Rotax 912 'wreckers'. Any such place?

danny_galaga

Bogus Parts are a real problem in the larger aviation Industry.  You should know the HISTORY of what's put in your  motor unless it's used in a swamp boat. Even then the Gators might get you if you Linger longer.  Nev

• Agree 1
  • Haha 2

I agree if I'm getting a fuel pump for a Boeing 737 jet engine, then maybe I should follow provenance. If however, I need the left carby throttle arm for a Rotax 912, then a simple visual inspection should suffice 😉

Edited by danny_galaga
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, danny_galaga said:

I agree if I'm getting a fuel pump for a Boeing 737 jet engine, then maybe I should follow provenance. If however, I need the left carby throttle arm for a Rotax 912, then a simple visual inspection should suffice 😉

Just buy a new arm from local BMW dealer 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Area-51 said:

Just buy a new arm from local BMW dealer 🤷🏼‍♂️

Part number? I've noticed that the BMW starter is about the same as the 912 so I suspect they have a similar pricing structure for spares. If I have a part number I can easily find if it's cheaper. Or in fact see if a motorcycle wrecker has a trashed carby for cheap.

But I don't want to hunt around, enduring many blank stares (see my starter cable thread) only to finally find out it costs the same as getting it from aircraft spruce, where I don't have to talk to any bored employee watching the clock 😄

A lot of motorcycle write offs sit in the weather at some time. I wouldn't touch a Bing that has had water in it. (0r any other alloy carb for that matter)   You also run the risk of it having been "monstered" by some gorilla with a wrench/stillsons/hammer. Nev

30 minutes ago, danny_galaga said:

Part number? I've noticed that the BMW starter is about the same as the 912 so I suspect they have a similar pricing structure for spares. If I have a part number I can easily find if it's cheaper. Or in fact see if a motorcycle wrecker has a trashed carby for cheap.

But I don't want to hunt around, enduring many blank stares (see my starter cable thread) only to finally find out it costs the same as getting it from aircraft spruce, where I don't have to talk to any bored employee watching the clock 😄

You use the Californian online parts catalogues to get part numbers; their State Laws require public freely have access to this kind of vendor information.

38 minutes ago, facthunter said:

A lot of motorcycle write offs sit in the weather at some time. I wouldn't touch a Bing that has had water in it. (0r any other alloy carb for that matter)   You also run the risk of it having been "monstered" by some gorilla with a wrench/stillsons/hammer. Nev

I still think the throttle arm will pass my criterion 😉

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Area-51 said:

You use the Californian online parts catalogues to get part numbers; their State Laws require public freely have access to this kind of vendor information.

Oh well. Aircraft spruce it is...

4 hours ago, facthunter said:

19 hours ago, onetrack said:

I don't think "wreckers", and "aviation safety", are two words you would really want to see in the same sentence.

what about the graveyard in america. every part that can be reused is saved. huge spare parts warehouse that keeps a lot of older aircraft flying.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

The aircraft graveyard is not exactly a "wreckers yard". Everything in the aircraft graveyard is carefully protected, unlike "wreckers" where stuff stops where it drops, and gorillas with big shifters rip off the parts you want.

Plus, it's all unprotected out in the weather, and they forklift vehicles around without a great deal of care.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, onetrack said:

The aircraft graveyard is not exactly a "wreckers yard". Everything in the aircraft graveyard is carefully protected, unlike "wreckers" where stuff stops where it drops, and gorillas with big shifters rip off the parts you want.

Plus, it's all unprotected out in the weather, and they forklift vehicles around without a great deal of care.

a monkey wrench would work better | Monkeys funny, Funny pictures, Gas ...

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, onetrack said:

A lot of the motorcycle wreckers I've been to have the most important stuff indoors. Different sort of scene to car wreckers. 

• Informative 1

3 hours ago, danny_galaga said:

A lot of the motorcycle wreckers I've been to have the most important stuff indoors. Different sort of scene to car wreckers. 

There is a YouTube video of a  car wreckers in the UK which is amazing.

They have a reverse production line where the cars are stripped and everything is tagged and shelved as it is removed. At the end of the line the body shells go off to scrap metal recycling. All the fluids are removed. Oil gets recycled. Diesel ends up in the larger fork lifts and scrap handling machines. All their smaller forklifts are electric and recharged off solar panels on the facilities roof. And the place was immaculate. Not what you normally think of .

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

33 minutes ago, BrendAn said:

There is a YouTube video of a  car wreckers in the UK which is amazing.

They have a reverse production line where the cars are stripped and everything is tagged and shelved as it is removed. At the end of the line the body shells go off to scrap metal recycling. All the fluids are removed. Oil gets recycled. Diesel ends up in the larger fork lifts and scrap handling machines. All their smaller forklifts are electric and recharged off solar panels on the facilities roof. And the place was immaculate. Not what you normally think of .

• Informative 3

7 hours ago, BrendAn said:

a monkey wrench would work better | Monkeys funny, Funny pictures, Gas ...

That's Eddy!!! Where is he working now? Lost his number and been trying to track that bastard down for years; still owes me a set of valves...

• Haha 2