll power. There are about 18 A1 plans in the set, I could possibly photograph some and email to you for a look.

Ian

Hi Ian.....Sounds like you had a multitude of fun! Maybe I am too big for it. I am 6'1" and around 84kg. Could need a shoe horn to get in it. Maybe take the second seat out and make it a single seater! Just joking! So where abouts is Rodds Bay? I like the look of the Corby and Aircamper but I would say the altitude I am here, 3500 ASL,may be a concern on a hot day in summer for the Aircamper. Arthur has been telling me about his Jodel 18 build and it looks like it could be an option. Should do some investigation on the cockpit width on that to compare to the Corby.

Regards Scott Bubbleboy

Hi Scott,

I am using a spruce substitue, Douglas Fir or more commonly known as Oregon. I purchased mine from a local timber yard($400). It was classed as furniture grade (clear grain, no knots). It has to be seasoned timber for aircraft use (in brief), mine is kiln dried...which is very important. You can get some from Marine timbers in Victoria. They also sell the GL-1 aircraft ply (birch) which is expensive but recommended ($4000 ). Alot of guys use hoop pine timber and ply.I believe the plans also ask for gaboon ply which is very light but not as strong as birch. You can try your local boat builders?

I am using T88 structural adhesive which is an American aircraft glue. It is a 50/50 epoxy. It is not classed as a 'certified' glue in Australia however you can use a variety of glues for aircraft building. I am using it because it is foolproof and has an excellent record.

The Jodel cockpit is 1000mm wide or a revised version the D185 is 1070 mm wide. At 6'1 you would probably have to relocatethe seat bulkhead...but not a real problem.

If your really keen on investigating the Jodel , join the Jodel yahoo group which will give you an international resource to draw upon rather than my views. Try http://groups.yahoo.com/group/jodel/

There are lots of D18 's flying world wide( over 500 )

The Corby Starlet is also an excellent aircraft.( Ian yours must go wellwith the 2200 jab motor) I think given the right choice of motor all three aircraft on your list will do the task at 3500feet. The Pietenpol probablywith the least performance envelope.

regards Arthur

Hi All

As a teenager a few years ago (don't ask how many) I was given a book called "The Role of Science and Industry in the Second World War" published or sponsored and sold by the Australian War Memorial probably about ten years after the end of WWII. There was a series of books from them in a similar vein. One point mentioned was that the Australian invented and war time established coastal radar stations were not manned on weekends. No doubt that policy was probably changed after a few raids on Darwin.

Amongst the topcs covered in that particular volume was the fact that Australian timbers were tested and certified for use as construction material for wooden defence force aeroplane construction. I am surethey were were matched against their overseas equivalents.

My guess is that the timber research work was probably done by the CSR the precursor of the Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation.

I no longer have a copy of that volume much to my regret. Being the eldest child in the family, I left home first and my books disappeared as the family later moved homes.

Regards

Guest micgrace

Hi

Just go to the scratchbuilders part of the RAAus site. Some excellent material on wood there. inc. the ratings for some Oz wood types.

Micgrace :)

G'day Scott.

At over 6' youwould have a tight squeeze getting into the Corby, although the bulkhead behind the seat is approved to be moved back 2".

Rodds Bay is 15nm SE of Gladstone 151deg 24' East 24deg04'S.

700m grass strip with an uphill slope on 13 plus a house which upsets some pilots on the right hand side of 13 just after you land. It amazes me how much he house affects some people as I never even notice it.

Ian

Thanks for all the advice guys. I have contacted Frank who sells the Jodel Plans and hehas put me onto a few sites. I am going to follow this forum often so might call on you guys for some help ;)

Scott

• 2 months later...

Hi Scott,

Just stumbled on your post.. I'm 15 minutes on the Bathurst side of Oberon - at the foot of'The Mount'. Have a strip down here and buildinga hanger... and anew trike - Airborne Redback- currently hangered at Mudgee, until I complete my conversion from GA PPL and Nano-lights to RAA UL.

Let me know if you spot this post and we can arrange to meet..

Cheers

Chris

Hi Chris...Great to hear from you. I thought I was the only person interested in Trikes around this neck of the woods! I am in Oberon. Are you talking Mount Panarama or the Mount between O'Connell and Oberon? It would be great to catch up and I would love to check your Trike out. My email is : [email protected]

Regards Scott