Australia's Centenary of Powered Flight 2010

Guest Rob Mackay

Guest Rob Mackay

Let's begin this thread.

This is the place to suggest events, news, history for the centenary of powered flight. We all know that there are debates about who flew first but please keep those questions out. This discussion is aimed to coordinate the activities around Australia.

Let's begin this thread.This is the place to suggest events, news, history for the centenary of powered flight. We all know that there are debates about who flew first but please keep those questions out. This discussion is aimed to coordinate the activities around Australia.

Perhaps a brief celebration of Wittbur's attempt in a Bleriot at Bolivar in Adelaide? He preceded Houdini, and of course, there is controversy over whether he actually flew (and therefore over whether he was the first in Oz) but his attempt is worthy of marking, even so. He went on to try to develop a new aircraft, apparently doing this on Kangaroo island, but I don't know what happened to that. THe remains of one of his engines is in the Port Adelaide Aviation Museum.

Regards

Coop

Guest Rob Mackay

Coop,

I could not figure out how to contact the Port Adelaide Aviation Museum because their contact page doesn't work and there is no phone number. However, it appears that the Adelaide Proformat (http://www.jaunay.com/custance.html ) may have information so I have asked them for advise.

Thanks for the tip

Guest Rob Mackay

It was a good lead and they responded today. It appears that a decision will be made and we will be notified next week.

Thanks