Interesting analysis of Concorde accident.

He explains the entire series of unfortunate events very well, for those who have previously had no knowledge of what happened. It was a classic case of all the holes in the Swiss cheese lining up.

The fact that the metal strip from the DC10 was tough titanium, and not aluminium as specified, only magnified the problem that the Concorde already had - inadequate tyre strength.

There were multiple and regular tyre failures with the Concorde - 57 events in total, and 7 of those, involved fuel tank puncture - it was a recognised problem.

Michelin had set to after this crash, and designed a stronger tyre for the Concorde, the Michelin NZG - but it was all too late, and the terrorist attacks of 9/11 finally sealed the Concordes fate.

Still think this machine was man’s best flying creation👍 Together with the B747 (both flew about the same time, within weeks of each other) the flying world changed forever👍 Parked next to one in Syd once, my jet looked like it was just born by the mothership🙁

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

The Concord was a product of genious engineering out of the 60s that has yet to be surpassed. It is such a shame that its flying days ended the way they did.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

But, have you ever been inside one? It makes a Jab feel spacious. 

Disclaimer: the one I’ve been in was not in a flying state. Still, in my dreams… 😍

• Haha 1
  • Informative 1

The only aircraft ever to be able to keep up with the Concorde, catch it up and overtake it was the English Electric Lightning. The same lightning proved to the Americans that their U2 spyplane was easily caught.

• Informative 2

11 hours ago, planedriver said:

I only ever did a one way trip back in the days when I did work with BA, but it did make me feel special, and that you were flying with the elites.

Wot a snob!

Me too, when I used to work for BA at Heathrow. One-way to New York, arriving 2 hours before we took off, and then helicopter transfer to Manhattan. Unforgettable! 

As noted, small interior, but as my wife and I are not big people it was not a problem for us.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kgwilson said:

The only aircraft ever to be able to keep up with the Concorde, catch it up and overtake it was the English Electric Lightning. The same lightning proved to the Americans that their U2 spyplane was easily caught.

I think you forgot about the SR71a. U2 wasn't meant to be fast.

I learnt an interesting thing today - in 1964, Qantas took out 4 purchase options on the Concorde aircraft - which was still in the design and construction phase at that time, of course (it didn't fly until 2nd March 1969).

At the same time, Qantas put down $600K for 6 options on the Boeing equivalent, the SST. But the Boeing SST project was cancelled - and Qantas would not proceed with the Concorde purchase, thanks to concerns about sonic boom impacts over land, the range of the aircraft, and the cost of the seating. The Qantas options were finally canned by Qantas in 1973 - despite the manufacturers aggressive attempts to turn the options into firm orders.

https://simpleflying.com/qantas-concorde-order/

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thruster88 said:

I think you forgot about the SR71a. U2 wasn't meant to be fast.

The U2 was pretty slow but it was supposed to be able to avoid being intercepted due to the altitude it flew at. The Lightning was able to intercept it by climbing straight up at over Mach 1. The SR71 could have caught the Concorde but it wasn't part of NATO's arsenal.

What about the mig 25 or 31,

it has the speed, and the altitude to out run and out climb the Concorde

the Lightning was just the only fighter with the opportunity to intercept one...
Though a Tornado was the one to take this picture - apparently they throttled the Concorde back to get the shot though

Here's the only picture of Concorde flying at supersonic speed - The  Aviation Geek Club

(quick google shows the F15 specs as being possible to intercept at altitude too)

Edited by spenaroo
  • Like 2
  • Informative 1

Yes there were a number of aircraft that could have caught the Concorde but when the deal was done it was only NATO Interceptors that were invited. F104s, F14s, F15s, F16s & Mirages, could not catch the Concorde. The MIGs would have run out of fuel before they even got to the European Atlantic coast.

the information I was reading, is that they couldn't pass the Concorde from the rear.
and the lightning was hotted up just for the exercise.

Edited by spenaroo

Looks like I misunderstood, read those same comments from a different article.

Seems like it was just his personal favourite. I originally interpreted it as having been something more special then a regular lightning. (Which I why I put those bits that lead me down that path in bold)

"The Lightning was an exceptional aircraft in every respect, but XR749 was one of the best of the best. It is probably the best aircraft that I will ever have had the privilege to fly. Because of her tail code BM, she was known as 'Big Mother', although the tail code changed to BO for her last few months on 11 before joining the LTF in January 1985. She was a very hot ship, even for a Lightning. She remained my aircraft for all her time on 11 Sqn despite my being entitled to an F6 as I moved up the squadron pecking order. I invariably asked for her to be allocated to me for the major exercises such as MALLET BLOW, OSEX, and ELDER FOREST despite her being a short range F3 - there were invariably plenty of tankers about!"

"Mike and his team spent the night before in the hangar polishing XR749 which he borrowed from the LTF for the occasion"

Edited by spenaroo