Dynon 10A LCD Screen Issue.

984226134_20200809_102520s.jpg.2d4b6ab21aad6e14681664dc438955c5.jpg 1573920115_20200809_102923s.jpg.00a6bb0fbe02c62e9378446c9a8f7e06.jpg

My Dynon 10 A has been in service since 2006, so I can't really complain. However, the LCD screen has slowly deteriorated to a point requiring investigation.

The polarizing layer on the LCD has started to fail via delamination. The instrument is still clearly readable, but this deterioration is no doubt on going.

This is not a uncommon LCD failure mode, no doubt promoted by a hot hangar environment. Sending this back to Dynon USA for repair may take several months under current freight restrictions and I have not even enquired about the cost of this. It has been reinstalled to fill the hole in the Jab panel.

The Dynon 10A LCD panel is easily accessed as I have already been inside to see if the LCD panel had any ID for sourcing a replacement. What serial numbers I found, Mr Google, Alibaba etc did not recognise.

So eventually I am obviously going to have to replace the polarizing layer (plenty of demos on youtube) or bite the bullet and send it back to Dynon.

But my question is, does anybody know of a source of LCD polarizing layer material? I get plenty of response to a internet search, but these all seem to be screen protectors for phones, tablets etc. and I am not sure these are polarized. Ill buy one and test it.

Alan

[ATTACH type=full" alt="20200809_102520 s.jpg]55281[/ATTACH] [ATTACH type=full" alt="20200809_102923 s.jpg]55282[/ATTACH]

My Dynon 10 A has been in service since 2006, so I can't really complain. However, the LCD screen has slowly deteriorated to a point requiring investigation.

The polarizing layer on the LCD has started to fail via delamination. The instrument is still clearly readable, but this deterioration is no doubt on going.

This is not a uncommon LCD failure mode, no doubt promoted by a hot hangar environment. Sending this back to Dynon USA for repair may take several months under current freight restrictions and I have not even enquired about the cost of this. It has been reinstalled to fill the hole in the Jab panel.

The Dynon 10A LCD panel is easily accessed as I have already been inside to see if the LCD panel had any ID for sourcing a replacement. What serial numbers I found, Mr Google, Alibaba etc did not recognise.

So eventually I am obviously going to have to replace the polarizing layer (plenty of demos on youtube) or bite the bullet and send it back to Dynon.

But my question is, does anybody know of a source of LCD polarizing layer material? I get plenty of response to a internet search, but these all seem to be screen protectors for phones, tablets etc. and I am not sure these are polarized. Ill buy one and test it.

Alan

May be a silly comment but if the original layer comes off could car window tint or similar do the job?

May be a silly comment but if the original layer comes off could car window tint or similar do the job?

That may not be a silly question. But are window films polarised? and then again are there variation in the line resolution of the polarizing and does this matter?.

But thank you a good point; It has promted me to think, I have several redundant LCDs, I'll strip the polarising layer off these and test various films

• Like 1