178 seconds to live

Guest colt_pa22

Guest colt_pa22

Has anyone read the article 178 to live in the latest flight safety? I?ve never experienced this sensation which leads to the graveyard spiral but then again I?ve only entered cloud once and luckily was able to get out. Have any of the flying members experience this sensation or ever been trapped by the weather?

colt

Guest Alex Short

I thought that DVD was pretty good... weather-related decision making is absolutely one of the most critical things for VFR pilots, it's good to see some sort of education on the subject from the regulator.

Guest Ultralights

i got my crash comic, but no attached DVD! 2 techniques i have been taught when inadvertently in cloud, is don't touch the controls, as you will usually be trimmed in the straight and level, and if you feel your loosing it, stare at the AH! and fly the artificial horizon....

i have never had to use these tricks though... and hope to keep it that way,

• 1 month later...
Guest The Hammer
Have any of the flying members experience this sensation or ever been trapped by the weather?

Yes, on a charter flight into Cootamundra, at night, many years ago. The wake-up trigger was the loud engine noise as the speed increased.Coota took its fair share of pilots over the years.

• 1 month later...
Guest colt_pa22
stare at the AH! and fly the artificial horizon....

I look at the AH, VSI, ALT, pretty much keep scanning the instruments, I've only been in cloud once. Flying with instruments only does not bother me, but this is probably due to years of Flight sim and time with the hood. On my first few flights my instructor had to cover the panel because I wouldn't stop looking at it, this was due to Flight sim.

I think it comes down to training; a good instrument scan for VFR pilots is a must through PPL training.

colt