2019 Renmark crash; coat got caught on trim tab.

A good reminder why you should make sure there is nothing that can interefere with controls even what you are wearing.

Of course he was way too low with no chance of recovery if something went wrong as it did.

• Agree 1

I have a couple of good jackets that I like to wear; one is the ideal leather airman’s jacket, but I’d never wear it in my cramped cockpit with lots of things for it to catch on.

I religiously wear a wool jumper- warm, fire resistant and it will tear if it gets caught on something while I’m trying to clamber out of a wrecked aeroplane.

As one with enduring sceptical view of explanations given by people who have been instigators of crashes, one has to query how he can recall a fine detail such as catching threads of a jacket in a trim tab, led to the crash - but he has no memory of the crash itself? 

As I recall, he was reported as conducting a "beat-up" of the relatives farm house during the crash event, and the low flying at that point was totally unnecessary.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 2

An interesting story and it may help the film launch. The pilot in me is a bit sceptical, is the trim on a light two seat sportstar really that powerful it would cause you to lose control at um the exact location your nephew is filming.

• Agree 2

As a traffic accident investigator, I soon learned a tad about the physiology of memory formation in the brain. It is not instantaneous, taking a few minutes for all the neurological and chemical reactions to take place. to create the memory. Therefore, if trauma occurs, the process is aborted and no memory is made. Try as one might, you can't recall what is not there in your memory. So for a pilot to describe minutiae seconds before suffering trauma, makes me sceptical. 

I often wonder what our brains are doing when we are driving on a regular journey, say coming home from work, or on an hours' log run that we do often, and we can't remember passing landmarks, or we suddenly realise that we are further along the way than we thought. A mate of mine called it the TIBMIN situation - thumb in bum, mind in neutral.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha 1
  • Informative 2

I was driving and heard the interview with the pilot on the radio yesterday. When he said the trim pushed me nose first in to the ground (or words to that effect). I said out loud "absolute BS". He has made up a story to make it all seem plausible. There is no way in the world that the trim in a recreational aircraft is ever able to overpower a pilots input.

The original report is pretty right. Flying low to the ground doing a beat up of the film set & hit the power lines. It is that simple.

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

4 minutes ago, kgwilson said:

Flying low to the ground doing a beat up of the film set & hit the power lines. It is that simple.

The soundtrack of the film supports that. The engine noise recorded was way too loud for an aircraft on final for a landing, unless it was battling a cyclonic strength headwind. It indicates that the aircraft was low.

• Agree 1

On 18/04/2023 at 8:59 AM, onetrack said:

As one with enduring sceptical view of explanations given by people who have been instigators of crashes, one has to query how he can recall a fine detail such as catching threads of a jacket in a trim tab, led to the crash - but he has no memory of the crash itself? 

As I recall, he was reported as conducting a "beat-up" of the relatives farm house during the crash event, and the low flying at that point was totally unnecessary.

my last motorcycle accident, I cant remember the impact.
But I remember locking up the rear wheel and making the decision to leave it locked instead of letting go and re-applying the brakes.
I also remember seeing and knowing that I was going to impact with the trucks rear wheel hub.

• Informative 1

From the reports, he wasn't trying to land, he was departing.

"He was just about to fly home Saturday afternoon and he flew over the house just to say a final goodbye."

There doesn't seem to be a strip nearby that I could land our Sportstar on. Nearest aerodrome is 9km away.

But, he did take 2nd place (in the same AC) in the Light Sport Category at Aus STOL 2019, so who knows where he departed from.

• Informative 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/4/2023 at 8:56 AM, kgwilson said:

I was driving and heard the interview with the pilot on the radio yesterday. When he said the trim pushed me nose first in to the ground (or words to that effect). I said out loud "absolute BS". He has made up a story to make it all seem plausible. There is no way in the world that the trim in a recreational aircraft is ever able to overpower a pilots input.

The original report is pretty right. Flying low to the ground doing a beat up of the film set & hit the power lines. It is that simple.

Your on to it KG,

Just missed the bit where a wheel caught the tree which pulled it down to the powerlines.

What some will do to blame everything else but themselves,

Edited by alf jessup
  • Like 1