Fatal accident near Orange 4/11/2020

Two die in light plane crash

Two people have been killed in a plane crash in the state's Central West.

Police said emergency services received reports on Wednesday night a light plane had crashed after leaving Orange Regional Airport.

The two people on board, believed to be a man and a woman, died at the scene.

Chifley Police District is investigating.

Police said on Wednesday night formal identification was yet to be confirmed.

The local rag is saying it was a training flight from Bankstown-Orange-Carcoar with FlightAware & FlightRadar showing VH-OIS flew that route, deparing Orange 0537UTC before heading to CarCoar before their return disappeared.

Edited by KRviator

Last light was 7.35 and Carcoar is only 30nm from orange.  If they were planning on overnight in orange then there is adequate time to get back there and on the ground before last light plus.  

if they were aiming for Bankstown then it would have become night vfr before they got back but it may have been planned at that - it’s GA not RAAus so that is possible depending on permissions. 

On 05/11/2020 at 2:44 PM, shafs64 said:

I think that aircraft was the only one of it's type in OZ.

According to Aust Rego Seach (Resources, this site) there are (make that were) five on the Aus Register. I photograhed one at Ian Baillie Aircraft Sales, ex Soar.

4 hours ago, red750 said:

According to Aust Rego Seach (Resources, this site) there are (make that were) five on the Aus Register. I photograhed one at Ian Baillie Aircraft Sales, ex Soar.

I think i did say the only one of five LOL.

The crash site is 600M ENE of Coombing Park airstrip (YCPK  33 37.7 S  149 7.5 E) where the ground rises several hundred feet. Appears they may have done a touch & go or missed approach on 09 & lost it on climb out.

crash site.png

• Agree 1

On 07/11/2020 at 9:29 AM, Bill said:

Appears they may have done a touch & go or missed approach on 09 & lost it on climb out.

crash site.png

The Flightaware track looked like two uneventful circuits followed but a wider circuit and a premature turn mid base leg before the trace ceased.

Edited by rankamateur

• 2 weeks later...

ON CARCOAR  and CROOKWELL

...WELL !!!  do we know if it was going east or west - BECAAUSE : 

the north-south line of hills to the east is 950m off the end of that runway heading EAST........ and hills are 130m elevation above the middle of the strip (google earth) . strip appears to slope up in that direction .

IF they were performing a T&G or TO to the EAST , at 70 kts, they needed >= 500 fpm to clear that obstruction.

Density altitude was about 3900' at the time. approx . The strip shows ~ 1100m long. not bad. 

I have run the calcs on the spirited Brumby 610 at MTOW , and by the POH , it would NOT get out on the straight out departure even at Vx.  I'd have to run the numbers to see if it could get out in a orbit climb....... rate 1 turn when established airborne  would hurt climb.  Might work. ...
UP hill runway. (to east) really hurts.

A touch and go doesnt do much for you over a TO, especially if the touch was half way down the runway.

wind at Orange AP was SW at the time. (westerly wind would hurt) 

I am doing a NAV to Crookwell soon, and I've run the density altitude numbers , and looked at the required climb rate, and aircraft performance (TO and climb) 

at 1016, OAT = 24 (morning, bit of humidity) ,

to my surprise....... the airplane, which will be near MTOW on the first leg is MARGINAL.  Could do it as LAST leg of NAV when lighter, but then the OAT will be 4 deg higher, (but humiity  down a bit)

• Informative 1

In an RV6 would be a shoe in....

But that Aquila 210, according to the book  data . reading the POH ....

750 fpm (ICAO, MTOW) means maybe... 

500kg empty, maybe 700kg with pax and some fuel. 912S 100hp rotax. 

Wow this is a nice aircraft !

Vx 52 kts ( nice and slow  giving it a good chance to climb) . so climb rate required min >= 400 fpm... OK.... (at nil wind) 

according to the book, should have been making 500-650 fpm in those conditions ...

So if they used Vx, and everything was going well and right on the money, nil wind, they might have cleared the hill by about 150 feet.

It was certainly not nil wind that day. But I have no ideal of the local wind for that place. 

based on my analysis in the last two messages, takeoff  to the east,  in an aircraft  that is not capable of at least 1000 fpm at ICAO sea level, needs to be carefully evaluated .

• Like 1

Carcoar : and if the wind was from the east  (which might encourage a pilot to TO to the east ) , which  a sea breeze, early evening, would generate  I would expect a downwash off the hill  - unwanted !  

I found a solution to Crookwell, westerly TO and once established 50'  airborne  by 50% of runway used, (Use a short field takeoff technique)  , gentle climbing turn to the right , which takes you down the river valley (slightly falling ground) (instead of into the range !)  , clean paddocks, to get the first 500 feet, and this will be into northerly wind component, to improve climb RATE and  then get into a full right orbit climb and depart overhead the strip for intercept  next track . Because it's counter left hand circuit convention, would need to be on good lookout and radio.    A left hand climb with mostly westerly component is by many accounts  deadly- full of downdraft.

I've looked at a few ADs that have had been attempted to be certified and CASA knocked them back and then ones I have looked at this has been for I think good reason.

Just looked at the Wiki ,  Aquila A210, specifications - struck me that this aircraft has similar dimensions to my Zephyr, using the the same 912  engine BUT its empty weight is 200 kg heavier. Now that will almost certainly result in an anemic TO/Climb performance, without even considering its Max weight (750 kg). 750 ft/min claimed but I recon that was on a good day, at sea level.

the A210 looks like a nice aircraft.

yep that is what it is ICAO, MTOW and clean. And when these slippery planes get full of bugs, it hurts performance. Whereas the Brumby with its deep and thick chord wings is (relatively) insensitive to bugs and contamination.  

12 minutes ago, RFguy said:

the A210 looks like a nice aircraft.

yep that is what it is ICAO, MTOW and clean. And when these slippery planes get full of bugs, it hurts performance. Whereas the Brumby with its deep and thick chord wings is (relatively) insensitive to bugs and contamination.  

"Handsome is as handsome does"

At our strip a Piper Tomahawk, doing circuits elected to fly towards the hill when a stiff easterly was on his nose. Instead of turning x-wind after take off he flew into the downdraft and failed to clear the hill.  Expensive lesson but, luckily, in this case not fatal.