Near Miss?

Guest aaronb

Guest aaronb

Just Wandering If Any One Has Had Any Sort Of Near Miss In There Training Of Flying Life? That Thay Would Like To Share?

Probably doesn't count but I had a near miss with the airfield fence at Polo Flat when first learning to land. New task, lots of stress, brain o'load... just after an awkward touch down the Allegro started running off to the left and to correct Ipushed the rudder pedals as if driving a billy cart smiley3.gif. Thankfully my CFI was onto it very smartly. Can't remember if we lifted off over the fence or came about in line with the strip again. Have never forgotten that experience and have never made the mistake since, yet.

Paul

How about passing under another aircraft in the circuit doing in the opposite direction and missing by about 3-4 feet @ 120 knots each!

The pilot is old and half blind, yet still believes he is able to fly legally. He was at 1,000ft and claims he never went below 1,500ft when I gave pursuit. He couldn't ignore my wake turbulence that I inflicted upon himto get his attention. That's about the closest I have come.

How about passing under another aircraft in the circuit doing in the opposite direction and missing by about 3-4 feet @ 120 knots each! That's about the closest I have come.

Wow, any closer Nosmo and you wouldn't be talking about it.

had a pidgeon fly through the propellor arc and snap the temperature probe of a Piper archer while in the circuit at YSBK. unfortunatly the propbe is in the windscreen and it made a nice full length crack down the centre of the window.

i was carrying a friend at the time, i saw the little grey dot, said, Whats that? then he yelled Pidgeon, then BANG!!

for some reason we found it extremly funny at the time..

second closest was arguing about airspace wih a Pelican at 5000 ft above maitland. though he made the right decision and dived below the aircraft at the last second, after turning left then right then left again. i figured he has seen me, so ill fly straight on and he will get out of the way, fortuantly he did.

worst aircraft related was an engine failure on very short finals, as i pulled power back to idle passing over the fence to slow down for the flare, the engine stopped. only proved to be a bent throttle stop letting the engine go to idle cut off.

pretty tame really.

While at Narromine a few years back, I was doing some instruction with a club member in our LightWing.

We had gone to the far side of town (about eight miles East) and were doing stall training between about 3500 and 2500ft.

After about ten minutes worth, and hanging on the prop for the final full stall, the nose pitched down to about 40° just in time to cast our shadow over the top of a Cessna 185 about 40ft below us heading in the same direction! :ah_oh: 088_censored.gif.2b71e8da9d295ba8f94b998d0f2420b4.gif

His wake was fairly violent. :confused:

I fronted the owner later that day, who denied ever seeing me, then tried to make it seem like it was my fault! 068_angry.gif.cc43c1d4bb0cee77bfbafb87fd434239.gif

I think he'll keep his eyes open a bit more now, so I let it go.

Arthur.

• 3 weeks later...

Arthur were you in a flying training area doing stalls ? Also did you do the usual required 360deg clearing turns.

My own brush with danger came at Moorabbin when I was on final for a full stop landing on 35 Left in a Victa Airtourerand was called up by a Cessna asking my intentions. On being told, he advised he was going round and came out from underneath me. I was at about 200 ft.

More than I would have liked so far, and the over riding lesson from it all is that you need to keep a very good look out - for the unexpected as well as the possible.

The first was probably the most memorable - practicing steep turns in the training area, prior to gaining an unrestricted private licence (1992). Having thought I had made sufficient broadcasts, and made a clearing turn, I conducted a series of left and then right 360 degree turns at 45 and then 60 degrees abgle of bank.

Rolling out of the final one I was met with an oncoming light twin that I instinctively continued the turn away from and climbed over. I could not say how close the other aircraft was, but their was nothing in the trajectory of the twin to suggest they ever saw me.

I cut my sortie short and returned to the field to land fairly well shaken.

The second thing I would take away from 'near misses' over the years is that aircraft on converging courses are very difficult to see until quite close - just like all the litreature tells us about objects staying in a constant position in the windshield.

Hello everyone here is my story and invaluable lessons learnt.

Way back during my early flight training, the CFI sent me up for solo circuit practice. It was a very busy morning at the school, the wind was variable and the circuit contained about five aircraft including two instructional RAA as well as an instructional GA. Everyone on circuit maintained good separation and there was no problem with my flying or landings. I was having a good time.

However, an aircraft on the ground made a taxi call for departure and nominated the opposite runway. Accordingly, the CFI broadcast that circuit direction will now change. All pilots complied and as each aircraft landed, they simply held at the opposite runway to await the all clear.

Unfortunately, this little duckling was last. I made the "all stations…" base-call for a full stop, completed base leg, turned final, proceeded to short final, flare and hold-off. I was very pleased with my effort so far and could sense that the aircraft would pull up unusually (for me) short. I could also see the other aircraft at the far end waiting for me to complete the landing.

"Are we right to go?" interrupted my pleasure as an instructor made a broadcast. My concern was now rising and with my hand on the brake lever, I could not immediately broadcast a warning response.

My concern quickly turned to horror when I saw the other aircraft, by now doing about 50knt, accelerating towards me. Both hands were now hard on the brake lever and miraculously my aircraft veered off to the left. As the other aircraft passed, the instructor issued a very uncomplimentary broadcast at my actions on the side of the runway.

Regaining composure, I completed the landing roll, turned, broadcast my departure with a slight quiver and took off to warily continue circuit practice.

Later, back on the ground, I waited to discuss the misunderstanding with the instructor. I gave a cordial greeting and then advised that I had in fact made a base call and landed on RWY-xx. Suffice to say the instructor’s jaw dropped at the realisation of what could have happened. I was not simply a taxiing aircraft on the side of the runway!

Lessons learnt and in no particular order:

- When non-independent brakes are applied in earnest, tricycle steering is ineffective. You need to release the brakes to steer. In this case it probably helped, because at the last instant, I might have tried to steer to the right as per the regulations!

- We are all human and we all make mistakes. Including flying instructors.

- Always be vigilant and expect the unexpected.

- Always make a clear broadcast when lining up for departure

- At the first hint of a developing situation, always make a clear broadcast of your position. In this case, a short final call from me would have been enough to warn the waiting aircraft.

You may ask, "was this incident reported?"

No, philosophically, I’m thankful to have learned the lessons above as has the instructor.