Tracking military aircraft flights?

Is there a way of finding out what military flights occurred in your area?

Yesterday morning (Mothers Day) at 0810 local a very fast, pure jet sounding aircraft passed low overhead. We raced outside, but it was out of sight.

Perhaps significantly, the army's Cultana training area restricted airspace was active at this time.

My thoughts were:- What if I had chosen that moment to conduct an inspection flight over our neighbourhood? 

• Like 1

The only way I've found is to have either FlightRadar or FlightAware receivers - or your own DIY ADS-B solution - at home. Their server will often block the public display of MIL TFC on their respective websites, but you can often see them when you log into the receiver directly. 

Of course, they (Ronny) also have a habit of running with their IFF off which makes sense in their training environment, so this is not a guarantee.

7 hours ago, bushcaddy105 said:

Perhaps significantly, the army's Cultana training area restricted airspace was active at this time.

My thoughts were:- What if I had chosen that moment to conduct an inspection flight over our neighbourhood

You've answered the question yourself..

3 hours ago, Bosi72 said:

You've answered the question yourself..

Not sure of your answer, Bosi72. We live on the eastern side of Spencer Gulf under Class G airspace, as is Port Pirie aerodrome from where I fly - nowhere near the restricted area. My comment was sounding out the possibility of military aircraft  heading for Cultana.

Please explain ???

Your initial post didn't mention place of your residence. It sounded like you were living inside the restricted area. 

Regardless, as a general rule check the NOTAMS and fly "see and avoid". Defence won't publish time table of their flights.

Submitting a flight plan is good idea as you might get a call from the Briefing office with valuable information relevant to your flight.

When I was working I used to do a lot of flying against the FA18 and they never used ADSB. Zooming around with your balls on fire in R279 brings back memories. I guess when the area is active the use of ADSB is not needed?