Headsets for music and PC?

Guest Rocko

Guest Rocko

OK, I admit this is a completely off the wall question. Something noone would really do, but.....well, I'm a techno geek, and can't help wondering irrelevant things like this ;)

Buuuuuut....has anyone plugged a set of aviation headsets into a home amp to listed to music? If so, how do they sound? Even more curiously, has anyone set them up as a speaker/mike setup for their PC, and used them with Skype or such? ;>

Sure, it's a stupid idea, mebbe! But I'd wondered how the sound and pickup quality of the headset speakers and mike compared with many of the cheap headsets used for PC's. Since I can never find an especially comfortable set of headphones for my stereo, and the flight ones block out external noise better, I'd been curious ;)

Scotty

Av headsets have 2 mics for noise cancelling ( the 3 way plug), which one would you use?

Listening should be fine, as far as I can see.

But the longing for the wings that normally accompany the headsets may be overpowering.

Guest Fred Bear

How about those that hook these up so there is music when they are flying? Always wondered how they concentrate doing these things...

music & pone with headset

Tried on a set of "Light Speed -zulu" headsets at Natfly- Noise cancelling was impressive in the canteen area. Works with any bluetooth equipped cellular phone, ipod, etc. Can be set to dull out music etc while receiving radio calls. Great - no wires or special connectors you cannot find. This arrangement was so impressive that even a grumpy old ersa reader like might be encouraged to embrace the unwired techno-freak complexity !

Guest Rocko

My Xcom760 had audio input, which cut the iPod music when flying. It then had a delay before the music slowly gained in volume again, so as not to startle you. Excellent feature, in a great little radio.

Never found it that distracting. In fact, found it the opposite.

Then again, I always turned the intercom to pilot isolate, or off, whenever around anywhere with any traffic.

I did a fair bit of listening to music through my david clarks (forgotten which model) while I was building my mp3 mixer circuit (see the kit building section). The quality was suprisingly good, but they are only mono so...

On the whole listening to music while flying thing - I find there is generally so much radio traffic happening that your not going to get a chance to listen to music anyways, and your favourite songs will keep getting muted for the radio. I came up with the idea for the mp3 mixer after a particularly quite afternoon session of circuits where I was the only one around, and hence the only interruptions would have been my own. That sort of day just doesn't seem to come up that often.