Airfields around Oz

Hi all. 

I’m very much a newbie and am only now beginning to stretch my wings and fly further and further from home. I fly an RV7A. 

In my planning, I don’t yet have the experience to know the airfield names or acronyms that are the most suitable to use when heading to large centres - eg if I was heading to Melbourne, where would I go to to find that it was either Essendon (YMEN) or Moorabbin (YMMB)?

Is there a GA aircraft Airfield reference point somewhere or is it simply learn through experience/asking?

Thanks in advance,

Geoff

(YBSS)

Get Ozrunways app. Free trial.... may help.

Thanks Downunder - I do already have Ozrunways.  I’ve still got to select the most suitable destinations on it though. 

I'm not sure I get your problem, Geoff, but as long as the Airports and the ALAs indicators are switched on with any OzRunway's map, virtually every landing place in the country shows up with its Identifier and its full name displayed.  In fact, it's often necessary to turn this function off, so as to de-clutter the map display.

And then, in the "Airfields" tab you get a list of all airports and ALAs in the country in alphabetical order.  Plus a search function.

In any case, if you are planning to fly into Essendon and/or Moorabbin, I guess you'll be spending a lot more time with instructors to get your Controlled Airspace endorsements so you'd be picking up heaps more experience with this issue among countless others.  

But probably, despite your being a self-described 'newbie', you know all this already ... and I haven't properly understood your question.

Hi Geoff RV7,

when you say you are just stretching your wings do you mean your instructor is about to put you through some cross country training or have you already completed all of your training?

i have an RV7A and it is a great cross country aircraft. Plenty of speed, plenty of range & a pleasure to fly.

cheers 

Hi Kununurra,

RPL with CSP endorsement achieved about 4 months ago and currently finishing off Nav endorsement. I’ve already begun training for both controlled airspace & controlled aerodrome endorsements which, when completed, will give me all I need as no desire (at this stage anyway) for IFR or multi engine. 

Ive done a number of cross countries but whilst doing practice flight plans, often use major centers as destinations- hence my questions. 

I simply cant wait to put them all into real practice!

G

I'm also not sure I get your question. 

Ozrunways has a "document" link to the various airports. This will give all the info on each airport. 

The only real restrictions are airspace and controlled airports.