CHT sensor Temperature versus original below sparkplug thermocouple

Alan

I have 12 channel temperature monitoring on my Jab 230C with the sensors fitted between the spark plugs on the heads.  I was wondering whether there is any known calibration differences between these and the original Jabiru sensor ring fitted under a spark plug.

On a hot day during climb out my between head CHT indication can rise up to 180°C, (although in reality I slow the climb to keep the temps down, max last flight was ambient 35°C, CHT =178°C).  However,  the original Jabiru spark plug senor is always well in the green?

Alan

• 10 months later...

Problem solved.  My 12 channel MGL temperature monitor had been fitted incorrectly and was connected to the aircraft earth.  The instructions clearly state the instrument should be earthed on the engine block.  After correcting this my CHT temperatures all remain below 150°C and agree with the Jabiru original sensor fitted under #6 sparkplug.

Finding this earlier could have saved me a lot of stuffing about with ducts and engine cowl flaps, to say nothing of an early complete engine re-build by Jabiru taking it to the latest Gen 3 spec ( After fitting the CHT monitoring I thought I had been over-heating my engine continuously - hence my caution).

If you want something doing correctly - do it yourself comes to mind.

Alan

• Like 2
  • Informative 2

• 3 months later...