Just purchased Avid stol, looking for floats and other Avid owners for info!

Hi all, i have recently purchased an avid c stol with 582 i am considering installing a 912 or 912 uls has anyone done it to thier Avid and was it very difficult? Also looking for floats to soluit Avid if anyone knows of any lying about. Thanks Darren

• 5 months later...

Hi Darren . I have an Avid mk4 with a Subaru motor in it, which is great but I need the stretched fuselage to balance it. I have added a ventral fin to stop it wagging its tail, which with lighter engines it does not do . If you didn’t know these aircraft were really only designed for a light weight engine like the 582 and when kept light have an amazing stol performance. I have owned mine now for 15 years and love it, BUT if I were to repeat it again and after seeing what the 2200 Jabiru engine does in this airframe I would install the jab engine. As a tail dragger it is a real handful as mine is set up ,I have ground looped mine only once(and believe me that was enough) with lighter engines it would be better, good luck and keep in contact

Hi all, i have recently purchased an avid c stol with 582 i am considering installing a 912 or 912 uls has anyone done it to thier Avid and was it very difficult? Also looking for floats to soluit Avid if anyone knows of any lying about. Thanks Darren

I recall seeing some very recently for sale at either $11 or 15k.  I can't look for you at present but do some goole searching for floats for sale.  Cheers and enjoy the floats when you do them. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hello from the land of the Bald Eagle.   Can't speak to the Rotax, but FWIW I've been flying a 17 yr  old C model with a 2200 Jab for a year now, up here in the Pacific NW of Washington and Oregon.  The plane was originally VW powered, so of course motor mount and wiring harness needed replacing. Battery had to be relocated to correct CG change, and oil cooler as well.  I would guess you would have similar  issues going to Rotax. 

I can confirm the Jab is a great match for this airframe, climbs and cools well for 3.5 gals/hr at cruise.

In our EAA group's experience it has been very reliable engine, with hundreds of hours on five 2200's in STOL and two Sonex's.

Not to sound like a salesman, hell, I'm not even Australian! But I like your little engine...Good on y'all!

• Like 2