Site Review

Admin

Hi All

As I currently have some time up my sleeve I would like to hear from anyone about how I can improve/fix/enhance etc, the site for everyone.

Please let me know your thoughts, I very appreciate all the good AND BAD comments that you may have...thanks for your help

• Like 1

Ian, I'd like to say thank you for providing this excellent site.  The amount of help I've had with my build from being on here, not to mention the great discussions over on Social Australia - it's just brilliant.

As far as improvements, I can't think of any.  It works really well, in fact I often wonder why other sites aren't as intuitive as this.

Thanks again.  

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

Just a little enhancement for First Class users

Now, when you insert a link, a brief view of the link source will be displayed making it look much better. For example when you add a link to Air Services, the link text automatically changes to:

WWW.AIRSERVICESAUSTRALIA.COM

Connecting people with their world safely We provide safe, secure, efficient and environmentally responsible services to the aviation...

The reason why it is just for First Class Members is to stop just anyone registering and promoting their web site through the site

Hope you find this more appealing in your posts

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

And I thank you, too. Friends have been made and help has been given. What a better compliment for someone's work?

Thanks to for giving me such a free rein when I've been working on The Event. We could not have spread the word so far without your tolerance. I just wish that you could get some advertising material for these sites. I wish you could be there. Toora is not far from Narromine, and I know you've been there.

• Like 1

I wonder why people don't come here??? What may put them off??? What doesn't the site have that they may be looking for???

The biggest single reason why a website is found quickly, is when Google Search starts supporting it. If you don't get that support from Google, you might as well be under a rock.

20 hours ago, turboplanner said:

An index to subjects?

Numbered posts for reference?

An index to subjects - I would assume that is what the Search function is for, you enter the subject and search for it. You can even streamline your search to just headings, everything, different sections etc

Numbered posts for reference - There is no guarantee that a post number within a thread stays that number so if you reference say Post #82, after deletions (moderation etc) that post may become #75 so it is not an actual reference any more.

There are several options for referencing specific posts:

1. Post in same thread - use the Quote button in the post

2. Post in another thread use the Permalink function i.e.

- Right click the date/time of the post and select "Copy Link"

- Paste the link in your post and you get:

3. I can get an addon that provides a Bookmark system that allows you to Bookmark any post/item on the site and puts it in a bookmark list for yourself, you can even set-up different Bookmark Categories, make them public for other users to see your Bookmarks or make them private. The addon costs $30USD and then $15USD every 6 months. I wonder how much use it would get i.e. cost/benefit. If a First Class member wanted it I would probably spend the money.

INVISIONCOMMUNITY.COM

Bookmarks is an easy and convenient way to save and bookmark content that you want to find later: Want to save a long topic for later...

• Like 1

I have added the post "Likes" system to Private Messages which I hope will help you to convey a Like to a Private Message you receive

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, red750 said:

What's with all the Community Map Markers, did they all have to be reloaded?

Yep, sorry about that, I thought I excluded them from showing. They should all be not showing now in the What's New section

Ian this site’s search function could be improved. The engine threads are a great resource, but it sure isn’t easy to look up a previous discussion. I type in a phrase that definitely appears there, but it comes up empty.

Old K - If you use Google Search, prefacing your search with "Recreational Flying:", and then the search term, you will always get a better search result than any site search feature - because Google's algorithms beat everything else, hands down.

• Informative 1

Hi all, you may have noticed, except for those that go straight to the "What's New" page, we now have a dedicated Home Page for the site. The Home Page contains snippets on what are the latest in the site and random entries of others like the Gallery for example. Have a look by simply clicking the site Logo in the top header and you will see what visitors will see when the simply go to recreationalflying.com

Interested to hear any comments you may have...and thanks for your continued support of the site in this the site's 20th year of providing all recreational aviators, and that includes GA, a resource to come together, learn and help each other.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I am looking at merging the Off Topic site SocialAustralia.com.au with this one as 99% of the users on Social Australia are also members here. To do this I am looking at having separate What's New streams, one stream as it is now and one stream for all the latest content in the Off Topic forums and certain off topic categories in the Gallery, Videos etc.

Please let me know your thoughts on this...and thanks

• Informative 1

Ian, you haven't put up any reason/s for the change, is it to save $$'s, or to make administration of the sites easier for you? I'm not concerned either way, but there could be a lot more overlap and confusion in discussions if the sites are merged.

• Informative 1

If you are going to merge the two, I reckon you ought to put it in its own forum called "The Old Farts Corner". We use it just like that corner in the pub or club where a particular group of blokes gather and woe betide anyone not in the group who tries to sit there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2