CASA really need to look at the rest of the world

Kyle Communications

https://dlife.com/faa-may-allow-pilots-with-insulin-treated-diabetes-to-fly-commercial-airlines/?fbclid=IwAR1R6TS_jkeCJ8BxTrCA92kcihGjqj2D_B_h2XYqfSpAIUgcf5-rYsK2SCA

At least the FAA have licence class for diabetics in private aviation..not like here. CASA literally have a blanket NO on the situation

Most diabetics actually are far more intune with their bodies than those that just wander around in their daily lives.

• Like 1

Well they refused me a class 2 licence since the mid 1990's for type 2 diabeties. I now finally have a basic class 2 because its the actual DAME who makes the decision on whether you are safe enough to fly not some paper pusher behind a desk in CASA. Common sense prevails when given the oppertunity.

Note how he says the first one...he doesnt say how much all that cost him either. I will bet if you approach CASA now it will still be NO...basic class 2 is the only real option because the decision is made outside of CASA and remains outside of CASA

Its hard to have a open mind when you hear all the horror story's about CASA.

Read the book by the original flying doctor, Clyde Fenton and you will get the cat and mouse game which started long before CASA even existed.

Where a story affects you, there's nothing like hitting the net and books and finding out the facts; they won't always go your way, but at least you'll know the real reason.

Comparing the differences between what is allowed by FAA and CASA is particularly hazardous because both are at different stages of complying with more ICAO standards, and both have different reasons for rejecting different compliances in different areas as is their right as sovereign States, and even if they want to do someting they still have to comply with the different laws of their lands..........and that would have to add up to millions of potential differences.

I know a guy who has flown safely for 40 plus years with diabetes. I reckon he is completely safe. I have known him to say that he will not be up to flying on the odd occasion, so I agree he is more in tune with his body than the rest of us.

There was a guy who died with a current DAME medical. He  didn't fly in his last 2 weeks because he  " felt crook".    

There is no need in my opinion to have nasty legal prohibitions on us amateur pilots.

Gosh Downunder, you would need to be flying in controlled airspace to be anywhere near those planes .

I did a lot of my early flying at Moruya Airport (CTAF) which had several REX Saab 340b in and out daily.  I suspect this would not be unusual at many regional airports.

• Agree 2

There's no such thing as "amateur" airspace which even commercial jets  operate in at times. It's controlled  (where you need a clearance to enter (or leave) or  alternatively, as it was know OCTA ..Outside CTA.  Positive separation from other traffic is supposed to exist in CTA.  VFR ceases at FL 210 regardless of visibility. Nev