New Design For LSA

Wilfred

New Design For LSA

Although the majority of U.S. light sport aircraft (LSA) were adapted from older designs in the European market, this is about to change. LSA continues to take on a life of its own as new aircraft are being designed specifically for the light sport market.

Designed from scratch as an LSA, the futuristic-looking Nexaer LS1 is preparing for its first flight, to be followed by a thorough test program. The two-seater has a carbon-fiber fuselage, a ribless wing and a simplified no-flap design. Calculations based on 120 hp predict stall speed at 44 knots, maximum speed in level flight at 120 knots and take-off distance at 350 feet. Paul Klahn, president of Nexaer, explained, “Like Boeing’s 777, this project was entirely computer based and while computers can’t actually test-fly the prototype, they do indicate favorable performance projections.†The company expects to receive LSA certification by the end of 2006; deliveries should start in mid-2007.

opener.jpg.bcf237fb27c36021bedd938b44a4a411.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Who cares about no flaps. I find it very easy to slip to lose altitude and if I stuff up I don't have to worry about retracting flaps carefully to go round.

From memory there is one light aircraft without flaps which should not be sideslipped, now that would be hard to judge landings in.

Ian

looking at that aircraft again, how would it handle a spin? with a very small relative vertical surface??

somone mentioned in another post about the spin, or lack of spin recover qualities of the Allegro, being a T tail, yet, the aircraft above has the horizontal stab higher in relation to the wing than the allegro. as well as the rear fuse sides would be more shielded in a spin.