The Latest Outstanding Communication from RA-Aus

1 hour ago, Flying_higher said:

The medical requirements do not change for Group G. They remain totally the same. RAA has said that on numerous occasions. 

For more myth busting see here. https://www.raa.asn.au/calendar-of-events/mtow/

I agree, what I am saying is that perhaps the medical standard proposed changes for GA may be the hold up for RAA gettin 'G' approval as the 600 to 760kg aircraft that would be then in both GA and RAA would present a difference for the pilots regarding medical standard (would set a new precedent I reckon they don't want or need).

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

There's a wondeful advantage in being a "legal" aborigine....   all your legal bills are paid for. In Alice Springs, years ago, I was told that the cops were uninterested in crimes where indigenous were involved. The reason being is that the abos had hot n cold running lawyers at their beck and call.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, turboplanner said:
47 minutes ago, facthunter said:

Instructing from the ground is a term I've never heard. I think it's referring to instructor authorised  solo for specific students.  Nev

The comments refer to the Instructor sitting in a deck chair on the ground with a radio and telling the student how to fly.

That'd go down  well. Atc do it in emergencies. but I've never seen or heard reference to it and I didn't come down in yesterdays shower.  If the student doesn't know how to fly why would he/she be solo at all?   Nev

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, facthunter said:

That'd go down  well. Atc do it in emergencies. but I've never seen or heard reference to it and I didn't come down in yesterdays shower.  If the student doesn't know how to fly why would he/she be solo at all?   Nev

very good question.

3 minutes ago, kgwilson said:

As far as I know it only happens for single seat BFRs.

Yep, I’ve been offered those; easy to do a BFR in my familiar little one-seater, but I’ll learn more in a new aeroplane with a new instructor each time.

• Like 1

But you're already trained in a suitable 2 seater before you solo in a single seater. In the old days if you got there you must be able to fly OK.. I think now a days a bit more might be required/justified. Nev

2 hours ago, facthunter said:

99% of the talking should  be on the ground.  You should be prepared from the book and pre briefed thoroughly before flight. If that's not happening go elsewhere.  Nev

What was being talked about had nothing to do with briefing; it was student in the aircraft, instructor on the ground. Not a good look.

• Like 1

The pupil should KNOW all about what he/she is doing BEFORE they get airborne. Doing it over the radio would be doubly troubling. It would be distracting and what frequency would you use 1234 in any case what about listening out for other traffic.  It's not workable.  The briefing is an essential part of the learning process as is the debriefing at the end. To do either in the plane  is more dangerous less effective and a waste of money. Nev

• Like 2

"...stick back, aircraft up. Stick forward, aircraft down, your nose is up a little too high, turn, TURN, TURN!!!

I have enough trouble with a remote control in my hand.

Edited by turboplanner
  • Like 1

All solo hours prior to certification are done under the direct supervision of the instructor who is required to be airside and contactable via radio. This includes solo circuits and training area flights. Most often there is no need for direct communication between student and instructor. Same applies for single seat BFRs.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1
  • Winner 1

There is no way to do a thorough review without the Testing pilot being in the plane physically. Generally it is recommended you do it in the plane you are most familiar with but that's hardly ever been the case with ME as it was rarely convenient but flexibility comes with more experience of different aircraft. It's the person being tested who has to provide the "SUITABLE" plane to do the test in. The normal student will not be aware of that as it's all done at the school but an owner IS subject to this rule.   Nev

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Lucky01 said:

760kg's still a pipedream? 

I thought with the articles they run they were close.

Mosaic will set the groundwork....

I have not received the latest email. Link?

Mosaic (USA) will just be a distraction locally (Australia)  from the question, can you fly a Cessna 152 with out a medical.  

well, an RPL and class 2 BASIC medical is a pretty easy conversion. 

This leaves the issue for aircraft that can fly at 700kg (J230) but are placarded to 600kg.

and.. what are the pathways for uprating an existing factory LSA.  Can it be done by re writing the placard and turning it into a 24-experimental via an MARAP ? 

(I wouldnt recommend at J230 > 700kg because I think the mains are not up to the increased landing speed energy having seen two broken now on others landing downwind) 

• Informative 1