Licence info help.

I have hardly flown since Covid started........ only a few hours.

If I wanted to get back into an aircraft I would need a couple of hours refresh with an instructor even though I'm still current with all requirements.

I have made the decision to take a break from flying for the following reasons:

To hire an aircraft I have to pay membership of my local flying club.

Hire rates have increased making it a very expensive past time.

I now require an ASSICS card to use the airport ( Bendigo )

The airport has gone from a small country airport to having  regular Quantas link flights and all the BS that goes with it.

They now charge landing fees and so do most of the nearby airports that I used to fly to (Echuca, Kyneton, Shepperton.........etc.

I have found other interests during Covid that are far cheaper and less hassle.

I still want to retain my RAA Pilot Certificate so I could return to flying if I change my mind in the future.

What I need to know is can I keep my licence without a required BFR, and if so how long do I have before my licence would be canceled.

thanks in advance Butch. 

11 minutes ago, 440032 said:

Kyneton does not charge landing fees Butch, and will have an RAAus Tecnam for training running very soon!

Thanks, 

Sorry, I thought Kyneton was in the process of introducing fees.

Before Covid I was going to come over and do my RPL in your Cessna as you were recommended by a friend. (bloody Covid !)

Cheer's.  

On 23/06/2022 at 5:25 PM, Butch said:

I have hardly flown since Covid started........ only a few hours.

If I wanted to get back into an aircraft I would need a couple of hours refresh with an instructor even though I'm still current with all requirements.

I have made the decision to take a break from flying for the following reasons:

To hire an aircraft I have to pay membership of my local flying club.

Hire rates have increased making it a very expensive past time.

I now require an ASSICS card to use the airport ( Bendigo )

The airport has gone from a small country airport to having  regular Quantas link flights and all the BS that goes with it.

They now charge landing fees and so do most of the nearby airports that I used to fly to (Echuca, Kyneton, Shepperton.........etc.

I have found other interests during Covid that are far cheaper and less hassle.

I still want to retain my RAA Pilot Certificate so I could return to flying if I change my mind in the future.

What I need to know is can I keep my licence without a required BFR, and if so how long do I have before my licence would be canceled.

thanks in advance Butch. 

A friend of mine was in a similar situation with a lapsed BFR.

He changed his RAA membership to a NON FLYING member and was able to keep his Pilot Cert.

Call RAA to confirm your situation, I am sure they want to keep you on their books.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Thanks Roscoe,

I will probably do as you suggested.  My concern is whether I will be able to return to flying with only a renewed full membership and a BFR ( with a few lessons to get back my skills )

I'll give RAA a call and sort it out,

cheer's. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Roscoe said:

Cheaper rate and continue to receive the news items etc

My friend sold his aircraft and intended to resume flying when he acquired another so reverted to non flying status

• Informative 1

Once you have the Certificate you have it indefinitely unless medically unfit. You need to be a Member to fly if Membership is expired you can rejoin the Association. BFR required as normal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ando said:

Once you have the Certificate you have it indefinitely unless medically unfit. You need to be a Member to fly if Membership is expired you can rejoin the Association. BFR required as normal. 

That makes sense............If you are not up to standard you wouldn't pass a BFR.

I think I'll just go with a non flying membership. Maybe when a few more aircraft come on the market at a reasonable price I might consider buying. There were so many aircraft for sale to choose from before Covid , I don't know where they all went ! 

thanks for the info Ando   👍

• Like 1
  • Agree 1