Omega engine

BrendAn

38 minutes ago, facthunter said:

SO, It's ONLY about MONEY, Brendan?   Because that is what you just said .Nev

No. I just replied to Danny's comment and I thought he was right. If someone invents something and gets offered good money for it why not profit from their hard work. Same as the farm example which has been happening around here.

Maybe I should have said constructive criticism instead of negativity. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, facthunter said:

I DO give reasons but you LABEL me negative and that makes my comment devalued or even cancelled.  Nev

You have made nearly 27000 posts on this site. If a couple get seen as negative it's nothing. I apologise for upsetting you. 

On 30/04/2023 at 6:12 PM, BrendAn said:

I have played with engines all my life too but I am open to new designs . One of them will succeed eventually.

I have a vf ss and have owned gt Falcons  among others. But my favourite exhaust note is by far a 2 stroke GM diesel. I fitted a 453 turbo in one of my boats and it sounded fantastic. All the old blokes would stop and listen to it .

Humans are intelligent and ingenious, all the possible internal combustion configurations have been thought of. The 4 stroke piston engine will not be dethroned by any other ic engine.

We had a GM 8v71 at the old farm, just because it was a cheap option to re power an old earth mover. Ultimately the market removed that engine from use in new equipment.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Thruster88 said:

Humans are intelligent and ingenious, all the possible internal combustion configurations have been thought of. The 4 stroke piston engine will not be dethroned by any other ic engine.

We had a GM 8v71 at the old farm, just because it was a cheap option to re power an old earth mover. Ultimately the market removed that engine from use in new equipment.  

It did go out of the truck market because its heyday was when standard petrol cost 30 cents a gallon, and started to get marginal when the 1979 fuel crisis hit, and the only way to control running costs was to burn less fuel, which the four strokes could be designed to do. Then, as the emission regulations tightened there was no way to make a two stroke engine comply so they stopped selling the Detroit 6v, 8v etc and produced a six cylinder fuel efficient and emission compliant four stroke.

The Detroit demise was followed by the demis of Caterpillar truck engines which used the ACERT process which was a blind alley for complying with emissions; as tighter emissions came in it simply couldn't meet them so Caterpillar went out of the truck engine business.

In recent months the industry has been making a lot of noise about H2 (hydrogen powered) engines.

We've yet to see the fine print on infrastructure, fuel handling and safety.

The 2 stroke GM or Detroit Diesels are far from dead. The U.S. military still has over 30,000 of them, powering large amounts of their equipment. There's still 250,000 Detroit Diesels in operation.

The MTU company still makes new components for them, and you can even buy new V8 and V6 Detroit Diesels, you just can't use them in on-road equipment.

https://www.mtu-solutions.com/au/en/stories/company/history-detroit-diesel-2-cycle-engines/keeping-a-good-thing-going.html

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, onetrack said:

The 2 stroke GM or Detroit Diesels are far from dead. The U.S. military still has over 30,000 of them, powering large amounts of their equipment. There's still 250,000 Detroit Diesels in operation.

The MTU company still makes new components for them, and you can even buy new V8 and V6 Detroit Diesels, you just can't use them in on-road equipment.

https://www.mtu-solutions.com/au/en/stories/company/history-detroit-diesel-2-cycle-engines/keeping-a-good-thing-going.html

i read that a while back. there are so many gm powered military machines that they kept producing them.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Thruster88 said:

i have driven an 892 powered roadtrain one harvest.  445hp and no torque. i loved it even though it crawled up the hills. i am not saying they are any good, just that i like them.

• Agree 1
  • Informative 1

5 hours ago, facthunter said:

I DO give reasons but you LABEL me negative and that makes my comment devalued or even cancelled.  Nev

once again i apologise. it was not my intention to upset you. i got a bit cranky when i felt i was being attacked for putting up that post.   there was a well known member sending me pms advising me of how stupid i am until i told him where to go. so i get a bit defensive. i already know how stupid i am without being told .

Edited by BrendAn

They all have their faults and short comings. It doesn't pay to fall in love with any of them but if you understand their foibles you can get a better run out of most of them.  Wearing parts need the two metals to be right for each other.  Nev

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BrendAn said:

i have driven an 892 powered roadtrain one harvest.  445hp and no torque. i loved it even though it crawled up the hills. i am not saying they are any good, just that i like them.

That would have been a 8v92T, the T means it was turbocharged into the gear driven super charger. Interestingly the tsi has returned 20-30 years later in some VW and other small capacity, 1.4l engines. There is nothing new.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

Just now, Thruster88 said:

That would have been a 8v92T, the T means it was turbocharged into the gear driven super charger. Interestingly the tsi has returned 20-30 years later in some VW and other small capacity, 1.4l engines. There is nothing new.

in the marine version you can get a 892tta. turbo aftercooled, 700hp 1000hrs tbo.

also worked on a gold mine with a fleet of gm powered dump trucks. they were v16149.  16 cylinder ,149 ci per cylinder. 1500hp . the supercharger is actually a scavenger blower to flush the spent exhaust gases out, it takes hp . v16149 used 40 hp to drive the blower.

• Informative 1