Loss of thrust, electric aircraft.

most ice cars have had just one serpentine belt to drive everything for the last 20 years or more. its nothing to get one hundred thousand km out of them.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, BrendAn said:

most ice cars have had just one serpentine belt to drive everything for the last 20 years or more. its nothing to get one hundred thousand km out of them.

They now use them for more things hence more pulleys. In the case I mentioned I was replacing a 230,000 km belt, but the ones I've shredded in the past were due to things like bearing failures. 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

8 hours ago, facthunter said:

I think you'll find dropping things from a plane is not permitted. That's fairly understandable as much as you'd see your own situation as dire, and needing something to be done, someone has to write the rules and I'd say there'd be some opposition to dropping fiery  batteries from the sky and the fix might not be what you wanted.  Nev

Well, aircraft dump many thousands of litres of fuel from the sky……not hard to make an immediate decision to quickly set a course to battery dumping in an unpopulated area. Fire proof battery containment will only last a short time, enough to hopefully save pilot/PAX AND aircraft, they then need to deal with an off airport landing. 

1 hour ago, turboplanner said:

They now use them for more things hence more pulleys. In the case I mentioned I was replacing a 230,000 km belt, but the ones I've shredded in the past were due to things like bearing failures. 

yes, one belt usually outlasts 2  idler pulleys.

• Informative 1

1 hour ago, jackc said:

Well, aircraft dump many thousands of litres of fuel from the sky……not hard to make an immediate decision to quickly set a course to battery dumping in an unpopulated area. Fire proof battery containment will only last a short time, enough to hopefully save pilot/PAX AND aircraft, they then need to deal with an off airport landing. 

the only problem i can see there is where can u  drop a burning battery in australia when the country is tinder dry like this time of the year. 

Edited by BrendAn
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

I think the lithium battery thermal runaway problem has been overdone. The only ones that have caused trouble are the cheap POS ones, as RFGuy says - and the largest percentage of those fires have been caused by overcharging, using the wrong charger - or some kind of penetrative damage to the battery, causing a major short circuit.

Phones being crushed in seat mechanisms is typical - you aren't allowed to move your seat to recover a lost phone on a commercial flight, in case you crush it.

I find it interesting that pilots are concerned about lithium batteries used for motive power, catching fire in electric aircraft - yet they'll take a mobile phone or tablet onboard, which is a consumer device that has been built with no consideration of any fire it could create on an aircraft.

Edited by onetrack
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BrendAn said:

the only problem i can see there is where can u  drop a burning battery in australia when the country is tinder dry like this time of the year. 

You crash ANY plane anywhere, and you have a big chance of fire, difference in jettisoning the battery means a better chance of saving human life……but then again, not many people care about that, these days. Gee they dont even want to do crash investigation IF they can get out of it 😞  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jackc said:

If you're on fire, the WHOLE aircraft is going to drop with you in it without any control of the location so the idea is still sound, because you're going top be calling a Mayday.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

8 hours ago, jackc said:

You crash ANY plane anywhere, and you have a big chance of fire, difference in jettisoning the battery means a better chance of saving human life……but then again, not many people care about that, these days. Gee they dont even want to do crash investigation IF they can get out of it 😞  

Good point

3 hours ago, RFguy said:

geez you lot.... doom... gloom

battery wont catch fire if installed and operated correctly. 

My doctor told me once in a candid moment that he often told people who were slack in taking their medications to do what the prescription says or they would die. Interesting in the parallels of non compliance in recreational flying I asked  what happened when they didn't. "They die" he said and went on with what he'd been doing. I've always been very particular since then.

You're a bit broad with your battery advice. That may be true in some cases, but apart from the fact that usually no one tells you how to install them or how to operate them successfully.

I bought a $450 phone last week which came with no instructions and no charger - good example.

Have a google about the battery sizes and issues with cars and you'll get a good idea of what you might get with an aircraft pack and why just the removal and installation cost is so high, and that's before checking that the battery installation is correct for type and fitting, and before delivering full operating instructions.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

' car battery type & fit ! ' .

I,ve just got caught with a battery ' terminal post ' being on the opposite side to the one required. 

That ' bargain ' battery, was not such a bargain after-all .  (  watchout for the ' L ' in the specifications  ) .

spacesailor

• Informative 1

My Aldi sourced solar torch ( Uniden power pack SPB80  ) has '' overcharged it-self & expanded the battery pack .

I will have to see if it's under their warranty !. I wonder if it would burst into flame , if not removed from the light source .

spacesailor

• Informative 1