cutting holes in an aluminium instrument panel

Your'e building your own aircraft and you want things done well but you don't want to pay everyone else to do things or you may as well buy a factory built one. A basic hole saw, half round file, wine bottle/tapered drink glass and some emery paper is all you need for perfect results plus you have the pride in having done it all yourself.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Winner 1

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have a variety of shapes and holes to cut out of a panel, I would suggest you plan it all out carefully with a sheet of cardboard and then take it to someone that does laser cutting.

As mentioned I am building up everything on a MDF mockup. When I'm happy with that I'll cut out the he's in my Ali panel. I'm more aligned with kgwilson on this. Hell, if I wasn't prone to losing inertia of rather have built from plans but the it would take 20 years ?

I had all my aluminium wing profiles cut by laser and elevator/hs cost $400 not cheap but perfect

Hi Gareth,

If I was building any aerofoil, from scratch, I would, like you, go the extra $$$ to get the most consistent shapes that I could BUT an instrument panel is not an aerofoil and any little anomalies in its cut out will not effect handling/performance of the aircraft.

• Agree 1

Hi Skip, yes your right ,I did cut all my holes in panel by hand just to hard to put it on pdf to give to laser cutter and I have changed the panel 3 times before cutting, and all my sheets are cut with and Olfa knife

• 2 weeks later...

I've made several prototype panels using a simple jigsaw for the holes. File and sand for good fit.

When entirely happy, I then drew them in a simple CAD program and sent the resulting AutoCAD file to a local waterjet shop. €100 for three panels. Then had them stove painted for another €25.

DSC00005.JPG.dfd1ec82aaa8b903dd7374131d6aa34a.JPG

• Like 2