what to look for

skeptic36

Hi all,

I'm looking to purchase a trike, having completed 8 hours training and about 4 theory, so have very little knowledge compared to a lot of you.

I have just got onto an airborne edge with a 582 rotax and a wizard wing which I have to go and inspect soon and I am wondering could people experienced with these aircraft give me some clues as to what to look for regarding wear and tear accident damage etc., mostly regarding the more expensive items that may need repair or replacement. Do these engines have a set number of hours when they need to be overhauled or does it just go on general condition ?

Thanks Bill

Bill,

I would advise you to not even consider inspecting the trike on your own. If at all possible, take somebody with you who really knows their way around a trike. If this is too difficult, it would be worth paying your instructor, whatever his going rate may be, to accompany you.

That aside, the whole trike - engine, wing and trike unit - is subject to a 25 hourly scheduled service cycle, which must be carried out and signed for by qualified person. If the trike is 400hr or five years old, then it requires a full overhaul of the engine. The seller should be able to produce all servicing documents for you.

The aircraft log book should (but most of the time doesn't) also list any rectifications or unscheduled servicings, along with any modifications done to the aircraft. Minor mods can be carried out by the owner. Any major mods should be carried out by a qualified person and more importantly be authorised by the manufacture.

Basically Bill, in your position I would be looking at the general condition of the trike, including cleanliness. Also rubber hoses, propeller for correct repairs (expect some damage on any prop), signs of coolant/fuel/oil leakage, spark plugs (not screwtops) and whether wing has had any repairs or UV degradation (Bettsometer test or if not available, fingernail scratch test). Check also for corrosion on wing wires.

If you have any reservations about the trike, it would probably be better to walk away and get a second opinion.

Best of luck

Kev.

I concur with Kev's advice especially wrt to the Bettsometer - try to get hold of one if possible (maybe your instructor has one or you can borrow one from the hgfa if you are a member).

Some people recommend using a bearing tester to measure play in the bearings - nice to do if you can but its not really much of a guarentee so don't worry if not.

One thing I sometimes ask to do when inspecting a 2nd hand trike is look at the pilots logbook. If it has more hours in the plane than the planes logbook does then draw your own conclusions about the vendors honesty.

Finally the aircraft should be test flown preferably by somebody who is familiar with the type - in your case this would be another good reason to take your instructor along.

Cheers

John

Thanks Guys, that all sounds like good advice. I was trying to avoid involving a third party due to the hassle of getting vendor, purchaser, and an expert in the same place at the same time and all that has to fit in with my dairy cows, and you know how fickle 230 females could be :-)

Regards Bill.

Hey Bill..all sound advice from Kev & Crezzi..totally agree with the sail testing concepts & a good aircraft log book is the first place to look when deciding to buy. You can further evaluate the age factor of a machine by the Serial Numbers...both trike & wing. These numbers can provide further evidence of the aircraft's history..model changes, service bulletins & modifications since manufacture.

You should also consider flying several different types/models on the market to make an informed choice to best suit your flying desires. Buying an aircraft is a major decision & getting second opinions from recognised personnel is good advice.

Good luck & smooth flights

Chris :yin_yan:

• 2 months later...

I have wings

Hi all

I recently purchased a trike, she's a beauty :) .I managed to tick all the boxes regarding the advice given to me by you guys and it has worked out well.

I passed my solo exam last week and had 2 days flying in perfect conditions at Porepunka. Flying your own trike over the chalet on top of Mount Buffalo - life surely is good.

Regards Bill

1_000_0216.jpg 1_000_0217.jpg1_000_0218.jpg

Guest Crezzi

Congratulations on your purchase - I wish you many pleasurable hours of triking

Cheers

john

Looks great Bill.

I did some of my early training on a Quantum 912 - a great aircraft, whatever engine it has.:thumb_up:

Safe flying

Kev