Sustained stall, full left rudder ? used a little aileron to the left to stop right yaw.

That is obviously a very forgiving aircraft, can do same thing in a thruster. Remember that the most forgiving aircraft can still stall and spin to the ground if the pilot is not paying attention. Defined Minimum Maneuvering Speed (1.4 x stall speed) live it.

2 hours ago, Thruster88 said:

That is obviously a very forgiving aircraft, can do same thing in a thruster. Remember that the most forgiving aircraft can still stall and spin to the ground if the pilot is not paying attention. Defined Minimum Maneuvering Speed (1.4 x stall speed) live it.

It certainly acts like a forgiving aircraft. On the other hand, it can buffet and drop a wing when going into a stall. It is not one of those planes that just mushes in the stall (not that I have experienced one), hence the need to keep full rudder to stop it yawing and/or keep a wing up. It usually drops the right wing but it can be the left one, IIRC. Fuel in the tanks was equal. The stall is more stable if it has some flap and/or power.

I think I put in a little bit of left aileron at around 30 s. Before that, the right wing dropped, and I put in left rudder, the left wing dropped a bit, I put in a bit of right rudder, the right wing dropped and I put in full left rudder. Even with full left rudder, there was yaw to the right, so I added a tiny bit of aileron to the left, that was not bigger than the accidental jerking of the control wheel that was happening most of the time. The rudder pedals in the passenger footwell are visible. 

Edited by APenNameAndThatA

A Cessna 172 can be very tame in a stall till you put more weight in the rear seat. You can go too far  with the full rudder bit. There are limits to it lifting a dropped wing. The stalls that kill are often dynamic  where the speed and "G" force is higher and power is on, (but maybe not enough).  The "Usual" way of presenting stalls is nigh on useless, because it doesn't represent what will happen in real life OR give you a small height loss recovery option.  Nev

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, facthunter said:

A Cessna 172 can be very tame in a stall till you put more weight in the rear seat. You can go too far  with the full rudder bit. There are limits to it lifting a dropped wing. The stalls that kill are often dynamic  where the speed and "G" force is higher and power is on, (but maybe not enough).  The "Usual" way of presenting stalls is nigh on useless, because it doesn't represent what will happen in real life OR give you a small height loss recovery option.  Nev

Yeah, I won't be doing any skidding or slipping stalls. The one you were talking about, stalling during a balanced, steepish turn, I won't be doing either. Not unless I do it with my instructor first and he signs off.

If you all don't mind me labouring the point, this is what makes stalls scarier than spins. I would not mind doing doing anything in a plane rated for spins because if you spin you just recover. In a RA-Aus plane, I'm asking myself, "Okay, this is just a stall, but I don't want to do something what will cause even an incipient spin because then I'll be spinning." So: stalls: potential disaster. Spins: no probs. Likewise, uneven fuel load: is it safe to do even a very basic stall with one tank full and one empty? I'm not about to find out: the lower wing with be the heavier one. 

Nev, how do you mean that there are limits to lifting a wing with the rudder. You have mentioned this before. Naturally, if I  was correcting an unintended stall, I would use the stick forward (and use rudder but not rely in it). Are you worried that if I try and pick up a wing *as soon as* it drops, that something could go wrong? My own thinking is that if the wing does not come up, you are no worse off that if a wing really dropped in a stall, and you can just push the stick forward with neutral ailerons - and the rudder is already in the anti-spin position. Very curious to know your thoughts. 

I don't want to start half intentionally doing incipient spins in an aircraft not rated for spins. 

Edited by APenNameAndThatA

Prevent it dropping with active rudder to a degree but there is a a limit to lifting it a long way up. Unload the wing if you can and don't use ailerons until the speed rises. Get your MAN to do a falling leaf if you want some practice in this.. Remember STALLs are an angle of attack thing and the elevator determines that EXCEPT when you are autorotating (spinning) and the rudder and elevators may be shielded somewhat. (in dirty air).  Nev

• Agree 1