Autistic/Aspergers Pilots

So it turns out im Autistic. I went solo back in 2012 but it took a lot of training to get that far. I ran outta money to finish my certificate but I'm in a better financial position and want to get back into it. I've since been diagnosed and I know why I had trouble with some parts of learning to fly.

Is there any other Aspie pilots out there?

Do you have any tips on how to overcome the problems that come with Autism? The two main problems were saying out loud what I was doing to the instructor and the spacial recognition in relation to when to flare.

• Like 2

Good to hear from you, Ken. I bet there are heaps of us out there; many on the Aspi spectrum will have long since learned to disguise their condition. During a long career in education I learned lots about Aspergers and autism, and was able to recognise in myself quite a few Aspi characteristics. It sure explains a lot about my lifetime of struggling to understand people and my near obsession with safety and being prepared.

While we have problems with subtle social cues, many of us are blessed with broad general knowledge and interests. (I've been star member of a number of Trivia teams!)

By it's very nature, pilot training requires clear verbal communications. I'd suggest that some Aspi people may have an unfair advantage over many more "normal" people. You are likely to have a considerly more efficient recall system than most. Repeating instructions out loud can be a good thing. I used to bugger up my flare height, but after lots of training it's not an issue.

• Like 1

Autism is a spectrum, from hardly noticeable to quite debilitating and often combined with other "disorders". I married into a family with autism in various quantities. To understand this I did a free Uni course through Future Learn "Understanding Autism" It is worth doing, free, fully on-line with plenty of discussion. I can now recognise it in a few pilot friends too. It shouldn't be much of a barrier to flying, provided you understand your limitations.

A lack of empathy and inability to pick up on social cues, means that Instructing probably isn't for those that have that part of the spectrum. Hyperfocusing - concentrating on something to the exclusion of all else, to the point that the phone can ring, meal times fly by, and you don't notice - would preclude flying that requires the ability to change focus quickly. Be aware of "different thinking" that may seem incongruous to 'normal' people - for example - he was worried the house could burn down, so he removed the smoke alarms = problem solved (in his mind). It may not be a problem, but might leave some people a bit perplexed. For some, particular noises or stresses set them off, there isn't one catalyst or one solution. For some it is an advantage, seeming to concentrate on flying and not getting the mind cluttered with all sorts of other things, like current affairs, pension rules, documentaries etc.....

You've managed to go solo, so I don't think you will have a problem. The Autistic pilots I know have more trouble understanding how their actions affect others, or can't understand why everyone else doesn't do it how they do it. I think you'll do OK.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1

So it turns out im Autistic. I went solo back in 2012 but it took a lot of training to get that far. I ran outta money to finish my certificate but I'm in a better financial position and want to get back into it. I've since been diagnosed and I know why I had trouble with some parts of learning to fly.Is there any other Aspie pilots out there?

Do you have any tips on how to overcome the problems that come with Autism? The two main problems were saying out loud what I was doing to the instructor and the spacial recognition in relation to when to flare.

Um, don't tell CASA? Seriously though, I have heard that CASA have had some worries about Aspy pilots just because they were Aspies.

Autism/Aspergers is a very broad church (please excuse the metaphor/idiom). You could have any number of problems or none. If you are having any problems in any area of your life, you might want to get assessed by a psychologist with a special interest in that area or join a social group for Aspies. In Brisbane, that would be Minds and Hearts (too expensive, really) or Aspergers Services Australia (? exact name) in Virginia.

Someone else mentioned hyperfocus. I suppose that *could* be a problem. Hyperfocus so things just fly by is more a feature of ADHD, of all things. The Aspy hyperfocus, at least in adults, is more of an interest in a whole subject or activity. Such an interest could include ALL of flying.

I would not worry about the social issues of Aspergers and flying. The "social" rules of talking to other pilots and ATC are explicit, codified, simple and only have a few different structures. That's Aspy communication heaven. Also, in aviation, people probably will not complain too much if you are a stickler for the rules. Also, Aspy heaven.

As far as I know spatial problems are not a problem that is related to Aspergers. If you want logic, learn the Jacobson flair (disclaimer: I have about 25 hrs flying time).

Spock on.

• Like 2

So it turns out im Autistic. I went solo back in 2012 but it took a lot of training to get that far. I ran outta money to finish my certificate but I'm in a better financial position and want to get back into it. I've since been diagnosed and I know why I had trouble with some parts of learning to fly.Is there any other Aspie pilots out there?

no tips, but I'm glad as an aspi now I realise my issues with flare timing could be a common thing.

• Like 2

I think that these days the asperge word has been dropped in favour of a description of where you are on the autistic spectrum. Autism is a condition where there are fewer than normal pathways between brain areas. Information highways so to speak. With fewer pathways situations can often be harder to cope with. The statement that we have less empathy is so VERY WRONG. We have huge empathy!!! We just don't understand when people are being hurt. With less brain connections a people understanding is often difficult as it requires so many parts of the brain, concentration on a single item not using many pathways is what we excel at! Having held a ppl for nearly 40 years the only problem I have is with instructors that tell me that this is not good and that is not good. If they just wait the stress comes off me and I can fly very well, in other words let the pathways be clear for flying. I acted differently but actually the best way when I had an engine cut out on me. I actually feel an aircraft.

Remembering the correct call words can be a problem.

I have done aerobic exercises three times a week for over 20 years has developed new pathways in my mind (and an extra artery to my heart) so it can be fixed. My ability to catch a ball using these new pathways has confused some psychs trying to diagnose my condition. Spacial orientation is not related to the condition. I have exceptional spacial orientation.

I am retired now but my ability to concentrate on a single subject, pathways fully utilised so distractions don't work, has given me the ability to solve many complex engineering problems and earn very large fees. And significant self satisfaction over my years of work.

Things are not so bad, particularly if you have loved ones that understand that you really don't understand people, too many pathways in the brain are required!

• Like 1
  • Winner 1

I think that these days the asperge word has been dropped in favour of a description of where you are on the autistic spectrum. Autism is a condition where there are fewer than normal pathways between brain areas. Information highways so to speak. With fewer pathways situations can often be harder to cope with. The statement that we have less empathy is so VERY WRONG. We have huge empathy!!! We just don't understand when people are being hurt. With less brain connections a people understanding is often difficult as it requires so many parts of the brain, concentration on a single item not using many pathways is what we excel at! Having held a ppl for nearly 40 years the only problem I have is with instructors that tell me that this is not good and that is not good. If they just wait the stress comes off me and I can fly very well, in other words let the pathways be clear for flying. I acted differently but actually the best way when I had an engine cut out on me. I actually feel an aircraft.Remembering the correct call words can be a problem.

I have done aerobic exercises three times a week for over 20 years has developed new pathways in my mind (and an extra artery to my heart) so it can be fixed. My ability to catch a ball using these new pathways has confused some psychs trying to diagnose my condition. Spacial orientation is not related to the condition. I have exceptional spacial orientation.

I am retired now but my ability to concentrate on a single subject, pathways fully utilised so distractions don't work, has given me the ability to solve many complex engineering problems and earn very large fees. And significant self satisfaction over my years of work.

Things are not so bad, particularly if you have loved ones that understand that you really don't understand people, too many pathways in the brain are required!

Hi. Would you say you concentrate well on *all* of the flying when you fly? In other words, are you good at remembering to remember? Is there a tendency to focus on one thing to the exclusion of others? Thanks for posting.

I don't find that I have that much to concentrate on, I think that most aircraft flying comes from one area of the brain. Not much interested area communication required. However when renewing my night licence I had an instructor that was really all over me. My flying was terrible. Then he wanted to photograph a terrestrial event so he got his camera out and was taking pictures. While he was of my bachi just simply got the aircraft just right. He looked back at the panel and said it was perfect. I told him if he left me alone I was ok.

I flew one of the latest Mooney's. It really was different to my Mooney. The check pilot from Mooney was telling me what to do each second. Too much to deal with a human (hard) and an aircraft (easy), he was asked to land it. I usually do very good on simulator failures. Did well on engine failures.

• Informative 1

Background noise can be a big problem for Aspergers people.

One of the biggest problems I found was the noise of flying elderly GA flying school aircraft without a headset because the flying school did not want to pay for the intercoms. Fortunately/unfortunately, just as I was finishing my CPL, the flying school was given the quiet word from the powers that be to spend some money and put intercoms in all their aircraft. These days it would be rare to have an aircraft without one.

On a 3-4 hour Nav, I found I put in a far better performance with my own headset, rather than a loaner or none at all.

Make sure you have a good seal over the ears and you will be at peace with the world and be able to think clearly and concentrate on a quality flying performance. If you have foam ear seals, replace them with gel ear seals - Aircraft Radio at Archerfield has them for $29.(There is a trick to fitting them - turn them inside out first!)

I agree with all of the above. Flaring takes practice, sometimes more than others. A slight lack of co-ordination compared with neuro-typicals may be the cause. You will get there. It will just cost you a few more flying lessons. Learning to ride a bike, then learning to drive a car took me more lessons and practice than other kids my age, so it was no surprise when flying took me a bit longer as well.

Practice, Practice, Practice. On a quiet afternoon, just sit in the plane and mime your flight. It worked when I was learning to change gears in the car; It worked with the flying.

• Like 3

I met a family at the airfield in the 1990's with an autistic son who was keen on aircraft. They were on holiday. I offered to take the lad up for his first flight. I only had to show him once and he had it. He had a ball. On the ground he was beaming. I talked to the parents about his ability, but unfortunately, the industry being what is was back then, his route to flying employment would necessitate going into instructing, endless door knocking, charter or station work etc - needing lots of people skills which he didn't have. It was hard to remember to include him in the conversation as he was the first 'full-on' autistic person I had met. No eye contact, didn't speak, random hand movements, seemingly uninterested, but I knew he was chuffed and probably glowed for days after. He may not have grasped what I was saying to his parents; he has the skill, but save your money, he won't get a job at the end of it. If only he had turned up this decade where we are more understanding and there's a pilot "shortage".

• Like 2

As I reported earlier I earned a very large amount of money, I spent over $120k on my Mooney upgrading and renewing. My lower end spectrum situation ( please use this rather than Asperger's) has given me different skills. My friends know that am different. Others will often try to use me taking advantage of my lack of people skills, I just stay away from them when I find out what they are doing. I had difficulty learning at University. But because of the way that I have to learn I still can do all the mathematics for aircraft design, not usual for people that Excell at study. I love engineering and anything I do alone. We have so much empathy, we just don't understand people and often hurt them. Don't treat us differently, just forgive us if we say the wrong or unusual thing we often are trying to be kind when we do it.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

And by the way the most spectacular person that was on the spectrum was Albert Einstein. He was asked to be the first president of Israel he declined he knew that his people skills were poor.