West Queensland Drying Out.

willedoo

Recent flight from Toowoomba to Quilpie saw the country finally starting to dry out a bit after the extensive wet weather of the last few months. Last time I did this flight was in November & it was a sea of green grass.

Took off on the new almost finished Toowoomba Airport extension. Asked what size planes could use it, apparently the biggest is still the Dash 8 & it was extended mainly for a better length for the Flying Doctor King Airs, or so I was told.

First two photos are Charleville, last one is Quilpie.

[ATTACH]17991[/ATTACH]

3.jpg.969275ce6c498af516682e792133e08b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Since when have Toowoomba and Quilpie been in West Qld? lol

I guess it is West of South East Qld... but it ain't West Qld for the rest of us Queenslanders.... lol

I was expecting to see a trip report to Mount Isa or Birdsville.... lol

Well given that Quilpie is about 1300 km west of Brisbane, I'd say it's a fair call to call it western Queensland!

:biggrin: Zenonie

Since when have Toowoomba and Quilpie been in West Qld? lolI guess it is West of South East Qld... but it ain't West Qld for the rest of us Queenslanders.... lol

Well given that Quilpie is about 1300 km west of Brisbane, I'd say it's a fair call to call it western Queensland!:biggrin: Zenonie

OK... I will give you the edge of Western Qld... lol It is the compass heading you take. Now say Windorah to me and I think Western Qld (and anything further West)... Quilpie- Its one of those strange places that you never visit unless you are going to Quilpie (or flying) because there is too many dirt roads left any further North West- Heck! I had to g00gle map it to be sure where it even was.... - guess it comes from growing up further West... lol

Hey little old Quilpie has a lot going for it, friendly locals for one thing, a big cattle transport hub (lotsa big trucks), opals ( the only opal altar in the world ), the Bulloo River and wonderful fishing, Station Stays in the immediate area and art galleries too.

A great airport where you can visit the site where Amy Johnson landed in Quilpie and view the display at the Amy Johnson Airport Terminal.

I should be plugging my place just down the road on the Dowling Track, not Quilpie! We all need visitors though, tourism helps keep the local economies ticking along. Cheers Zenonie

Since when have Toowoomba and Quilpie been in West Qld? lolI guess it is West of South East Qld... but it ain't West Qld for the rest of us Queenslanders.... lol

Yes, the flight departed from Toowoomba, which is in south east Qld, Quilpie is only an hours drive east of Eromanga, which claims to be the furtherest town from the coast in Australia, so that's sort of west but probably not what you would call the far south west. Not sure what district it is in officially, seems a bit west of the Maranoa & east of the channel country.

Cheers, Willedoo.

Hey little old Quilpie has a lot going for it, friendly locals for one thing, a big cattle transport hub (lotsa big trucks), opals ( the only opal altar in the world ), the Bulloo River and wonderful fishing, Station Stays in the immediate area and art galleries too. A great airport where you can visit the site where Amy Johnson landed in Quilpie and view the display at the Amy Johnson Airport Terminal.

I should be plugging my place just down the road on the Dowling Track, not Quilpie! We all need visitors though, tourism helps keep the local economies ticking along. Cheers Zenonie

The butcher also sells some of the best steaks in Australia. Hopefully tourism might get a boost with the bitumen steadilly creeping toward Innamincka, already at the Nappamerry bridge with only a small gap back towards Ballera. Fairly soon, people will be able to drive to Innamincka via Thargomindah/Cunnamulla & return via Eromanga & Quilpie on the tar all the way. Never thought I'd see it in my lifetime.

Cheers, Willie.