M22 x 1.5mm pitch half nuts (oil cooler mounting)

Marty_d

Hey all,

I need to source 3 of these buggers.  They seem to be made of rocking horse poop because I can't find them anywhere online (except stainless from China or huge postage from UK).  Spent some time in Nuts & Bolts Tasmania this morning and they only had full size ones.  The ones I need are thin - lock nut or half nut - only 6mm thick.

Anyone know where to source these in Aus?  Apparently some 125 Honda (postie bike possibly) has them as axle nuts, I'll chase that angle up on Monday.

Thanks, Marty

There used to be a person operating under the Name "Classic Fasteners".  in Australia. As far as I know, it's still going. Bar that another in UK I can recommend is ACME STAINLESS who makes things from a sample and has ARIEL motorcycle stuff in stock. (Husband and wife team.). Nev

• Like 2

Why don't you cut a standard nut to your ' thickness ' requirement .

I OFTEN CUT " NEEDED " PARTS WITH MY TRUST'Y HACKSAW ,. ( even sparkplugs, for one way valves ) .

spacesailor

• Like 1

15 hours ago, onetrack said:

Hold on, Boltmasters looks like a better bet, they're in Melbourne, too.

https://www.boltmasters.com.au/nuts/machined-nuts/half-lock-nut-metric-fine-bright/jnfib

Thanks OT but I got through to their checkout and they charge $25 shipping,  bringing it to $42 for 3 nuts.

How can the Chinese send them from the other side of the planet for $4 postage??

• Informative 1

If you want a laugh at shipping charges,  take a look at this. It would fit in a A4 bubble wrap pack. (No I didn't buy it)

Screenshot_20230513-192057_eBay.thumb.jpg.028e361812aa13835db6454c4b6221af.jpg

Edited by Kiwi

3 hours ago, Marty_d said:

I got through to their checkout and they charge $25 shipping,

Maybe someone in Melbourne could get them for you and send them. About the cheapest way would be in a CD box and cost under $10 for postage.

I need a coil for my bike from the USA. I expect to pay more for postage than the cost of the coil. ($AU145)

• Like 1

Yes, I'm sick of the postage rorts, they seem to be just an extra money maker for Australian businesses. If you complain, they come back with excuses as to the cost of labour, packaging, etc - but all these are normal business costs, anyway!

USPS has lost vast sums of money over the years (mostly by paying people based on education level, rather than the job they were actually doing - so a mail sorter with a PhD, got a PhD salary!) - and now they're intent on getting it back by exorbitant charges.

eBay rort you on postage, because they won't allow American sellers to ship without using their shipping arrangements, which substantially increases shipping costs.

The Chinese ship cheaply because the Chinese Govt has a big investment in airlines and shipping lines, and the shipping of Chinese items is subsidised, which is their way of supporting Chinese industry and manufacturing.

Marty, let me see if I can find something locally and pop it in an envelope to you. A large letter can be sent Australia-wide for $2.40 and it can be up to 20mm thick and still qualify as a large letter, provided the weight is under 125g. Even if it goes over 125g, as long as its A4 size and less than 20mm thick, it's still only $3.60 for 250g, and $6 for 500g.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, facthunter said:

OME pretty much every coil you'll get for that bike will come from China. Try Redgrave in  Sydney.. Nev

Can't use a single output coil because the system is wasted spark so it has to have two outputs. I had a look at Redgrave's shitty website which is only good for getting a phone number. Geez I hate DIY websites.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Yes, a number of the sites I was looking at trying to source these nuts are woeful.  A search function that lets you set the variables of the item you're after is always best. 

• Agree 1

I called Redgrave's. Finding one of these coils is like finding a hen's tooth in a pile of rocking horse poo. But they used to have one. I have it now!!!

Look out Central NSW! OME will be terrorizing the highways and byways by next weekend.

Well. Not so much terrorizing. You can't frighten many at 80 Kph.

• Haha 2

Marty, I'm sorry, but the news is all bad from my neck of the woods. I went to several fastener suppliers this afternoon and lucked out everywhere.

1. I went to A&M Bolts down the road from my workshop, and he didn't even bother looking! He just said, "Go back to your manufacturer and buy the nut as a part".!

I said, "That could be a bit difficult, the bloke is building an aircraft from a kit!" He just laughed and walked away!! So much for that first attempt!

2. Next up was a rural supplies warehouse - AgParts Warehouse. No joy, they went and looked, and they have never stocked any locknuts like it.

3. I went to United Fasteners, thinking "this is where I should have gone first!". But the request drew furrowed brows and a quick search and a definite, "No"! I thought this strange, as United list them on their website. Maybe they only stock them on the East Coast. The blokes were helpful, and made a suggestion to visit Jaycar, as some aerials use those size nuts.

4. I went to West Coast fasteners (big supplier) and lucked out again, even though they searched and checked their stock records. They've never kept them, nor sold them.

5. I went to Rudd Industrial, who supply virtually everything to do with rural, mining, industrial and construction. Got a helpful girl who looked up the computer and said, "they're $6.60 each" (!) - and she went out to the warehouse to find some.

She came back, and said there were none in stock, and didn't even say if they could get them in. So that was a dud effort, too.

6. In desperation, I dropped into Jaycar and got another very helpful lass, who said they didn't sell individual nuts on their own - but she did have one customer who came in an bought complete switch assemblies, simply for the similar type nuts - and then he binned the switches, because he only needed the nuts, and couldn't get them anywhere else!

I looked at the switches she talked about, and unfortunately, both the switch and the retaining nut (which I think probably was M22 x 1.5), were all plastic! So much for that idea!

So, I'm sorry, these nuts are obviously rocking horse manure. It may help that because there's more manufacturing industry on the East Coast, you will have a better chance of finding the nuts there.

Our suppliers seem to hold mostly mining and construction and rural supplies, here in the West. Good luck with your hunt.

• Winner 1

Hey OT, thanks so much for trying - that sounds like a lot of effort,  I appreciate it!

I may have to take Spacey's advice and cut some full size ones down.

Thanks again!

• Like 1

Ha! Ha! Ha!  That's what you get for going to the Dark Side and using metrics.

The size of a bolt is determined by what loads it has to deal with. The size and type of washers, and bolts follow from that. The designers have calculated those loads and specified size and material. 

An M22 size is a poofteenth smaller than an Imperial 7/8. If the designers had specified Imperial sizes, you could have obtained what you wanted with great ease. 

• Informative 1

So go buy a m22 tap set.

Drill your correct hole in the thickness required, in a piece of metal,  cut the HEX shape, then make your 1.5 tpi .  oops I said " per inch " .

Anyway get the correct tap to suit your job . And hay presto  ! , that next job gets easier. 

Now I just had to get my neighbour out of strife .

He brought a packet of rivets,  but alast too short.  In my box they're all LONG .

WHY . I just knock out the mandrel & saw the rivet to the length required. 

He had Never seen anything so simple ever..

spacesailor

Edited by spacesailor
Issuing words , were did they go
  • Informative 1

9 hours ago, facthunter said:

You won't be able to easily machine auto grade 5.  How are you going to lock them? Split pins and castellated? What about trailer axle nuts?   Nev

Grade 5 and even grade 8 unc or unf nuts and bolts are easily machined with tungsten carbide tooling, I have done this many times. I guess  they could be locked in the same way as most nuts and bolts on any engine.

• Agree 1

I've found a possible source - https://www.mxstore.com.au/p/Bolt-M22-Locking-Axle-Nut-and-Washer/BMAXN22?gclid=Cj0KCQjwmtGjBhDhARIsAEqfDEfkXphi3afbMAkbixo6yRbsqsag2c60xS7D1yKceZ00IROsfw6G7hwaApr1EALw_wcB - just messaged them to ensure the pitch is 1.5, if so I'm laughing as it's free postage over $20.

• Informative 2

You could drill and cut hex profile for the nut shape out of flat bar and buy or borrow a tap to cut the thread.  A bit of time but will deliver easily what you need.  Could fab up in aluminium to be lighter.  Taps cost about 20 to 30 dollars.

• Like 1