Mercedes Smart Car engine - anyone used one?

Wirraway

I have searched this website, found a couple of posts dating back some years, but does anyone have any recent experience using the Mercedes Smart car engine in aircraft?

There was one recently at White Gum Farm, York, but I did not get the chance to chat with the owner. Just wondering pros and cons?????

Can't help you there Mate, but may I suggest a Toyota KR 1.0 instead?

Although not a stock item in Australia, the Yaris came with a 1.3 and 1.5 4cylinder here, they are in just about every other country in the world, and at least 2 doing kits for them.

http://www.aeromomentum.com/am10.html

A few years ago those Yaris engines were lined up in rows at wreckers and there was so little demand for them they went for scrap at very low prices.. Things change fast with such items. Designs have detail changes making changes to your "bits that fit" them necessary. Don't rebuild engines . That's not cost effective. Just get good ones and use them. That means they don't sit in the open unprotected or remain for years in a corned with junk all over it. Nev

I have searched this website, found a couple of posts dating back some years, but does anyone have any recent experience using the Mercedes Smart car engine in aircraft?

There was one recently at White Gum Farm, York, but I did not get the chance to chat with the owner. Just wondering pros and cons?????

The aircraft at Whitegum was "Viv's" (Vivian?). It is an FK aircraft. Nice bloke and would be happy to talk to you I think. 

Contact the SABC. 

https://www.sabc.org.au/

Or attend the fly in, this 27th October. 

From what I know it runs fine but the engine (and conversion) was out of production some time ago so parts are not as common and you usually need to import from europe. 

If l was looking for a new engine, Aeromomentum as above would be my number 1.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

The aircraft at Whitegum was "Viv's" (Vivian?). It is an FK aircraft. Nice bloke and would be happy to talk to you I think. 

Contact the SABC. 

https://www.sabc.org.au/

Or attend the fly in, this 27th October. 

From what I know it runs fine but the engine (and conversion) was out of production some time ago so parts are not as common and you usually need to import from europe. 

If l was looking for a new engine, Aeromomentum as above would be my number 1.

Thanks for that, appreciate your comments.

Of all the auto engines to choose from, my personal choice would be a Honda.

The reason being, I've don't ever recall seeing a Honda engine blown-up (not to say it doesn't happen), they last incredible kms in cars - and I've got a stack of new Honda water pumps I can't sell, because it appears Honda water pumps, last the life of the engine.

It's also the engine choice of Aeromomentum, and I'm sure they did their homework on reliability and durability.

Reliability is a very high priority, but weight may be more important; I've never been able to find info about the comparative weight of the basic engine. 

I was very keen on the three-cylinder Suzuki G10 engine; several companies converted them for aircraft use. Unfortunately, once a redrive was added, all were heavier than a Jab 2.2.

Spacey, in 1936, the old Hitlers Revenge might have had a superb pedigree, but engineering has advanced a considerable way since the young Ferdinand put pencil to drawing board, to produce a "peoples car".

In fact engine design, metallurgy, and manufacturing advances have advanced in sizeable leaps just in the last 20 years. Vastly improved metallurgy, with new high-strength alloys, in both steel and aluminium alloys, has led to much more durable engines.

Diamond-Like Coating (DLC) for fuel injection components and engine internal components, has led to improved power output, reduced wear, and longer engine life.

Sintered Powder Metallurgy has revolutionised the manufacturing of precision components, as well as adding strength with vastly improved metallic homogeneity, and improved grain structure.

Fracture-split connecting rods now utilised in many manufacturing operations results in a more durable conrod-bearing cap coupling, with a more precise fit.

https://mitchell1.com/shopconnection/fracture-split-connecting-rods-no-thats-not-a-broken-part/

All this of course, has been aided in the last 20-25 years, by substantial improvements in oils and new oil additives, with vastly better lubricating qualities and higher load-carrying capacities of the oils.

• Like 1

The 3 cyl Suzuki wasn't without crankshaft failures. The trouble with auto derived engines you have some difficulty mounting anything on them and mounting them in the aircraft. Then the drive has to be well engineered. The one on the 912 is an example of how much trouble one has to go to to do it right and there's weight involved. . Much easier if you can get an engine "off the Hook". Nev

• Agree 1