The importance of checklists. ✅

I'll have to start writing one for my plane soon I guess. It will even have 'turn on skyecho2' on the list. Naturally it will include a parkbrake check 😀

Plane failed to take off due to parking brake not being fully released, safety report finds - ABC News https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-05-17/tas-plane-failed-to-take-off-due-to-parking-brake-still-being-on/102358096

7029abdca83d68068d150b76cb40e6a2.jpeg

Edited by danny_galaga
  • Informative 1

"Checklist": "systematic list intended for reference, verification, etc.," 1849, American English.

Let's abandon this obsession with American English. From the early days of aviation the French language has sufficed.  Those moveable surfaces on the outer rear of the wings are ailerons - from French aileron, diminutive of aile "wing".

Say, "No" to "checklist"! It's an aide memoire , which has the implication that you learned something and  have it in your memory. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Informative 1

A CHECKlist is just that. A  CHECK that vital actions have been performed.  Using it as a prompt is not the intended purpose. EMERGENCY items are memory items but when you have time you'd follow up with a checklist.   Nev

• Informative 1

As is often the case, I differ, just a little, from Nev - it may be my age but I find having a comprehensive "Check List" also acts as prompt -  for whatever reason item C comes after A&B  and before D

My check list is a work in progress, in that I have abbreviated, relocated, added and on occasion removed items, as I feel it assists with my "good piloting"

Edited by skippydiesel
  • Informative 1

In 3 crew Planes this varies as one person can commit to FLYING the plane while the other two do a READ AND ACT  from a spring binder checklist always readily available. Nev

Edited by facthunter
spelling

Of course it will prompt you to do what you may have missed. That's it's ultimate purpose but many actions are relative to a situation and the sequence may have to be varied to fit in.. This often brings people unstuck as it's not what they generally do. STANDARD thing s are often just something you RELATE to. You have to remain aware of your ALTERED situation. and adapt.  Checks are your backup..  Nev

Most Pilot Operating handbooks will have a detailed list of items to be checked under a main header of "Normal Procedures" or something similar and will have the list sub headed providing some additional information e.g. Left Wing Trailing edge (heading) and (item) Aileron- Check security  and full and free movement, whereas a checklist in the cockpit is usually on a card. The aileron will be on 2 checklists, one being the preflight walk around inspection and the other on the card in the cockpit (full & free meovement).

The full POH checklist can run in to several pages whereas the card in the cockpit is a simple memory jogger to make sure each check is carried out.

If you think you have everything committed to memory, think again. You will forget someting sooner or later. Our aircraft may be simple but we still forget things and adhering to a checklist is the best way help prevent this.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, kgwilson said:

If you think you have everything committed to memory, think again.

Hey! I wasn't advocating committing things to memory. I just wanted to ditch the Americanism.

• Informative 1

Interestingly, the checklists taught to students seem to bear little resemblance to the actual checklist for the aircraft.

This is the C172 pre landing checklist from the POH:

- Seat backs - most upright position

- Seats and seatbelts secured and locked

- Fuel selector - BOTH

- Mixture - rich

- Landing/taxi lights on

- Autopilot - OFF

The PA28 pre landing checklist:

- Fuel - fullest tank

- Seat backs - erect

- Seatbelts - fastened

- Fuel pump - ON

- Mixture - set

- Flaps - set

There are differences there that could be the subject of debate (C172 has flaps in the descent checklist) but there are definitely items there that are typically left off the commonly used checklists.

• Informative 1

Some people think they don't need them. Early on when airlines were starting out a lot of pilots resented being "required" to do them. It should not be a book that tells you everything because it's too slow and unwieldy. In an inflight fire you make have to reduce the list to the most essential Items that apply to that situation because TIME is of the essence.  I ALWAYS do a checklist You are a fool if you don't. but don't just RECITE it" CHECK the item called. Like a take off flap setting. In one instance I know of FULL Flap had been selected. Nev

It's more important when you switch aircraft types - retract or fixed gear, fixed pitch or constant speed, etc.

Being very aware of my own fallibility, I find it reassuring to go through the check list, item by item.

In creating the check list, I considered myself first but have also assumed others may, at times, fly my aircraft  so have information for those pilots as well.

I have laminated each section, punched a hole through the laminates and attached them all together, in order, with a key ring loop, so they can be easily "flipped".

My check list starts with the "normal" items from Pre-flight right through to post flight Shutdown, that all pilots will be familiar with but specific to my unique aircraft.  One item of this section "Brief Passenger" requires a flip almost to the back of my laminates, where I have a set of words for my occasional passengers. I also have an emergency list (in red). A list of engine performance parameters, capacities, fuel flow at nominated rpm/MAP settings , and helpful items like tyre pressures, etc

• Like 4

I used to commit as much to memory as possible; I have dispensed with the normal ops checklists committed to memory and try to commit the likely emergency checklists and of course, the late final check list.. I had a friend make be a plate for a RAM mount (I don't use tablets when flying), and have flip top laminated checklist mounted on it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Blueadventures said:

Hi Danny  This is my checklist setup.  If you want a copy pm email and I'll send it to you.  May be helpful that you can edit the info and layout.  Cheers.  You must be getting close to flight??

20181104_074015 flight checklist.jpg

IMG_4113.JPG

IMG_4118.JPG

Thanks Mike, I need to do this for each of my aircraft 🙂 

21 hours ago, skippydiesel said:

Being very aware of my own fallibility, I find it reassuring to go through the check list, item by item.

In creating the check list, I considered myself first but have also assumed others may, at times, fly my aircraft  so have information for those pilots as well.

I have laminated each section, punched a hole through the laminates and attached them all together, in order, with a key ring loop, so they can be easily "flipped".

My check list starts with the "normal" items from Pre-flight right through to post flight Shutdown, that all pilots will be familiar with but specific to my unique aircraft.  One item of this section "Brief Passenger" requires a flip almost to the back of my laminates, where I have a set of words for my occasional passengers. I also have an emergency list (in red). A list of engine performance parameters, capacities, fuel flow at nominated rpm/MAP settings , and helpful items like tyre pressures, etc

I had a mini version laminated in the 182, tucked into the bracket of the VHF just in front of door, every time I hopped in, list out, check, flip page. Trying to do from memory and little things get missed, might just be the beginning of hole in cheese lining up.

I don’t think it made me a lesser pilot by using it, I had the landing checks on dash, my local airport diagram on sun visor back and radio frees of all local CTAFS next to radio.

• Informative 1

I created a PDF of our checklists and added them to the ‘documents’ section of OzRunways so they were always one tap away, and I made it a habit to always consult them at each phase of flight (this after I once forgot to set flaps prior to take-off fully loaded from Polo Flats (Cooma) on a warm day - could have been a disaster if I’d pushed the initial climb). 

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

I also have checklists printed on laminated cards and use them for every flight. It gets my mind focussed and I know that I haven’t missed anything.

• Like 4

I like the idea of reading out aloud what the status is.
I.e. oil is 100psi, fuel is 3/4 of a tank, parking brake is off.
instead of the quick, yep that's where its meant to be

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, spenaroo said:

I like the idea of reading out aloud what the status is.
I.e. oil is 100psi, fuel is 3/4 of a tank, parking brake is off.
instead of the quick, yep that's where its meant to be

I definitely have a good think about what I read out loud to myself when it comes to the park brake and fuel switch status on the Tecnam. Bloody dyslexics worst nightmare 😄

• Like 2

I once had a "rapid fire" check Captain say Hydraulic pressure  and quantity "checked" when we had none of either. This was a guy who'd want you to rattle off the checklist without taking breath. Had a few run ins with the FOOL. They are OUT THERE. Nev 

Edited by facthunter
spelling
  • Like 3
  • Winner 1