Bankstown accident 17/03/2023

I can't see many people retrofitting BRS systems due to the ridiculous cost, difficulty in installation in an airframe not designed for them and the low risk factor of it ever having to be used. I built my aircraft and I know how strong it is so the likelihood of having a structural failure especially with ensuring all preventative maintenance and servicing is done by the book is very low. This would be the only reason to deploy a BRS as far as I am concerned. Even over Tiger country I'd far rather take my chances with a forced landing wherever it may be. I have landed in a tree before but then I was flying a Hang Glider.

• Agree 2

35 minutes ago, kgwilson said:

I can't see many people retrofitting BRS systems due to the ridiculous cost, difficulty in installation in an airframe not designed for them and the low risk factor of it ever having to be used. I built my aircraft and I know how strong it is so the likelihood of having a structural failure especially with ensuring all preventative maintenance and servicing is done by the book is very low. This would be the only reason to deploy a BRS as far as I am concerned. Even over Tiger country I'd far rather take my chances with a forced landing wherever it may be. I have landed in a tree before but then I was flying a Hang Glider.

You can't fit to a factory build anyway unless it was an option I would imagine

1 hour ago, coljones said:

Ah, the good old "company" canard again.  I'm surprised you haven't resigned from the human race - being a company of a type.

I have being given a diagnosis by my Doctor. Now suffering Terminal Hermititis 🙂 

Which will get gradually worse.  It is a desired disease for some Aviators that are sick of all the bullsh1t regulations that seems to contaminate modern Aviation 🙂 

Ah, the good old "company" canard again.  I'm surprised you haven't resigned from the human race - being a company of a type.

I have being given a diagnosis by my Doctor. Now suffering Terminal Hermititis 🙂 

Which will get gradually worse.  It is a desired disease for some Aviators that are sick of all the bullsh1t regulations that seems to contaminate modern Aviation 🙂 

No one's stopping you fitting one and no one should mandate one either. Does that sound reasonable? Looking back to 1959 when I started flying there would not have been one occasion that I would have used one. I know of a couple of accidents one MAY have helped which were fatalities but plenty of deaths where it wouldn't have... At what weight do we consider them unnecessary? I'd rather build a stronger airframe . Nev

1 minute ago, facthunter said:

Not always easy to get out. Have a quickly jettisonable door. Piano wire.   Nev

Sadly, no STC for that.  Can just image what Jabiru would say 🙂 

6 minutes ago, jackc said:

Nasty stutter you’ve got there Jack.

My Brother in Law was suffering family distress and said he was thinking of becoming a recluse. 
I replied, “can I come too?”

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, jackc said:

Sadly, no STC for that.  Can just image what Jabiru would say 🙂 

i think it has been proven that the safest place to be in a crash is in a jabiru.

Just now, facthunter said:

Quite a few planes have them . Doors come off for Para drops.  Nev

just fit an ejection seat and wear a pointy hardhat

19 minutes ago, jackc said:

your doctor was busy, he gave you 6 diagnosis

• Haha 1