RPC flight test checkride - what does it involve?

When I was preparing for my RPC flight test, my CFI went up with me to run through all the things that we’d be doing in the test the following week. When we landed, he said “congratulations, you passed”, and we went and did the paperwork. A test is so much less pressured when you don’t know that it is a test. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kgwilson said:

A new student pilot will not get the PAX endorsement with the issue of the RPC. That usually requires 10 hours of solo after attaining the pilot certificate.

This isn't quite true. I got my initial RPC and pax endorsement at the same time. I don't recall the exact requirements, I think I delayed the RPC test while I did an extra 5 PIC hours or something similar. We were encouraged to do it this way to avoid doing an extra flight test. 

I got mine all at once but it was ga to raa so all the relevant endorsements got added once I did the test and submitted the paperwork.

Does the raa not have a similar doc to the part 61 mos for rpl tests? Also would the instructor not brief this before hand or as part of the pre test check flight?

In a normal  flying training programme, full coverage is done as your training progresses and  THE test is more of a formality than anything  surprising. I always suffered from a bit of "checkitis" which I never fully eliminated. Matt  I don't like the IDEA of knowing what the format will be in detail of any check and I've often said "don't need to know that. In the real situation I,ll get NO  WARNING".  This is more applicable in dealing with emergencies. From an Instructors point of view it doesn't take long to realise a student isn't doing that well so the best thing for them would be to cut it short and do a review  of where you're at, as wasting money is not the aim of any good school.  Nor is  passing an underperforming student. THAT wouldn't be in anyone's interest.   I've been financially exploited on a check when I first moved to another school. A long cross country  one where I'd logged plenty of recent flights of that nature. But they controlled the manner in which they let out their Planes. Nev

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

Milking students by unscrupulous instructors was a problem a few years ago which hopefully is no longer a major issue as those FTFs have been called out. I knew of a couple whose conduct was disgraceful, luckily now no longer training students. 

16 hours ago, facthunter said:

In a normal  flying training programme, full coverage is done as your training progresses and  THE test is more of a formality than anything  surprising. I always suffered from a bit of "checkitis" which I never fully eliminated. Matt  I don't like the IDEA of knowing what the format will be in detail of any check and I've often said "don't need to know that. In the real situation I,ll get NO  WARNING".  This is more applicable in dealing with emergencies. From an Instructors point of view it doesn't take long to realise a student isn't doing that well so the best thing for them would be to cut it short and do a review  of where you're at, as wasting money is not the aim of any good school.  Nor is  passing an underperforming student. THAT wouldn't be in anyone's interest.   I've been financially exploited on a check when I first moved to another school. A long cross country  one where I'd logged plenty of recent flights of that nature. But they controlled the manner in which they let out their Planes. Nev

I wasn't suggesting that the student be given the exact format, but there is really only so much surprise you can build in. My point was that the test shouldn't be a mystery or stressful because you're  asked to do things you don't know. The idea is to demonstrate competence in the basics that are required for issue of the certificate. From there you go and learn on your own. 

If you're not aware of the areas you need to be competent in and the demonstrated standard for those manoeuvres I can't see why or how you could be ready for a test as you wouldn't know what you're being tested on. 

With the access to planes thing, sometimes that's more insurance than the school taking you for a ride. It's  not unusual to see 90 day checks required before hiring even if you have time in type. What will set the reputable places out from the others is common sense approach to the check where if you demonstrate a level of control / competency the check shouldn't take much at all. No need to have you do 90mins of manoeuvres when the instructor checking will have worked out your ability within the first 5 mins.

It's unfortunate that there's people out there looking to take advantage l, but also re enforces that the lowest hourly rate isn't always the best deal and that it pays to shop around. 

What annoys me is that nobody tells you this and those people walking in off the street wanting to learn how to fly get ripped off and end up lost to aviation.

That being said, there also are people out there who can't seem to get the hang of things/ don't take instruction or don't prep and then complain the school didn't do the right thing by them. Sometimes it's also just the instructor doesn't gel with the student. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I do believe there's a bit of dumbing down in RAAus. If you research well  above what's usually taught you may actually be worse off when  tested. Stay pretty much on the set syllabus and be solid on that. IF  you understand WHY it's easier than just ROTE learning. I suppose some of the WHY  has to come later... You can't learn it all  for say $12,000. or some such figure.  The result is something of a minimum SAFE???  outcome.. for where you are at.  Nev

• Like 1

Well, I think I got ripped off first time around…….I did 18 hours training with my first flight school and never got to do a take off even 😞  I was beginning to think I was a crap student.  But then another student did something like 35 hours to get her RPC at the same place.  Current flying school was a 2 hour training assessment tha i passed fine, after nearly 3 years no lessons COVID plus a hire pilot binned the original flying  school plane (5 months to get repaired)  I lost 6 hours of lesson costs in credit etc, so never went back.

Current CFI asks have I ever done takeoffs and landings……no, none of that.  So we did a take off together, then next one I did…….worked out fine. Did my circuits OK until I hit a willy willy and shook things up a bit.  Landings are next up in a week or 2 and he says I should be good to go after another 4 hours, and hopefully do solo time. Not banking on that but I am getting closer to the end goal 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

That mob in Coffs really took you for a ride Jack. Even my first training flight (effect of controls) I did my own takeoff with the Instructor talking me through it with his fingers following the yoke travel. I imagine that for some students the instructor would have to assert control. How do you learn if they won't allow you to perform the task at hand?

The Instructor should not be doing much of the actual flying and you should be prepared for each lesson and briefed as well other wise you're wasting money. The instructor is there to correct IF you get out of shape usually not taking over but just brief correctional advice. Talking too much in the air is conducive to overload and poor understanding. The air experience should consolidate what you have prepared for adequately.  Nev

• Like 1

I guess the end was near when he teed up a beat up run on his mates house in North Coffs, so his mate had a photo op from his lawn. The relationship went backwards from there 😞.  Well, I wrote off my 6 hours money in lesson credits that he ripped off me. Not to mention my logbooks he did not send to my new flying school. 

I still chuckle on one lesson near the end, he says ‘your aircraft’  so I promptly head out to sea 🙂. He says, ‘where do you think you’re going? ‘.  I say ‘New Zealand’  Please book inflight refuelling in 5  hours time!   He says ‘what about food and beverages?’

I say ‘none’ then silence fir a few seconds then I say ‘ think yourself lucky you are not sitting on a 20 litre drum riding with my airline’.  I guess I did not endear my self to him.   He seemed a nice guy otherwise, but I have learnt a lot since those days.  I guess I had to start somewhere………

8 hours ago, spacesailor said:

ME

I can,t even get the motivation to go to an airshow. and I do miss it . ( soaring like an eagle ).

spacesailor

That’s a good observation. The Covid lockdowns and isolation have killed motivation for many of us. It started my YouTube habit, and now I struggle to go out into the workshop. But I am determined to get to Avalon next year.

• Like 1