Flight school near Oxford?

I'm visiting the UK later this year (assuming it's still U) and will be at Oxford. I like to take a flight, check out where I am from the air. Can anyone recommend a flight school where I could hire a plane (something like a C152 would be fine) + instructor?

Thanks

Oxford Kidlington airport is the closest field to Oxford. From a flight school perspective, it is primarily for commerical students. I haven't been there for years, so can't really give any advice, apart from checking the web and calling/emailing;  maybe GoFly - they seem to do PPLs as well.

If you have a car or access to transport, Enstone Flying Clube (https://www.enstoneflyingclub.co.uk/) would be my choice. Bicester is prrobably closer, but I think it is gliding only.

An alternate suggestion....Drive 1-1/2h to Old Warden airfield near Biggleswade to check out the amazing Shuttleworth Collection of flying vintage aircraft. You’ll easily fill in a day there and there’s an excellent cafe on site.

On the way back to Oxford you’ll drive past Bletchley Park which is a must-see if you’re remotely interested in WW2 history. 

Assume also that you’re aware of the vehicle restrictions in Oxford...If not, read up ahead of your trip. 

• Like 1

Or, alternatively, about an hour and a half to Staverton (Gloucestershire), to the Jet Age Museam.. mainly meteorts, but a few others; and free; and then to some of the other schools/clubs for a flight. Undoubtedlly, if you're after checking out  a vintage aircraft collection, Suttleworth has more variety.

Edited by Jerry_Atrick
  • Agree 1

I'll stick a thumbs up for Enstone.

Lovely place to fly out of and I had my plane based there and did some training years ago out of Enstone before moving south of London.

Best bit of Enstone is that its far enough away from active military routes and generally busy airfields so you can pootle around without having to know EXACTLY where you are

It's not so much fun when you have to maintain accuracy of nav over unfamiliar land to within 200m lateral and 100ft vertical as you do in much of the south east around London operating into/around airspace.

Edited by kasper
  • Like 1