1st flying lesson completed

Guest gasket

hey there guys, well i joined up a few weeks ago and in the intro section left a post saying i was about to start doing helicopter lessons. Well, i had my 1st one a week ago and it was bloody great im going up this saturday for my next ( wish i could afford more than 1 a week) The guys where great to talk with im doing it with the helicopter group and the flight to melb and back was fun i managed to hold level flight the whole way apart from my first turn where i gained about 100 feet. whne we got back to the airport i had a quick crack at hovering oh my god now theres an eye opener we where all over the place haha well ill tell yas all about my next lesson after sat cheers and have fun ppl :lol:

Guest David747

Hello Gasket.

Well done on your first helicopter training flight! :D That must've been very fun and memorable! What sort of helicopter and rego did you fly in?

David...

hey thanx guys yeah i hope i get my licence to, but man thas 45k down the road yet haha and dave i cant remember type of helicopter but it was the equivalent of a robinson 22 cant remember the type bit its just a lil 2 seater petrol engine bubble window job small and funny. and i dont know what you mean by rego sorry. but my next lesson is 2pm tomorrow sat. so ill pay more attention . now if any1 had any ideas on where i can find some spare cash lol well catch yas

Rego is written on the side of all aircraft and start with VH-*** Take a look tomorrow and take note of it, then you can go to the VH Register and look it up. It will tell you the aircraft type and who it is registered to. Uou can find the link to the register to the left under "Other Links"

Guest David747

Hello Gasket.

Best of luck tomorrow! I hope you have fun. By your aircraft description, I'm assuming it was a Bell 47G. Bell 47Gs are very commonly used in Australia for pilot training.

Enjoy!

David...

hi all update time lol. well its a shwiezer or hughes 300 depends on what you feel like calling it apparently and from memory i think the rego was vh xyt my lesson was just on basic controls and apparently i did really well. had my fast shot at the landing approachwhich wasnt to bad and did only about another 1-2 mins trying to hover which i almost held. Next lesson is this sunday and ill be doing altitude changes holding the same airspeed. im going to ask if i can try for at least 10 mins of hovering prac at the end. well until next time ta ta

hey glenn actually shwiezer and hughes are the same helicopter. schwiezer bought hughes out apparently about 20 years ago from im lead to believe. Im learning in a schweizer 300c which is the same size as a robinson r22. And yep i know i got the rego wrong ill check it again this sunday lol. im thinking of going down there on sat and asking them a few q's i have from reading the theory of helicopter flight my god all these formulas and stuff mess ya brain a bit. ive been meeting quite a few people lateoy that are into recreational flying like have ultrlights etc its amazing how many are out there. so do you guys want me start a diff thread after each lesson or just keep posting in this one. hope ya all havin fun cheers

Ok, didn't know that schweizer bought out Hughes.

If you get the chance to go to Narromine next Easter, I suggest you go. There's always hundreds of different types of ultralights there for the annual Natlfy.

Yes, please keep posting your progress here 8)

dont know what im doing next easter but yeah im thinking of going to airshows now lol. anyway i had my next lesson yesterday, what a story. ive now switched companies im flying with phs now. i recieved a phone call literally as i was walking out the door to go for my lesson with the helicopter group saying that or asking if i d mind rescheduking as hed just done an emergency crop spray from midnight , which is a fair enuff reason to me cos i dont feel like going up with someone who is tired, but still it pissed me off and i was bummed cos im all excited for my lessons, and on top of that theyd already rescheduled a previous lesson. so i went for a drive down that way as was going to my mums anyway so i called in to phs just as a long shot that i could a lesson there, just as i walked in another guy was trying to pay by eftpos for his flight, he didnt have the funds so i managed to grab that hour (good for me bad for him lol) it was a really hard lesson doing change of altude and holding airspeed etc, where hed just pull on the collective, or cyclic or pedals and i had to counteract it . was great fun but hard to. So anyway ive decided to keep flying there now, as their briefing system seems to be more involved and the same with the flying lessons. i bought a digital cam on the weekend my g/f took a couple of pics so i might upload some pics on here soon, i might wait till im actually hovering on my own tho . well until next time have fun ppl :D

yeah i like thier attitude and approach so far robbo. a guy at work one of his friends is an instructor there to sam, he just got back from a stint in the united emirates. the reason i went with helicopter group to start with because i was told about how they will put you on in the territory once you have your licence but i found out yesterday that phs do that aswell. btu well see what the future holds, once ive done about 50 hours im going to start bugging everyone to let me go up lol ill ask any1 i see with a helicopter lol. well all catch yas

ok guys well completed yet another lesson yesterday (monday) and it was great. phs are really good, and they work you much harder in a lesson. We concentrated mainly on holding attitude this time, with the instructor altering the collective, the pedals, and cyclic at various times and speed, it gets quite frustrating sometimes. im having a bit of problem with roll and on the schwiezer they're using a string on the windscreen instead of a balance ball which has been putting me out a bit as in my head we needed to be travelling straight for that to remain balanced but now its my head i might need to crab to keep the helicopter in balance its making sense.Ive also got the ball rolling today for my arn and my student licence with an asic form aswell i think it was god so much bloody paperwork. My next lesson is next tue (melb cup day) ive also booked my gf in for a tif. Hopefully the pilot shop at moorabin will be open that day because i need to purchase a log book now aswell, i thought bike racing was bad enough for money going out this is just as bad lol. So far the instructors ive had have said theyre rather impressed i guess they might just say that to keep you coming back lol. anyway ill update you all next week until then say hi to ya mums for me lol

• 2 weeks later...

and the lessons keep on rolling bye now woohoo. completed another one on melbourne cup day. Also shouted my girlfriend to a tif she was absolutely stoked, apparently freaked out a little with the controls but she loved it. I was up to doing altitude and more elementary handling. Setting a a constant speed and adjusting rpm for straight and level flight, then setting rpm and adjusting airspeed. But the hard part was definately the gaining and losing altidue correctly whilst correcting all the other effects ie id pull collective concentrate on not letting it roll to then find id let the attitude change fix that and find i was flying out of balance. It all gets rather confusing but my coordination especially with the pedals is coming along quite good. This is one of the best decisions ive ever made, hope i can keep affording to do it. catch yas next time. I tried uploading some pics but they didnt work ill try again later.

Good to read about your progress. How many hours roughly would you need up to get your licence?

What trouble are you having with uploading pics? If you need help we can arrange a time and I'll talk you through it in the chat room or via MSN.

hey glenn um judt probs i think with bein on dial up, cos it didnt even upload my reply last week lol. Anyway had another lesson yesterday sun. Its starting to come a little easier now. We were doing gaining and decreasing altitude again, along as turns at the same time. Its all under elementary handling. So well being that for a while now. But im flying a lot steadier already, the coordination is coming along, i also did my first radio call to the control tower, hmm very unnerving. When doing descents and levelling out again i keep ending up a tad low but ill get it soon i think.

Well ive just worked out what the prob was with uploading my pics i was trying to upload straight from my pc, so im putting some onto image shack as i type here lol. So ill attach a couple at the end here. Are there many people learning to fly in this forum at the moment?

the 1st one is my g/f elaine getting in on her tif and the flying one is me on about my 3 rd lesson

• 2 weeks later...

well first up i have to say and ask just how good is the site looking now, its bloody fantastic well done boys. Anywhoo back to the business at hand updating with more lesson stories. I had another on sun 19 i think the date was soz bout delay in writing. anyway im still doing elementary handling so we did level turns, climbs and descents, then climbs and descents whils holding constant rate of turn and climb, holding altitude whilst altering speed and then to finish the lesson off my first real attempt at hovering, and oh my god doesnt that make you feel like a pleb. First got handed control of peddles, went ok, then collective on its own, again ok, then collective and pedals, got that ok, then cyclic on its own yep kinda held it there, and then all 3 together and tha my friends is where life went very pear shaped lol. We went forward backwards, left right round up and down and im quite sure was it completly stationary at any given time. Well i dont have 1 this weekend as the instructors have a wedding to go to, so its next weekend i have to wait till, so until then bye bye. :D

gasket, it's posts like this that make me want to learn to fly so bad. I would love to learn to fly a chopper and I keep saying that when I win lotto, that is what I am going to do. There's so much more freedom and you can land just about anywhere.

Thanks and keep us updated on your progress. 8)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest MattyMan
hey there guys' date=' well i joined up a few weeks ago and in the intro section left a post saying i was about to start doing helicopter lessons. Well, i had my 1st one a week ago and it was bloody great im going up this saturday for my next ( wish i could afford more than 1 a week) The guys where great to talk with im doing it with the helicopter group and the flight to melb and back was fun i managed to hold level flight the whole way apart from my first turn where i gained about 100 feet. whne we got back to the airport i had a quick crack at hovering oh my god now theres an eye opener we where all over the place haha well ill tell yas all about my next lesson after sat cheers and have fun ppl :lol:[/quote']Congratulations on your very first flying lesson. That must of have had the adrenaline pumping, eh? :)

hey matt yeah the adrenaline was good on that first lesson, but its getting better every time i go up now. I havent had a lesson in a few weeks now i was meant to have 1 last sat but the airport was shut down due to smoke, i hope to be going up this sunday. The further into the flying im going the more adrenalin im getting as I have to do harder things each week, and a greater variety of things at the same time. Im starting to actually practice hovering now, and oh my god that is hard, the ol armpits actually start pissing out at that time lol. Well ill chat to yas later on, im going to go sign this petition for careflight.