Mountain Flying & Queenstown New Zealand

I had the opportunity to spend last week in Queenstown New Zealand skiing, and noticed a small flying school about half an hour south.

It's run by a lovely lady Kerry at https://www.ace-aviation.co.nz/

I booked a mountain flying lesson in her tailwheel Piper Pacer, with my wife and daughter as passengers.  Unfortunately the conditions were not suitable, with too much crosswind for the very narrow strip, but she gave me some free time with a ground briefing, and this helpful booklet to read https://www.aviation.govt.nz/assets/publications/gaps/caa-gap-mountain-flying-may-2021-web.pdf

Hopefully next time I go I will get the chance to do a few hours of training - might be helpful for Mt Beauty, Hotham, Jindabyne etc.

I thought I would post here a) to give Kerry some thanks, and b) to see whether any of you have tips in flying in Australian Alps areas.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

"with my wife and daughter as passengers?" !

really ? four people in a pacer in the mountains at high DA,  on a training exercises is not something I would do.  

At least on the POH numbers even on the 160hp...

But good to have the link and I shall look her up if in the area.

1 minute ago, RFguy said:

"with my wife and daughter as passengers?" !

really ? four people in a pacer in the mountains at high DA,  on a training exercises is not something I would do.  

At least on the POH numbers even on the 160hp...

But good to have the link and I shall look her up if in the area.

Both wife and daughter are lightweights - and we were probably going to make seperate flights with only one in the back - I certainly didn't want to  discourage either of their enthusiasm for flying.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Update:

I reached out to Kerry for some mountain flying training on my forthcoming NZ trip.. 

"Early August 2022 we had severe winds which caused the hangar to collapse destroying the aircraft inside it. The hangar has not been re-built and I am hiring a Maule aircraft, which is based in Alexandra"

So it's great she is still in business, albeit with less availability.  The website is parked, but her email is relatively easy to find online (if you can't find it - message me).

0?ui=2&ik=ef8935f55a&attid=0.1&permmsgid=msg-f:1765769417675571291&th=188145ee0fcd005b&view=fimg&fur=ip&sz=s0-l75-ft&attbid=ANGjdJ9D3Afwz-rXK1v3XNqIAGsKodeyD2dzUI8Wk7UNxB5eoyEAjRDa94XkBYl21Is5Cn3goPgnVeTuaNI7yptsW_O1O9YPx6dONyRnZxVq2sG8OEFRJ6zT40gJG6c&disp=emb&realattid=188145e8aadff728a221

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1