Rough running and engine miss

kgwilson

My Gen3 3300A started running rough between about 2800 & 2950RPM & then after returning from a day at Tenterfield Mag 2 (RH MAG as seen from pilot seat had at least 1 cylinder misfiring. First I swapped out all 6 plugs one at a time with spares I had (used but going perfectly when replaced. I've got 36 of them). No change. Then I borrowed a lead tester & checked all leads. All checked out as good. Next I removed the distributor & it looked perfect but gave it a good clean & used some contact cleaner. Next started the engine, shut down Mag 1 & removed each plug lead 1 at a time. There was a RPM drop on each cylinder. Next got a new (genuine Honda) Coil from Jabiru & replaced the original (Honda knockoff) coil but still the problem existed.

Mag 2 on runup 2000rpm had at least 1 cyliner misfiring. I took off & full power all good & the rough running was less noticeable but still there & full power S&L was 130 knots indicated at about 3200 running smoothly. On shutdown the idle mag check was good on both 1 & 2.

The next thing I can do is swap distributor caps to eliminate that. My current thoughts are that I have a faulty HT lead or maybe 2 even though they all checked out using an HT lead tester.

Anyone had anything similar of have any other ideas?

At work to isolate a cylinder ignition problems on Lycons a spray of paint on the exhaust headers 5 cm from the head, run engine in defect mode, left or right mag etc . Have someone watch the paint start to burn off. Stop engine,the defective cylinder should be obvious as less burned, colder.  

• Informative 6

I tried the cold cylinder procedure as advised by an old LAME by starting the engine on Mag 2 & found cylinder 6 cold. I thought I'd found the problem but after replacing the plug that cylinder wasn't a problem but the miss was still there. This was when it began to get confusing. I think there is/was more than 1 problem. The new coil has solved one of the issues, now I have to find whether the other is the distributor or HT lead/s.

Issue resolved. The coil was the only fault & the new one fixed it. The runup miss was due to about 30-40 engine starts to find the fault & no normal temp or RPM engine running. As mentioned the shutdown mag check was good after the first flight. Next flight was good. Runup no miss on either mag & smooth operation throughout the rpm range plus seemingly more power now.

• Like 6
  • Informative 1