Go-around goes wrong for CTSW (Müncheberg • July '20)

54 minutes ago, Jabiru7252 said:

I had to go around just after touch down in my Jab. Full flaps and the trim was full back, as expected. The tendency for the nose to pitch up is quite noticeable.

There was a fatal a few years back at Yarram in a J170 for that exact reason during his go around which was quite sad for not only the pilot but also for the people that saw it unfold.

Alf

The Yarram accident was investigated by the ATSB. Pilots new and old should be reading these on a regular basis. The wind was pretty strong on the day and full flap was probably not appropriate. 

https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2016/aair/ao-2016-112/

• Informative 1

Jab flaps control location :

I actually want to move (or add a 2nd )  my flaps control of my Jab from down there cluttered between carb heat, choke and cabin heat , between other controls to the spare area right next and above the throttle. 

That way I could keep my hand on the throttle and drive the flaps in the same hand instead of having to reach over with my throttle hand,  reach long and lean over and stretch, and look down where my hand is ,  when I should be looking outside the plane during a rather critical manouver in a late go around.....

ideally, first stage flaps LED indicator  because you dont want to go from full flaps to nothing (accidently) because the stall speed increase is rather abrupt at zero flap compared to TO flaps. With TO flaps the plane flys pretty damn well. you could be in trouble at 55 kts and nil flap depending on what you are doing. But TO flap  the plane is good to mid 40s.

Edited by RFguy
  • Like 1

Why use full flap for every landing? I rarely do in my planes & even when I drove the heavy metal full flap was not always used. Low powered machines & high flap angles combined with poor ergonomics in most basic machines as well as very average drivers = high risk!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, Jabiru7252 said:

I had to go around just after touch down in my Jab. Full flaps and the trim was full back, as expected. The tendency for the nose to pitch up is quite noticeable.

My RV is the same, I fly the approach almost full nose-up trim and when I to touch and goes, it has an aggressive nose-up tendency. It's not at all hard to counteract it while the trim is running but you do need to be prepared for it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Flightrite said:

Why use full flap for every landing? I rarely do in my planes & even when I drove the heavy metal full flap was not always used. Low powered machines & high flap angles combined with poor ergonomics in most basic machines as well as very average drivers = high risk!

Good point, Flighty. I almost never do, but sometimes we need some practice in case things go quiet.
On Wednesday I did a few approaches on full flap and managed some nice short landings. While focussed on nailing the aiming point, the ASI slipped way back to Vs1.2.
Luckily there was no winds shear or turbulence.

Something most never practice is flying at Vs inc full 360 turns using power & attitude to stay right at the stall speed which oddly enuf isn't the actual stall. Recently a fried bought an RV7 unfortunately with a training wheel (a very benign machine if you are confident) so I went with him as a safety driver, poor bugger I made him fly it at the stall speed +3 kts, he did reasonably well considering in 30 years had never been shown nor asked to do it!  There in lies half the problems why cemeteries are full of stall/spin victims!

• Informative 1

There's plenty of planes that want to go very nose up on a go around .IF you are going to do it , practice it.  A s well  as strong stick forces and large trim changes required as speed increases there's a lot of performance loss due extra drag. with a lot of flap extended... Nev

Had a wing drop on the flare in a Warrior once, first instict was full throttle and go around.

Recovered the plane.

Now this was during a check flight and l had  a experienced intsructor on board, as we want around we discussed what happened.

What we think happened  is we lost lift on the left wing due to gusty conditions.

There were trees on the right of use that may have also been a factor.

Passed the check flight, he was very happy with my reactions and the discusssion afterwards.

l think its more a lack of training and the fear of calling going around might be the problem here.

regards Bruce

The Warrior has both ground effect and along manual "handbrake type" flap lever on the RH/Throttle side (which RFG was looking for), and this allows you to vary both the speed and amount of flap extension and retraction, so infinitely better control than a wrong-handed electric flap switch. You get to sense the flap stages with hand movement and audible click, so that peering at the scale to make sure you don't go too far is eliminated, and another bonus. If you are making  forced landing and engine is out, electrics are out, you still have a flap had free, and if you've misjudge the paddock and are about to trip over the end fence, you can yank on full flap and jump your way over the fence.

• Like 3