Fuel starvation

Guest MundooTriker

Guest MundooTriker

I had a bit of a problem with fuel on the weekend, basically resulting the engine (Rotax 503) cutting out due to fuel starvation.

Perhaps I'm a wee touch paranoid, but for example if a fuel filter or leave the fuel tap off, causes fuel starvation, can the engine be damaged from running too lean. The very simple problem I had was rectified very quickly, and the engine appears to be its very happy, well behaved self as long as it gets plenty to drink.

My own informal research on the matter has led to responses such as "don't be ridiculous or paranoid," to "its possible but unlikely".

Are there some wiser more experienced heads that can either give me some reassurance or a good reason to worry!. (I realise this is an open invitation to probable more confusion for me!)

Anyhow, I'll probably learn something.

Thank you chaps

Andrew

If you starved it only for very short while then nothing will have resulted.But if you ran it for a little while & it got a little hot then carbon{if the motor is aged} could start coming loose,you may witness this from the exhuast,still ok.Pistons start holeling if run lean at high revs for a couple of minutes. Also check fuel lines have nice curved lines & no sharp turns,not too aged & can manage the rate of flow easily.

Cheers Ric.;)

I don't suppose you happened to see what the EGT [if fitted] was reading?

If it rose noticeably I would be looking carefully for other signs. Spark Plug electrode colour/condition may give a clue or perhaps reasurance if the Engine shut down rapidly.

Cheers Paul.

If you run it lean it will suffer. A little bit lean and only a little bit of suffering but excessive lean and a 2 stroke will quickly be damaged, 4 strokes take a bit longer.

You really need to monitor EGT and CHT in a 2 stroke, keep a record of the usual temps in climb, cruise and descent so that any changes are apparent.

If you run out of fuel so that the engine is not working, it may still continue to turn driven by the prop windmilling, and it will be missing out on lubrication from the fuel.

Guest Baphomet

Huh? unless you add something else to the equation (oil injection stopped working first etc), fuel starvation won't cause any problems. No fuel=no combustion, no combustion=no heat, no heat=no damage. Changing the mixture is a different issue, and certainly can kill a two stroke.

Guest MundooTriker

Thank you chaps.

It was definitely fuel starvation. EGT was running as per normal (just below 1000). Engine was very well behaved. (It normally is!)

We were back on the deck within 1 minute. As for the prop windmilling, I was too busy watching the ground.

I suppose only time will tell.

Andrew