Ag Flying

rgmwa

You spend a lot of time being only one slight error of judgement from oblivion. Usually happens on the last (intended) run of the day. You wouldn't need to be distracted by much. Nev

Roundup is the most mundane thing you would have to deal with, less toxic than table salt actually. The Endosulphan and Sprayseed would towel you up a hell of a lot more, but as Nev pointed out, the ground is a bigger hazard to your health. I will do my Ag piloting from 500ft I think, at least until I get my hours up a bit. I already have my spreader, I am not interested in spraying, after a short career as a chemical lab technician, I don't have a choice but avoid chemicals now. 2,4-D is what brought me undone but stock parasite chemicals get me now too.

Insecticides are the worst. Insects will survive what we don't. The nervous system is what they target. Surely you wouldn't spray sprayseed.. That stuff is really bad. Glyphosate drift will ruin Stone fruit kilometres away. Nev

Glyphosate drift is common because it is most commonly used, regularly by people who dont care or are unaware about conditions and ramifications

Real nasties have by in large gone now, Endosulfan has been finished for ages especially by air - not than harmful but used to hang around in animal and peoples bodies for a while and easily detected

Plant hormones like 24d ester and other highly volatiles are the biggest problems for drift. Endo ULV was pretty good too!

Ive known plenty of ag pilots, some are still doing it but only the very conservative ones live to talk about it long term. Few families left behind too from simple accidents.

There seems to be a feeling on here that ag pilots go to work every morning saying goodbye to their family as if it could be the last time and if there lucky enough to survive that day the chemical will get them eventually.

I have been around ag pilots for the last 20 odd years and seen plenty come and go. The good old days using pawnies 500 litres or braves and the like carrying 900 litres max there where lots of planes and therefore lots of pilots. Now you're looking at 1400hp airtractors that carry 3000 litres so therefore a lot less planes and pilots, If you're not up to it or a cowboy you wont be employed. I have seen plenty that after spending all that money on training end up in that position.

It's not luck that keeps them alive flying so close to the ground it's training and skill and a bloody good solid aeroplane.

Sure there are a few accidents but that is the same as every job flying or not.

As others have stated all of the bad chemicals cant be put out by air now and the majority of spraying done is fertiliser or fungicide and the insecticides no more potent than what you spray in your kitchen for flys.

Back before the days of GPS you used to stand in the paddock and mark where the spray plane needed to go.

There is nothing in the world like watching a plane barrel towards you at 100kts and 5ft AGL seeing first hand the skill of side slipping around a tree and tucking the wing under the branches. Worth every bit of the chemical spray I inhaled.

Mmmm...2-4D Ester