Happy 30th for MAFA

Guest ozzie

Guest ozzie

For those who have been involved for some time may remember the Minimum Aircraft Flyers Association. It was one of the original groups formed to cater for owners and enthuthists of the forerunners of ultralights. later when a national body was formed the membership was rolled over into the newly created AUF. MAFA was founded at Bankstown Airport on the 20th April 1978, happy birthday.

Ozzie

Guest Decca

Ozzie I've not been involved long but I find this history interesting. Were you one of the founding members?

If yes OR no, Let's know the types that were flying then, especially the skin & bones, basic, home built ones.

Thanks, Decca.

Guest ozzie

Hi Decca. no i was not a founding member, i was flying and working for 'ultralight aviation' at the time. simple fact was that i was not making enough money to pay for the membership until we started selling our first production model, the StolAero.

By the time i joined my member number was 123. As soon as i joined i became the editor of the newsletter "Contact" I held this position for about 5 years.

Scouts ruled the skies with Steve Cohen's Stolaero/ Condor, Col Winton's Grasshopper, begining production around this time. quite a few designs were about to hit the scene as well. Cab Wasp, the Cignet, Cricket/Jackeroo. several plans built Wing Dings were being constructed. There were countless home built one offs being constructed . This is what the original ANO 95:10 was introduced for. So the average joe could tinker away at a simple design without the ristrictions of traditional homebuilt aircraft rules.

I have just about fininshed scanning copies of the Contact news letter and will PDF them for future reference. i am getting to the last copies that include minutes of the Mangalore meeting that started the ground work for setting up the AUF. How close did this go to becoming an arm of the SAAA. close, real close.

Ozzie

Guest Decca

Thanks so much Ozzie. Must have been great beginning at "ground floor", seeing pretty much the very beginnings of what we have today & being able to relate this history of the movement. With a museum of early types being set up, pictorially illustrated a few RAAus mags ago, is also good news.

Must admit I am partial to the Thruster/Drifter types, maybe time will allow me to have a go at them, or even one day have one I can call my own. Am impressed by your Lazair- how do you get away with 2 engines? Add the 2 horsepowers together & call them one?

Sorry if I've dragged us off topic here, but anyway, looking forward to the old newsletters, maybe some photos?

Thanks again Ozzie, Decca.

I have just about fininshed scanning copies of the Contact news letter and will PDF them for future reference. i am getting to the last copies that include minutes of the Mangalore meeting that started the ground work for setting up the AUF. How close did this go to becoming an arm of the SAAA. close, real close.Ozzie

hi ozzie, how do we go about getting copies of your pdf docs

Guest ozzie

Hi Guys.

It is going to take some time before the pdfs are made. i just do a bit as spare time allows. it will probably go up on yahoo groups 'classic ultralights' that has been a bit of a clearing house for photos ect.

How do i get away with two engines.? i suppose you are referring to the regs? Easy. We were here first! it is low hp but responds like a twin fun flying dirt cheap, has it's limitations tho.

I'll post later in the week when i get back, with a reply to a couple of questions that were pm'd

ozzie